Google Play Music is officially dead across the world, and you have until December 2020 to migrate your music library and playlists to YouTube Music.
Find out how to download your music library and playlists from Google Play Music before they are deleted forever!
Google Play Music Is Dead : Whaaaaat???
On 4 April 2020, Google dropped the bombshell – they announced that they were replacing Google Play Music play with YouTube Music by December 2020.
They would kill off Google Play Music starting September 2020 in New Zealand and South Africa, and October 2020 for the rest of the world.
Users will no longer be allowed to stream from, or use the Google Play Music app from that point onwards. They will only be allowed to transfer their music libraries to YouTube Music.
Even that migration offer is limited to December 2020, after which the Google Play Music libraries will be deleted and will no longer be available to download or transfer to YouTube Music.
Google Play Music Is Dead : Download Your Music Now!
Google offers the option to migrate your Google Play Music libraries and playlists to YouTube Music, but you may not want to do that for these reasons :
- 128 kbps quality limit for free subscriptions
- you can’t upload your own music through the app, only using an Internet browser
- offline playback of your own music requires you to upload and then download the same music
Before deciding what to do next, the first thing you should do is download your music library.
You have until the end of December 2020 to download your music, so do it now!
- Open Google Play Music.
- Tap on Manage Your Data.
- Tap on Download your music library.
- Leave Google Play Music checked.
- Select to export once.
- Select the more common .zip file format, or the .tgz alternative
- Select the maximum file size you prefer – 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 10 GB or 50 GB.
Google will split your files into multiple compressed files based on the maximum size you selected.
Newer operating systems (Windows 10, macOS) can support files larger than 4 GB.
- Tap Create export and let Google archive and compress your music library.
- You will receive an email with a download link when it’s done.
- Buy RTX 3080 / RTX 3090, FREE CoD Black Ops Cold War!
- HUAWEI Mate 40 Pro Black : A Hands-On Experience!
- HUAWEI Mate 40 Pro Mystic Silver : Hands-On Preview!
- Samsung Cloud Termination : What You Need To Know!
- HUAWEI Mate 40 Pro : Silver vs Black Colour Comparison!
- Kirin 9000 | Kirin 9000E : World’s First 5nm 5G Mobile SoCs!
- Xiaomi Disses 15W MagSafe With 80W Mi Wireless Charging!
- HUAWEI MatePad T 10s : Hands-On Preview!
- Samsung Galaxy Note20 Series Camera Technologies : What’s New?
- Snapdragon vs Exynos vs Kirin : Battle Of The Flagships!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra : An In-Depth Review!
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus Review : Powerful + Versatile!
- Galaxy Tab S7 Book Cover Keyboard Review : A Must Get!
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 Preview : Unboxing + Hands-On!
- 15 FREE Steam Games + DLCs On 19 October 2020!
- MySejahtera / Logbook : Register Or Get Fined RM1,000!
- 2020 Mercedes me Apps : Find Out What’s New!
- TikTok + ByteDance Ban By Donald Trump Explained!
Go Back To > Software | Mobile Devices | Home