Did nine countries just issue travel warnings against the US because of the rising violence there?!
Take a look at the viral claim, and find out what the facts really are!
Claim : 9 Countries Issued Travel Warning On US Violence!
The Chinese 50 Cent Army (wumao, 五毛) and pro-CCP netizens are now promoting articles claiming that nine countries just issued travel warnings against the US because of the rising violence there!
Even Chinese state propaganda outlet Global Times wrote about these new travel warnings of US violence. Here’s an excerpt:
Truth : Those Travel Warnings On US Violence Are Not New!
This is yet another example of FAKE NEWS created and propagated by the Chinese 50 Cent Army (wumao, 五毛), and pro-CCP netizens.
In the following sections, I will share with you what exactly did those nine countries advise, and show you why they are nothing more than common sense advice.
Yes, the US has a gun violence problem, but those nine countries did not advise its citizens against travelling to the US.
Fact #1 : CNN Report Was Not Referring To New Travel Advisories
The CNN report that Global Times and other media outlets referred to was not a “news report”, but a travel article called “What travel warnings do other nations give their citizens about US violence?”
Anyone who reads the article would have noted that the writer, Forrest Brown, did not state that these travel advisories were new.
He was writing to show the people of America what other countries think of them, and was not specifically
Fact #2 : Australia Advised Normal Safety Precautions
Australia did not change its travel advisory for the US, which remains at “Exercise normal safety precautions in the United States of America“. Here are its advice with regard to crime:
- Avoid areas where demonstrations and protests are occurring due to the potential for unrest and violence. Monitor the media for information and updates. Follow the instructions of local authorities, and abide by any curfews in place.
- Violent crime is more common than in Australia. Gun crime is also prevalent. If you live in the US, learn active shooter drills.
- Thieves target travellers. Take care in crowded areas and on public transport. Conceal your valuables, and don’t leave items unattended in your car.
- There is a heightened risk of terrorist attacks in the US. Be alert, particularly in public places and at events.
Fact #3 : Canada Advised Normal Security Precautions
Canada also did not change its travel advisory for the US, which remains at “Take normal security precautions“. Here are its advice with regard to crime:
- Criminal incidents associated with drug trafficking are more frequent at the border with Mexico, in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.
- Petty crime, such as pickpocketing and purse snatching, occurs, particularly in urban centres and tourist locations.
- Within large urban areas, violent crime more commonly occurs in poor neighbourhoods, particularly from dusk to dawn. It often involves intoxication.
- Incidents of violent crime are mainly carried out by gangs or members of organized crime groups but may also be perpetrated by lone individuals. Although violent crime rarely affects tourists.
- The rate of firearm possession in the US is high. It’s legal in many states for US citizens to openly carry firearms in public.
- Incidences of mass shootings occur, resulting most often in casualties. Although tourists are rarely involved, there is a risk of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Fact #4 : UK Advised Sensible Precautions
- Take sensible precautions to protect yourself and your property against petty crime.
- Violent crime, including gun crime, rarely involves tourists, but you should take care when travelling in unfamiliar areas. Avoid walking through less travelled areas alone, especially at night.
- Incidents of mass shooting can occur, but account for a very small percentage of homicide deaths.
- Crime associated with the illegal drugs trade is a major issue in Mexican states bordering Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.
Fact #5 : Israel Says There Is No Travel Threat
Israel did not change its travel advisory for the US, which remains at Threat Level 01 (No Travel Threat). It only asked that its citizens take “basic precautionary measures”.
Fact #6 : France Calls US Among The Safest Countries To Visit
France did not change its travel advisory for the US. In fact, it called “the United States of America is among the safest countries” to visit.
It does, however, tells its citizens to be wary of gun violence and crimes in very specific locations like :
- Boston : gun violence and crime in certain localised areas.
- New York : petty and medium crime, as well as assaults in the subway
- Washington : ordinary crimes like thefts and assaults at night
- Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta : certain areas to be avoided at night
- New Orleans : many cases of pickpocketing and assaults
- Florida : petty crime in tourist areas
Fact #7 : Germany Did Not Change Its Travel Advisory On US Crime
Germany did not change its travel advisory on US crime recently, only on “entry by land via Canada or Mexico”. It tells its citizens to be wary of gun violence and common crimes:
- Pickpocketing, muggings and car break-ins occur in many metropolitan areas in the United States, but the danger varies greatly depending on the town and even within a large city depending on the neighborhood.
- In poorer neighborhoods, risks for travelers increase, especially after dark, as well as in some tourist areas and on public transport. Shop robberies have increased noticeably in some cities in recent months.
- It is easy to obtain guns in the United States , leading to increased use of firearms and occasional killing sprees. The number of arms and ammunition purchases has increased significantly during the COVID-19 crisis.
Fact #8 : Mexico Does Not Even Have Travel Advisory For US!
Anyone who read the CNN article would have known that Mexico (currently) does not have any travel advisory for the US. The CNN research team had to dig up a May 2021 travel advisory, which stated that:
- historical racial and ethnic tension, including opposition to immigration, have led to attacks by violent extremist groups
- citizens are advised to avoid large crowds, and should always carry a copy of their Mexican passport and an official photo ID
Fact #8 : Japan Warns Its Citizens About Gun Crime
As Japan is a gun-free nation, its government warned its citizens visiting the US that “one of the main security concerns in the United States is gun crime“, with advice on how to get out of an active shooter situation:
- Find security exits in a new place and have an evacuation plan
- Escape regardless of whether others agree or not
- Hide in a room and barricade the door using heavy furniture
- Keep quiet and mute cell phones
Fact #9 : New Zealand Was Worried About Terrorism Threat
New Zealand did not change its travel advisory on US crime for quite a long time, with the threat level remaining at Level 2 of 4 (Exercise increased caution), due to the “threat of terrorism”.
When it comes to crime, it offered the same common sense advice as other countries:
- Petty crime such as theft and pickpocketing can occur, particularly in urban centres, tourist locations and on public transport.New Zealanders should stay alert to their surroundings, stay vigilant on public transport and avoid leaving belongings unattended, including in rental vehicles.
- You should avoid crossing the border by car into Mexico from Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas. There have been increased incidents of crime associated with drug trading.
- There is a higher incidence of violent crime and firearm possession than in New Zealand. In many states, it is legal for United States citizens to openly carry firearms in public. However, crime rates vary considerably across cities and suburbs and incidents rarely involve tourists. New Zealanders should take care when travelling in unfamiliar areas.
- Active shooter incidents occur in the United States.
Ultimately, this is just another example of Chinese propaganda propagated by the infamous Chinese 50 Cent Army (wumao, 五毛), and pro-CCP netizens.
Please help us fight fake news – SHARE this article, and SUPPORT our work!
- China Lifts Some COVID-19 Restrictions Over Protests!
- Apple Limits AirDrop To Help China Prevent Protests!
- Is US Stealing TSMC Chip Technologies From Taiwan?!
- How NVIDIA A800 Bypasses US Chip Ban On China!
- Chinese Spies Caught Interfering With HUAWEI Case!
Go Back To > Travel | Fact Check | Tech ARP