Sadly, it has now been confirmed that Cyberpunk 2077 will NOT support ray tracing on AMD RDNA 2 graphics cards when it launches…
Cyberpunk 2077 Ray Tracing on AMD Cards : Yes? No? Maybe?
Back in October 2020, CD PROJEKT RED art director Jakup Knapik confirmed, in a PC Gamer interview, that only NVIDIA GeForce cards will support ray tracing at launch.
However, CD PROJEKT RED lead PR manager Radek Adam Grabowski, later clarified that Cyberpunk 2077 ray tracing is based on DirectX Raytracing (DXR).
“CP2077’s implementation of ray tracing is based on fully standard DirectX Raytracing (DXR)”
Even NVIDIA’s Brian Burke noted that Cyberpunk 2077 uses the industry-standard DirectX Raytracing API :
“Cyberpunk 2077 uses the industry standard DirectX Ray Tracing API. It will work on any DXR-compatible GPU. Nothing related to Cyberpunk 2077 ray tracing is proprietary to NVIDIA”
Cyberpunk 2077 : Ray Tracing NOT Available For AMD Cards At Launch!
When CD PROJEKT RED announced updated system requirements for Cyberpunk 2077, many noticed something odd.
While they listed the new Radeon RX 6800 XT, it was for Cyberpunk 2077 without ray tracing. It was not mentioned in the “ray tracing enabled” section.
CD PROJEKT RED later confirmed that AMD Radeon RX 6000 series cards, which are based on the new RDNA 2 architecture, will NOT support ray tracing on Cyberpunk 2077 when it launches on 10 December 2020.
“We are working together with AMD to integrate ray tracing options for their graphics cards as quickly as possible,” CD PROJEKT RED wrote. “However, this will not be the case when the game launches.”
As Cyberpunk 2077 uses the industry-standard DirectX Raytracing (DXR) API, gamers are wondering – why isn’t it being implemented for AMD RDNA 2 cards?
Technically, they should be able to support ray tracing through the DXR API without any special modification in the. game.
Rumours have it that ray tracing for AMD RDNA 2 cards will be introduced via a patch in 2021.
Is it possible that CD PROJEKT RED worked out a deal with NVIDIA to reserve ray tracing support for GeForce cards for the first few months?
Tell us what you think!
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series : Where To Buy?
RTX 3070 : MSI | MSI | ZOTAC | MSI | GIGABYTE | EVGA | ASUS | ZOTAC | ASUS
RTX 3080 : EVGA | ASUS | ZOTAC | MSI | ZOTAC | MSI | ASUS | MSI | NVIDIA | ASUS
RTX 3090 : EVGA | ASUS | MSI | ASUS | MSI | ZOTAC | EVGA | NVIDIA | PNY | GIGABYTE
- Cyberpunk 2077 : Updated PC Specifications For RTX Gaming
- Cyberpunk 2077 Behind The Scenes RTX Gameplay Interview!
- AMD RDNA 2 Architecture : Tech Highlights!
- AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Review : RDNA 2 Rocks!
- AMD Smart Access Memory : How To Enable It?
- Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide Rev. 37.3
- Razer Viper Ultimate Cyberpunk 2077 Edition : What A Looker!
- AMD Zen 3 Tech Report : What’s New, What’s Unchanged?
- AMD Ryzen 9 5950X In-Depth Review : 16-Core Behemoth!
- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X In-Depth Review : 8-Core Powerhouse!
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X In-Depth Review : A Leap Forward!
- Buy RTX 3080 / RTX 3090, FREE CoD Black Ops Cold War!
- AMD Infinity Cache Explained : L3 Cache Comes To The GPU!
- Radeon RX 6000 vs GeForce RTX 30 : Faster + Cheaper!
- RX 6900 XT, RX 6800 XT, RX 6800 : Features + Specifications!
- AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series : What You Need To Know!
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series : What You Need To Know!
- How An NVIDIA Founders Edition Graphics Card Is Designed!
- NVIDIA GeForce MX450 : New MX-Class Laptop Graphics!
- How To Setup NVIDIA NULL For G-SYNC Monitors Correctly!
- NVIDIA Image Sharpening Guide for DirectX, Vulkan, OpenGL!
- Death Stranding : How To Get It FREE With GeForce RTX!
- Samsung Odyssey G9 : 49-inch 1000R QLED Gaming Monitor!
- Samsung Odyssey G7 : World’s 1st 1000R Gaming Monitors!
- Dell XPS Desktop (8940) : Premium Desktop PC!
Support Tech ARP!