Take a look at the AMD Radeon RX 6800’s Vulkan Ray Tracing performance in Quake 2 RTX – the world’s first cross-vendor Vulkan Ray Tracing game!
Vulkan Ray Tracing : What Is It?
Vulkan is an open-source and cross-platform graphics API. It offers better performance to graphics APIs like OpenGL, DirectX and Metal.
In November 2020, The Khronos Group released the final Vulkan Ray Tracing extension specifications, followed by an upgraded Vulkan SDK with full Ray Tracing support on 15 December 2020.
This allows developers to easily integrate ray tracing into their games for any GPU that supports the “VK_KHR_ray_tracing_pipeline” extension.
Vulkan Ray Tracing (Quake 2 RTX) On AMD Radeon RX 6800!
On 15 December 2020, Quake 2 RTX was updated to support Vulkan Ray Tracing, becoming the world’s first game to support it!
With support for Vulkan Ray Tracing, not only can NVIDIA RTX cards run Quake 2 RTX, so can the new AMD Radeon 6000 series graphics cards!
So we thought – what the heck, let’s give the Radeon RX 6800 a spin, and see how well it does in Quake 2 RTX!
At the 1080p resolution, the Radeon RX 6800 was able to maintain an average frame rate of between 55-65 fps. Definitely the best resolution to play.
At the 1440p resolution, the Radeon RX 6800 was able to maintain an average frame rate of between 35-42 fps. Quite playable.
At the 4K resolution, the Radeon RX 6800 was only able to deliver an average frame rate of between 15-18 fps. Real jerky!
Quake 2 RTX : Vulkan Ray Tracing Requirements
This is what you require :
- Download and install Quake 2 RTX 1.4.0 or newer
– Requires Radeon RX 6000 series, or future RDNA 2, cards.
– Upgrade to Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.2 Beta or newer
– Requires GeForce RTX / Quadro RTX graphics cards.
– Upgrade to Game Ready Driver 460.89 (Windows) or 460.27.04 (Linux), or newer
- Quake 2 RTX Now Supports Vulkan Ray Tracing!
- 11 FREE Steam Games + DLCs On 14 December 2020!
- Warface : How To Get FREE DLC, VIP Booster + Weapons!
- Captain Tsubasa : How To Get FREE Bandai Namco DLC!
- Mosaique Neko Waifus 2 : How To Get It FREE!
- Warframe : Get FREE Unreal Tournament Weapon Bundle!
- Acer Predator : New December 2020 Desktop + Monitor!
- Soulless : Ray of Hope is FREE for a Limited Time!
- Tyranny Gold Edition : Get It FREE For A Limited Time!
- Pillars of Eternity : Get It FREE For A Limited Time!
- 2020 HP OMEN 15 Gaming Laptop : What You Need To Know!
- AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT : Ultimate Big Navi @ Just $999!
- Stalingrad : Get It FREE For A Limited Time!
- LightFish : How To Get This Arcade Game FREE!
- The Witcher Enhanced Edition : How To Get It FREE!
- Apple M1 Gaming : Watch It Run The Witcher 3!
- Kalaban : How To Get This Horror Game For FREE!
- RUNE 2 : Dragon Armour Set is FREE for a Limited Time!
- Chainsaw Warrior : How To Get This Game For FREE!
- 23 FREE Minecraft Items To Own, As Of 1 December 2020!
- AMD Smart Access Memory (PCIe Resizable BAR) Guide
- Influent + 3 DLCs : How To Get Them FREE!
- RX 6800 XT Smart Access Memory Performance Comparison!
- AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Review : RDNA 2 Rocks!
- How To Setup NVIDIA NULL For G-SYNC Monitors Correctly!
- NVIDIA Image Sharpening Guide for DirectX, Vulkan, OpenGL!
Go Back To > Games + Gaming | Software | Home
Support Tech ARP!
If you like our work, you can help support us by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!