Right after the official launch of the ASUS ZenFone 5 and ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 smartphones, we had the opportunity to sit down with the top ASUS officials to discuss their latest smartphones. Get the inside scoop on the two new ASUS smartphones, and the direction of the ASUS Mobile team in this exclusive interview!
ASUS ZenFone 5 + ZenFone Max Pro M1 Exclusive Interview
Four top ASUS officials sat down with us for this exclusive interview. They are, from left to right, :
- Li Huai Pin, ASUS Malaysia Business Development Manager (Mobile)
- Rex Lee, ASUS APAC General Manager
- Eric Chen, ASUS Corporate Vice President
- Leo Tseng, ASUS Malaysia Country Manager
Facilitating this interview was ASUS Regional Director (Australia and New Zealand), Portia Chang.
Here are the key takeaways from this exclusive interview :
- There will be something interesting coming up at Computex 2018 (It was the ROG Phone).
- The market is trending towards mobile gaming, so ASUS will have appropriate products to cater to this trend.
- ASUS is the top gaming notebook brand in Malaysia, with a 30% market share as of April 2018, beating the runner-up by 18 points.
- The market share for ASUS smartphones in Malaysia is currently at around 3%, but ASUS expects to improve that with the ASUS ZenFone 5 and ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 smartphones.
- ASUS expects to sell about 1,000 – 2,000 units of the new ASUS ZenFone 5 and ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 smartphones per day, which translates into an average of 45,000 units per month.
- ASUS chose to decouple the Max brand from the generational numbering of the flagship ZenFone series, to allow faster and more frequent launches.
- [adrotate group=”2″]Due to increased interest in stock Android smartphones, ASUS will look into creating more smartphones with stock Android, although they may not necessarily be under the Android One programme.
- ASUS will provide the ASUS ZenFone 5 and ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 smartphones with at least two new generations of Android upgrades – to the future Android Q at the minimum.
- ASUS is shrinking their product models in the new generation to reduce market confusion, and to keep prices low.
- ASUS plans to launch the ZenFone 5Z in Malaysia in early Q3 2018.
- The ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 will directly replace the ASUS ZenFone Max Plus M1.
- The 6 GB version of the ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 is in shortage worldwide, with an expected availability only around July 2018.
- ASUS chose to use a wide-angle camera as the secondary camera because it’s more useful for landscape shots, and a telescopic camera produces noisy and/or shakier photos indoors.
- ASUS ZenFone 5 (ZE620KL) In-Depth Review
- ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 (ZB602KL) In-Depth Review
- ASUS ZenFone 5 + ZenFone Max Pro M1 Launch Coverage
- The ASUS ZenFone 5 Launch Event @ MWC 2018
Go Back To > Mobile Devices | Home