Must foreigners in Malaysia carry their passport at all times, because there is a massive operation to weed out illegal foreigners?
Find out what’s the latest viral message, and what the facts really are!
Massive Immigration Op, Have Your Passport At All Times?
A viral message has gone out, purporting to be a warning from Malaysia Immigration Director-General Dato’ Indera Khairul Dzaimee Bin Daud, with his picture attached :
Must Foreigners In Malaysia Carry Their Passport At All Times?
Fact #1 : The Viral Message Is Fake, But…
First of all, we should point out that the Malaysia Immigration Department has officially denounced the viral message as FAKE.
That said, we believe that they are referring to the claim of a “massive OPERATION to weed out all illegal immigrants” or that it was “to enable us [to] roll out vaccination for our citizens.”
Before we get to the law, let’s take a look at their statement, with our English translation :
PENAFIAN : BERITA PALSU
Orang ramai dinasihatkan supaya tidak terperdaya dengan BERITA PALSU menggunakan gambar Ketua Pengarah Imigresen.
Segera laporkan kepada Jabatan Imigresen Malaysia jika terdapat sebarang berita yang meragukan supaya tindakan sewajarnya dapat diambil.
DENIAL : FAKE NEWS
The public is advised not to be fooled by the FAKE NEWS using the picture of the Director General of Immigration.
Immediately report to the Malaysian Immigration Department if there is any suspicious news so that appropriate action can be taken.
Fact #2 : Foreigners Must Have Passport / Travel Document At All Times
Even though the message above is FALSE, foreigners should carry their passport or travel document with them at all times during their stay in Malaysia.
According to Section 6(3) of the Immigration Act 1959/63, all foreigners must be able to produce a genuine passport / travel document / entry permit with a valid endorsement / pass upon request.
Failure to produce a valid passport or travel document, with a valid pass, could result in these penalties
- a compound of RM3,000, or
- a fine of up to RM10,000 and/or up to 5 years imprisonment
In their advisory to foreigners, the Malaysian Immigration Department states :
As such foreign visitors are reminded :-
- To take precaution on the safety of their passport / travel document and must carry with them during their stay in Malaysia.
- Must ascertain that they produced their passport / travel document to an Immigration officer at the point of entry and has been issued with the relevant pass.
- To report immediately to the Immigration Department for the lost of their passport / travel document.
So it really doesn’t matter if there is a massive operation to weed out illegal immigrants or not. All foreigners should carry their passport / travel document with them at all times.
- Public Bank : More Fake SMS Scams! Do NOT Click / Call!
- SUKE Project : Concrete Block Fell Off Lorry, Not Ours!
- Malaysia COVID-19 Vaccine Plan : 25 March 2021 Edition!
- How To Register Your Maid For COVID-19 Vaccine!
- LEGOLAND Malaysia : Closed After Multiple COVID-19 Cases!
- Pub + Nightclub Ban : Fine Quietly Slashed By Half!
- Act 342 Offences : COVID-19 Fines, Discounts + FAQ!
- Malaysia Approves COVID-19 Vaccine Injury Fund!
- Malaysia Buys More Pfizer + Sinovac COVID-19 Vaccines!
- SUKE Highway Crane + Beam Collapse Kills 3, Injures 1!
- Did NYT Rank 4 Chinese Vaccines As Safest In The World?
- Was Pfizer Vaccine Designed To Make COVID-19 Endemic?
- Must You Scan MySejahtera Every Hour At Cafe / Restaurant?
- US Tax : How Much YouTube Income Will You Lose?
- Malaysia : Up to RM500K Fine + 6 Year Jail For Fake News!
- Flower of the Holy Spirit Transforms From Saint To Dove?
- 460 Deaths + 243,612 Injuries From COVID Vaccines In UK?
- Seafood Scams On Facebook : How To Detect Them!
- Scam Alert : Remote Control Electricity Saver!
- Dr Clo Disinfectant Sticks : Do They Work Against COVID-19?
- CNN Reporter Caught Faking Chinese Translation On TV?
Go Back To > Travel | Fact Checks | Home