Malaysia is creating a Langkawi island travel bubble as a pilot project for the reopening of tourism!
Here is what you need to know about the Langkawi island tourism bubble!
Note : This has been superseded by the Langkawi International Tourism Bubble.
Langkawi Island Tourism Bubble : What You Need To Know!
On 9 September 2021, the Malaysia Ministry of Tourism, Art and Culture unveiled details of the Langkawi Island Tourism Bubble.
This pilot project is the first step towards the reopening of the tourism industry in Malaysia, and here are the details…
Who Can Visit Langkawi Island?
The Langkawi Island Tourism Bubble will be open to tourists from all over Malaysia, including residents of PPN Phase 1 areas, but excluding residents of EMCO (PKPD) areas.
However, this travel bubble is limited to domestic tourists only. Tourists from overseas are not allowed.
In addition, it is limited to individuals who are fully-vaccinated, and children below 18 years of age.
When Can You Visit Langkawi Island?
Domestic tourists will be able to travel to Langkawi island starting 16 September 2021 – Malaysia Day.
How To Travel To Langkawi Island?
Domestic tourists will be allowed to travel by land and air to Langkawi Island, subject to these restrictions :
- If you are travelling by land, you must use the services of travel agencies, at least for travel to the jetty for the Langkawi ferry.
- Residents of Kedah and Perlis, and people travelling by air, do NOT need to use the services of travel agencies.
Langkawi Island Tourism Bubble : Mandatory SOP
This is the SOP that all tourists who want to travel to Langkawi island must abide with :
- Limited to individuals who are fully-vaccinated, according to these requirements :
– More than 28 days after receiving a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson or Cansino vaccine.
– More than 14 days after receiving both doses of the Pfizer, AstraZeneca or Sinovac vaccine.
- There is no age limit for entry to Langkawi Island, and individuals below 18 years of age must travel with their parents / guardians who are fully-vaccinated.
- Allowed holidays include day trips (going and returning on the same day), overnight stays, holidays with pre-booked accommodation / tickets, holiday packages from licensed tour agencies.
- The number of passengers in each vehicle is limited to the vehicle’s maximum capacity.
- Tourists are allowed to stay overnight in registered accommodations in Kedah and Perlis to make it for their ferry service to Langkawi island.
- Tourists must show evidence of a tourism product like a flight ticket, ferry ticket, hotel receipt or tour package receipt while applying for permission from the police, and whenever requested by enforcement agencies.
- Permitted activities under the Langkawi Tourism Bubble include :
– Hotel and homestay accommodation, including on-premise facilities like prayer room, swimming pool, gymnasium, lounge, hall, MICE business events, tourism and cultural events, subject to the PPN Phase 4 SOP.
– Beach activities, water sports, snorkelling, scuba diving, fishing, edutainment centres, recreational parks, extreme / adventure / nature parks, farms, aquariums, zoom and other recreational and social activities.
– Special tourism activities like golfing, scuba diving, cycling, angling, yachting and so on.
– Eco-tourism activities like bird watching, caving, mountain climbing, white water rafting, hiking, jungle trekking, camping and so on.
– Art, culture and heritage premises like museum, library, art gallery, cultural village or centre, cultural performance and so on.
– Theme park and family entertainment centre, and
– Academic centres like Geopark Discovery Center, Balai Seni, and Laman Padi.
- Travel insurance and COVID-19 screening are NOT required.
The Malaysia Ministry of Tourism, Art and Culture (MOTAC) will monitor this pilot programme for two weeks, and the results will determine if the government can open up more travel destinations.
- KL, Selangor + Putrajaya Upgraded To PPN Phase 2!
- Entertainment + Creative Industry Reopens For Vaccinated!
- Fact Check : Malaysia Approved Ivermectin For COVID-19?
- Why You Should NEVER Wear Gloves At Gas / Petrol Station!
- New In MySejahtera : Risk Level, Vax Status + Check-Out!
- Melaka + Negeri Sembilan Upgraded To PPN Phase 2 + 3!