We reached out to AMD about the last-minute Radeon RX 5600 XT overclocking, and here are a couple of things we found out…
Last Minute Radeon RX 5600 XT Overclocking : What Happened?
The AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT launched with a TGP of 150 watts, a 1375 MHz game clock, a 1560 MHz boost clock and 12 Gbps GDDR6 memory.
But less than a week before it was made available for sale, AMD gave it a big boost in these respects :
- Up to 20.7% higher game clock
- Up to 12% higher boost clock
- Up to 16.7% higher memory clock
- Up to 10W higher TGP
All that overclocking makes the Radeon RX 5600 XT quite a different beast from what was initially announced, and better positions it against the discounted NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 cards.
Recommended : Yes! AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Gets SUPER Power-Up!
AMD On The Last Minute Radeon RX 5600 XT Overclocking
We reached out to AMD about this last-minute overclocking of the Radeon RX 5600 XT, and here is what we found out :
No Change In Specifications
Officially, the AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT never received a power-up, and the official specifications will not change.
Like the RX 5500 XT, the RX 5600 XT does not have a reference card, and can only be purchased from an AMD AIB partner.
AMD only provides a minimum set of specifications for the RX 5600 XT and it is up to their AIB partners to configure their cards as they see fit.
As far as they are concerned, the official specifications are what their partners “start from”, and this last-minute Radeon RX 5600 XT overclocking is nothing more than a decision by their AIB partner.
No Change In Price
AMD also clarified that there will be no change in the SEP of US$279, even though NVIDIA recently slashed the price of their GeForce RTX 2060 down to US$299.
Again, that is their recommended e-tail price – “starting from“, which means their AIB partners are free to charge whatever they want.
Recommended : SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 5600 XT In-Depth Review!
Now, that’s AMD’s official word.
Unofficially, we understand that there is a scramble to reprogram cards that have already been shipped, so they will be sold with the power-up BIOS for higher clock speeds and TGP.
When it comes to the SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 5600 XT we have over here, it is notable that even though it was an overclocked part, it launched with a 150W TGP and 12 Gbps memory.
Yet, just days before it’s available for sale, they greatly boosted its clock speeds and increased its TGP… and changed their website to reflect the new specifications.
It is unlikely that SAPPHIRE would have done so without AMD’s “recommendation”, because if they wanted to launch the PULSE RX 5600 XT with the supercharged specifications, they would have done so from the get-go.
It is insane for them to pull a last-minute change like that, because it would mean getting their distributors to manually update the cards that had earlier been shipped.
But whatever the reasons, this makes the SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 5600 XT a far more exciting card than it would have been. And certainly, much better value for the money… if Sapphire does not charge more for the power-up!
Update : All other AMD AIB partners have also released their Radeon RX 5600 XT power-up BIOS updates!
AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Specifications Compared!
Even without the boost, the RX 5600 XT already delivers higher texture and pixel fill rates than the RTX 2060. But the boost gave it parity in memory bandwidth, which we think will matter a lot.
|Transistors||10.8 billion||10.3 billion||10.3 billion||10.3 billion|
|Fab Process||12 nm||7 nm||7 nm||7 nm|
|Total Graphics Power||160 W||160 W||150 W||150 W|
|Game Clock||1365 MHz||1660 MHz||1375 MHz||1375 MHz|
|Boost Clock||1680 MHz||1750 MHz||1560 MHz||1560 MHz|
|Max. Texture Rate||201.6 GT/s||252.0 GT/s||224.6 GT/s||199.7 GT/s|
|Max. Pixel Rate||80.6 GP/s||112.0 GP/s||99.8 GP/s||99.8 GP/s|
|Memory Size||6 GB||6 GB||6 GB||6 GB|
|Memory Speed||14 Gbps||14 Gbps||12 Gbps||12 Gbps|
|Bandwidth||336 GB/s||336 GB/s||288 GB/s||288 GB/s|
|PCIe Interface||PCIe 3.0 x16||PCIe 4.0 x16||PCIe 4.0 x16||PCIe 4.0 x16|
- AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT BIOS Guide : Power Up Now!
- SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 5600 XT In-Depth Review!
- Yes! AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Gets SUPER Power-Up!
- AMD Radeon RX 5700M | RX 5600M : A Quick Primer!
- AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT | RX 5600 : A Quick Primer!
- AMD Threadripper 3990X : World’s First 64-Core HEDT CPU!
- AMD Ryzen 7 4800H : 8C/16T High Performance Mobile APU!
- AMD Ryzen 7 4800U : 8C/16T Mobile APU @ Just 15W!
- 3rd Gen Ryzen 4000 Mobile Family : A Quick Primer!
- AMD Athlon 3000 Mobile Processors : A Quick Primer!
- AMD SmartShift Explained : Smart Power Distribution FTW!
- Here Are The First 22 AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT Cards!
- AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT Tech Report + Video Briefing!
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition Tech Report!
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700 : Everything You Need To Know!
- AMD Athlon 3000G : The Last Raven Ridge APU Unlocked!
- Behind Terminator Dark Fate : 3rd Gen AMD Threadripper!
- Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 : Everything You Need To Know!
- 3rd Gen AMD Threadripper Tech + Performance Preview!
- GIGABYTE TRX40 Threadripper Motherboards Revealed!
- AMD Ryzen 9 3950X : Everything You Need To Know!
- New Eco-Mode For 3rd Gen Ryzen Processors Explained!
- AMD Fall 2019 Desktop Ryzen + Threadripper Update!
- Red Dead Redemption 2 : Use These AMD + NVIDIA Drivers!
- How AMD CPUs Work In A Secured-core PC Device!
- The Workstation Graphics Card Comparison Guide
- How AMD CPUs Work In A Secured-core PC Device!
- MSI Alpha 15 – World’s First RX 5500M Gaming Laptop!
- AMD Radeon RX 5500 Series : Everything You Need To Know!
- The Tech ARP Mobile GPU Comparison Guide
- The Tech ARP Mobile CPU Comparison Guide
- AMD EPYC 7002 Series Price + Specifications Compared!
- 2nd Gen EPYC – Everything You Need To Know Summarised!
- The Workstation & Server CPU Comparison Guide
- AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Price, Availability + Specifications!
- AMD Celebrates Strong Ryzen + Radeon Sales In Malaysia!
- The Tech ARP Desktop CPU Comparison Guide
- The Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide
- GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Xtreme Motherboard Preview
- The NVIDIA RTX Super vs AMD RX 5700 Comparison! 3.0
- RX 5700 vs RTX 2060 SUPER Performance Comparison!
Go Back To > Computer Hardware | Home
Support Tech ARP!