The new Intel Lakefield hybrid processors use Foveros 3D stacking technology to create such compact and power-efficient processors.
Here is a quick primer on Intel Foveros, and how it lets Intel stack different components into such a tiny chip!
Intel Foveros : What Is It?
Intel Foveros is a 3D stacking technology that basically stacks combines two or more dies into a single package, to offer :
- Standby power 1/10th of competing designs
- 50% better graphics performance
- 40% core area reduction
- 40% Z height reduction
Intel Foveros : 3D Stacking Explained!
Intel Foveros more accurately refers to how they stack the two logic dies, using the Foveros connection.
The Base Die, which consists of logic for audio, USB, USF 3.x and PCI Gen 3 controllers, are manufactured on the Intel P1222 process, which is a 22nm FinFET Low Power process, optimised for low current leakage.
The Compute Die on top has the four Tremont low-power cores, and single Sunny Cove high-performance core, as well as up to 64 Gen11 graphics cores. This die is fabricated on P1274 – their 10 nm process technology.
Intel then stacks up to 8 GB of LPDDR4X memory on top of this Foveros-stacked package using standard Package-on-Package (PoP) stacking technology.
This Intel video shows how they manufacture Foveros packages, and turn them into processors.
Intel Foveros : First Used In Intel Lakefield
The first processors to use Foveros is the Intel Lakefield hybrid processors, which stacks two logic dies with two DRAM layers, creating a package that is only 12 cubic mm in volume!
This allows them to create a single-sided compute board that is just 30 x 123 mm in size, with standby power as low as 2.5 mW!
Recommended : Intel Core i5-L 16G7 + Core i3-L 13G4 Hybrid Processors!
- Intel Core i5-L 16G7 + Core i3-L 13G4 Hybrid Processors!
- 2020 HUAWEI MateBook X Pro Review : Ultra-Light Beast!
- Tech ARP Desktop CPU Comparison Guide
- 2020 Dell Precision Mobile : Models, Price + Availability!
- 2020 Dell Latitude : Models, Price + Availability!
- 2020 Acer Swift 3 with Ryzen 5 / 10th Gen Intel Revealed!
- 10th Gen Intel Desktop CPUs : Price + Specifications!
- Intel oneAPI Unified Programming Model Overview!
- Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 : Everything You Need To Know!
- Intel Nervana NNP-I1000 PCIe + M.2 Cards Revealed!
- Intel Nervana NNP-T1000 PCIe + Mezzanine Cards Revealed!
- Intel Nervana AI Accelerators : Everything You Need To Know!
- 10th Gen Intel Ice Lake Mobile CPU Features + Specifications!
- The Intel Core Processor Number Guide – What They Mean!
- The 10th Gen Intel Core Processor Number Guide!
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor In-Depth Review!
- AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Price, Availability + Specifications!
- Intel Optane Memory H10 With QLC 3D NAND Revealed!
Go Back To > Computer Hardware | Home
Support Tech ARP!