Can you really get a RM1,000 MCO fine for standing just 0.8 metres apart in a queue?
Find out what happened to Bernard He, and what the FACTS really are!
Claim : RM1K MCO Fine For Standing 0.8m Apart In Queue!
On 4 February, Bernard He Linjun was queuing up for his turn at cash deposit machine at a bank, when the police came to check for compliance with the MCO SOP.
The police officers took pictures at the bank, asked customers for their MyKad identity cards, and then instructed them to wait outside after using the ATM machines.
Bernard thought he was safe because he logged his visit using MySejahtera, and had queued up properly – standing inside the designated queue box.
Nevertheless, when his turn came, he was issued a RM1,000 MCO fine for not complying with the social distancing SOP!
When he questioned the police officer, he was told that while he was standing inside the marked box, they were all less than 1 metre apart.
According to the police, the boxes were only 0.8 metres apart, and the bank did not adjust their spacing even after being warned about this earlier.
As this was a technical violation of the law, they had to issue him the compound. They also fined the bank for violating the SOP.
RM1K MCO Fine For Standing 0.8m Apart In Queue : The Facts
Some netizens have suggested that he may not be telling the truth. After all, similar claims have proven to be false in the past.
Others have also suggested that he was complaining on Facebook to gain sympathy, fame or attention.
However, Bernard was telling the truth, and here are the reasons why….
Fact #1 : He Posted A Picture Of His Compound
On 5 February 2021, Bernard posted a picture of the police compound he received.
It showed that he was, indeed, fined RM1,000 on 4 February 2021, for not complying with the social distancing SOP.
Fact #2 : There Is A 1 Metre Social Distancing Requirement In Public
There is a 1 metre social distancing requirement in public, including businesses like banks and shopping malls.
Even though it is hard for anyone to visually differentiate between 0.8 metre and a full metre, the police are technically correct to say that standing 0.8 metre from someone else is breaking the law.
To be safe, try to stand further away (1.5 to 2 metres) from other people. If they complain, use Bernard’s example as evidence that this is no joke.
Do also note that the social distancing rule is extended to a minimum of 3 metres for dynamic sporting activities.
Fact #3 : You Can Appeal The Decision
If you feel that the police wrongly issued the MCO fine, you can appeal it.
In Bernard’s case, he was relying on the bank to accurately space out their “social distancing boxes” for their customers.
He may not necessarily win his appeal, but he has a good reason to appeal.
After all, no one brings a measuring tape to ensure social distancing, and we all rely on marked boxes to comply with the SOP.
Bernard’s Posts On His RM1K MCO Fine
For those who can read Chinese, here was what Bernard He posted about how he received a RM1,000 MCO fine for not complying with the social distancing SOP :
- Fact Check : FREE Petronas Petrol This February?
- Malaysia “Corrects” SOP For Chinese New Year!
- Chinese New Year SOP For MCO Lacks Common Sense
- Updated SOP for MCO / PKP 2.0 : What You Need To Know!
- Fact Check : Dr Noor Hisham Tendered His Resignation?
- Ministry of Education Website Uses Plain Text CAPTCHA!
- Dr Clo Disinfectant Sticks : Do They Work Against COVID-19?
- Fact Check : February 2021 Happens Once Every 823 Years!
- Did Larry King Die From COVID-19 After Surviving Cancer?
- Scam Alert : East Malaysia Seafood Agent On Facebook!
- Scam Alert : Ocean Sense Seafood On Facebook!
- Beware Of AirAsia X Scam On WhatsApp!
- Why You Should NOT Move WhatsApp Chats To Telegram!
- Can Ivermectin Really Cure Or Prevent COVID-19?
- Eurocham Leak Of Malaysia Shutdown : Please Don’t Panic!
- Why Thousands Of Vaccinated Israelis Got COVID-19 Anyway
- Focus On Fauci : These Vaccine Lies Can Get You KILLED!
- 23 Post-Vaccination Deaths In Norway : The Facts + The BS!
- Can Inhaling Steam + Supplements Prevent COVID-19?
- Can This Corona Kashayam Recipe Prevent COVID-19?
- Fact Check : Can Betadine + Listerine Prevent COVID-19?
- HUAWEI New Year Gift Scam : Don’t Click Or Share!
- Maybank B40 Subsidy Scam : Do NOT Click Or Call!
- Tesco New Year Scam Alert : Do NOT Click / Forward!
- Fake CIMB SMS Scam! Do NOT Click / Call!
- COVID-19 Email Scams + Malware Are Spreading!
Go Back To > Fact Checks | Travel | Home