Did Zahid Hamidi resign from Barisan Nasional, after the coalition got battered badly in the 15th General Election?!
Take a look at the viral letter, and find out what the facts really are!
Claim : Zahid Hamidi Resigned From Barisan Nasional After GE15 Failure!
Barisan Nasional Chairman Zahid Hamidi has been under pressure to resign, after presiding over the political coalition’s worst performance ever in GE15.
On 23 November 2022, this letter went viral on WhatsApp and social media, claiming purporting to be signed by Zahid Hamidi, after he resigned from Barisan Nasional (my English translation in bold).
Malaysia National Front
- An emergency meeting was held tonight, attended by the main leaders of each Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition party, as well as BN’s top leadership.
- Some decisions have also been reached to determine which coalition will be supported by BN, whether Perikatan Nasional (PN) or Pakatan Harapan (PH) tomorrow, 23 November 2022.
- I also reluctantly wish to resign as BN Chairman and also UMNO president to take responsibility for BN’s heavy defeat in the 15th General Election.
- Therefore, Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob will assume the position of Chairman of BN and also President of UMNO until the UMNO election which will be held in January 2023.
Truth : Zahid Hamidi Did NOT Resign From Barisan Nasional!
That is yet another example of FAKE NEWS circulating on WhatsApp and social media, and here are the reasons why…
Fact #1 : Barisan Nasional Held A Supreme Council Meeting
It is true that Barisan Nasional held a Supreme Council meeting on the night of 22 November 2022, at 9 PM to be exact.
While Barisan Nasional did not announce the outcome of that Supreme Council meeting, it specifically did not mention that Zahid Hamidi resigned as BN Chairman, or UMNO President.
Fact #2 : Zahid Hamidi Labelled The Letter As False
At 1 PM on 23 November 2022, Zahid Hamidi confirmed that the letter was false, and that he was still BN Chairman, and UMNO President (with my English translation in bold).
Please don’t make the situation worse.
The letter that went viral is false and was created by irresponsible people.
Please pray for the best in this situation.
Mohon jangan dikeruhkan lagi keadaan.
Surat yang telah disebarkan seperti berikut adalah palsu dan rekaan manusia yang tidak bertanggungjawab.
Mohon doakan yang terbaik untuk dalam keadaan sekarang ini.
Please WATCH OUT about such FAKE NEWS on WhatsApp and social media. They are designed to reduce voter confidence in the electoral process.
Regardless of what you may read or see on social media, please have faith in the electoral process, which is safeguarded by the Malaysian civil service and many volunteers.
Please Support My Work!
Name : Adrian Wong
Bank Transfer : CIMB 7064555917 (Swift Code : CIBBMYKL)
Credit Card / Paypal : https://paypal.me/techarp
Dr. Adrian Wong has been writing about tech and science since 1997, even publishing a book with Prentice Hall called Breaking Through The BIOS Barrier (ISBN 978-0131455368) while in medical school.
He continues to devote countless hours every day writing about tech, medicine and science, in his pursuit of facts in a post-truth world.
- Did Agong Appoint Anwar Ibrahim As Interim PM?!
- Will Agong Use Online Poll To Appoint Anwar Ibrahim As PM?!
- Did SPR Mislabel GE15 Ballot Box To Cheat Voters?!
- Fact Check : Is Semak.Info A Phishing Website?!
- Will Your Phone Get Hacked While You Vote In GE15?!
Go Back To > Cybersecurity | Fact Check | Tech ARP