Did a man using Bluetooth earphones get electrocuted by the high tension power cable of an electric train?!
Take a look at the viral claim, and find out what the facts really are!
Claim : Man Using Bluetooth Got Electrocuted Near Electric Train!
A video showing a man getting electrocuted and falling onto train tracks has gone viral, together with a message that claims that it happened because he was using Bluetooth earphones too close to the train tracks!
As the Bluetooth was activated on the mobile phone, the current came from the high tension cable of the track and reached the brain through the ear phones
And what happened next? See it yourself
Avoid using Bluetooth on the railway platform while travelling and standing “close to the train track” on the platform. 16/12/22
Truth : Man Near Electric Train Was Not Electrocuted Using Bluetooth!
This is yet another example of FAKE NEWS created and shared on WhatsApp and social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook, and here are the reasons why…
Fact #1 : Incident Happened On 7 December 2022
First, let me just confirm that the video is genuine, and was recorded by a CCTV camera at the Kharagpur railway station in West Bengal, India, on 7 December 2022.
It did not happen on 16 December 2022, as the fake viral message claimed.
Fact #2 : Man Was A Train Ticket Inspector
The man was not a train passenger wearing Bluetooth earphones. He was a ticket inspector – a Train Ticket Examiner (TTE) to be precise.
There was no mention of the ticket inspector wearing headphones or earphones of any kind in the incident report. As he was working on the job, he would not have been wearing any earphones, much less Bluetooth earphones.
Fact #3 : He Was Hit By A Falling Live Wire
While the ticket inspector was speaking to another person, an electrical cable that was in contact with the Overhead Equipment (OHE) live cable fell on him.
He was electrocuted by that loose cable, with sparks coming off his shoes and head. The ticket inspector fell backwards onto the rail tracks as the other person ran away in fright.
Fortunately, there were no passing trains, and after a few seconds, onlookers (who were probably stunned) came to help him. Miraculously, the man was taken to the hospital, and survived with only burn injuries!
If you look carefully at the video, you can see the cable when it sparks up on touching the ticket inspector’s head.
Fact #4 : Railway Official Confirmed Live Wire As The Cause
Chennai railway official, Ananth Rupanagudi, confirmed the incident, and explained that it was a freak accident that occurred because a long piece of cable fell on the man’s head.
A freak accident – a long piece of loose cable, taken by a bird somehow came in contact with the OHE wire and the other end came down and touched a TTE’s head. He suffered burn injuries but is out of danger and under treatment – at Kharagpur station yesterday afternoon! #Accident
He also revealed that the cable was very long – about 6 to 8 metres in length, and it was touching the OHE live cable on the other end.
Fact #5 : Incident Had Nothing To Do With Location / Bluetooth
To be clear, this incident had nothing to do with the man “standing close to the train track”. It also had nothing to do with using Bluetooth earphones.
Bluetooth is a short-range wireless technology. It is simply not possible for anyone using Bluetooth devices to get electrocuted by nearby power cables, even if they are exposed.
Now that you know the truth, please help to SHARE this fact check article so other people won’t be fooled by this fake news!
Please Support My Work!
Name : Adrian Wong
Bank Transfer : CIMB 7064555917 (Swift Code : CIBBMYKL)
Credit Card / Paypal : https://paypal.me/techarp
Dr. Adrian Wong has been writing about tech and science since 1997, even publishing a book with Prentice Hall called Breaking Through The BIOS Barrier (ISBN 978-0131455368) while in medical school.
He continues to devote countless hours every day writing about tech, medicine and science, in his pursuit of facts in a post-truth world.
- Was Tori Spelling Hospitalised Because Of Vaccine?!
- Is Omicron XBB 5X More Virulent Than Delta Variant?!
- Charlbi Dean : Autopsy Confirms Her Cause of Death!
- Did FDA Admit Pfizer Vaccine Causes Blood Clots?!
- Can COVID-19 Vaccines Give You Eye Worms?!
Go Back To > Fact Check | Science | Tech ARP