Telegram just highlighted the ability to migrate WhatsApp chats to their app, but you really should NOT do that.
Find out why this is a BIG security and privacy risk than just leaving your chats in WhatsApp!
Telegram : Moving Chat History From WhatsApp, Line + KakaoTalk
In a recent version 7.4 update for their iOS app, Telegram announced a new feature – the ability to move your chat messages from other apps like WhatsApp, Line and Kakaotalk to their app.
Curiously, that ability has actually been part of WhatsApp since 2018, when they introduced the ability to export chats to email and other apps.
And while this feature is purportedly available only with the iOS version of Telegram Messenger, you can already do that with existing versions of WhatsApp and Telegram.
Why You Should NOT Move WhatsApp Chats To Telegram!
You should note that the privacy risks with WhatsApp have been grossly exaggerated by the media and many Internet “experts”.
For one thing – WhatsApp users have been sharing metadata with Facebook since September 2016, a fact initially lost on many media outlets and “experts”.
But we understand the fear – Facebook is a real snoop. Even so, it would be a mistake to migrate from WhatsApp to Telegram.
Let us share with you why you should NOT migrate from WhatsApp to Telegram, and why it is a BIG mistake to migrate your WhatsApp data to Telegram.
Fact #1 : Telegram Is LESS Secure Than WhatsApp
WhatsApp fully implemented end-to-end encryption across all of their apps and network since 5 April 2016.
End-to-end encryption prevents WhatsApp or Facebook from reading your messages. Only the sender and receiver(s) can read them.
WhatsApp shares a considerable amount of data and metadata that Facebook can use to identify and track your movements and activities. But not the content of your messages.
Telegram, on the other hand, has STILL NOT implemented end-to-end encryption for all messages by default.
Instead, they still insist on offering end-to-end encryption only when you create a Secret Chat.
This leaves the bulk of your messages completely readable by Telegram and anyone who intercepts those messages as they travel from your device through the Internet to the recipient.
The very presence of Secret Chats between certain people is itself metadata that can help oppressive regimes identify their enemies or whistleblowers.
Fact #2 : Your Data Is Stored In Telegram Cloud Servers
All WhatsApp data is stored only in your registered device. WhatsApp also does not retain messages in their servers after they are delivered, and will only store files (like photos and videos) and undelivered messages for 30 days.
It’s the opposite with Telegram – all of your data – messages, photos, videos, documents – is stored in their cloud servers. Even though they are encrypted in storage, Telegram holds the encryption keys, NOT YOU.
This ability has its advantages like convenient access across multiple devices, but it also makes Telegram less secure.
Telegram has access to your encrypted files, including the ability to decrypt them for authorities that legally compels them to do so.
Fact #3 : Moving Your Messages + Media To Telegram Exposes Them
While your chats and media remain within your WhatsApp app, they are encrypted and not available to anyone but yourself (and the recipients).
Migrating your chat messages and media to Telegram would involve sending them unencrypted to Telegram’s servers.
This exposes your hitherto secure chats and media to a man-in-the-middle attack – allowing a third party to snoop or grab a copy of the data as it travels unencrypted to the Telegram servers.
Fact #4 : Facebook Already Has Your Metadata
As we pointed out earlier, WhatsApp has been sharing our metadata with Facebook since September 2016.
So moving your existing chats out of WhatsApp won’t limit or reduce your exposure. That horse has long bolted from the stable.
Moving your chat history and files to Telegram will just offer a new attack surface for cybercriminals and oppressive regimes.
Fact #5 : Facebook Will Still Have Your Data If You Still Use Facebook!
Here is the other thing that people don’t realise – migrating from WhatsApp to another messaging app is pointless if you do not also stop using Facebook.
As long as you still use Facebook, they will still have access to a consideration amount of metadata. Losing your WhatsApp metadata just gives them less metadata.
After all, Facebook can track your movements and activity even if you are NOT on Facebook! This is what they call Off-Facebook Activity.
- 10 FREE Steam Games + DLCs On 27 January 2021!
- Can Ivermectin Really Cure Or Prevent COVID-19?
- Fact Check : 52 New MCO SOP Rules On 4 February 2021!
- Eurocham Leak Of Malaysia Shutdown : Please Don’t Panic!
- Why Thousands Of Vaccinated Israelis Got COVID-19 Anyway
- Focus On Fauci : These Vaccine Lies Can Get You KILLED!
- 23 Post-Vaccination Deaths In Norway : The Facts + The BS!
- Can Inhaling Steam + Supplements Prevent COVID-19?
- Can This Corona Kashayam Recipe Prevent COVID-19?
- Fact Check : Can Betadine + Listerine Prevent COVID-19?
- Is WhatsApp Forcing Us To Share Data With Facebook In February 2021?
- Fact Check : Sungai Buloh Hospital Cramped With Patients?
- 2021 MCO / PKP Of 6 States : Not True… For Now
- Is Genting Highlands Closed Over Many COVID-19 Cases?
- Hello? WhatsApp Is Already Sharing Data With Facebook!
- Nokia 3.4 Camera New Year Failure : How To Fix It?
- Malaysia : Register For COVID-19 Vaccine Via MySejahtera
- Nokia 8.3 Camera New Year Failure : How To Fix It!
- Antivaxxers Keep Creating Fake Tiffany Dover Death Claims!
- Did Alabama Nurse, Tiffany Dover, Die From Pfizer Vaccine?
- Can Donald Trump Really Blame Iran For Rocket Attack?
- Fake CIMB SMS Scam! Do NOT Click / Call!
- Will COVID-19 Turn Breastmilk Yellow With Antibodies? 🤔
Go Back To > Cybersecurity | Software | Home