A new JAMA-published study by Dawei Wang et al reveals the key symptoms of patients infected by the Wuhan coronavirus.
Their study will serve as a useful guide for clinicians and public health officials trying to differentiate it from influenza.
Wuhan Coronavirus : Key Symptoms!
The highly-anticipated study by Dawei Wang et al, titled Clinical Characteristics of 138 Hospitalized Patients With 2019 Novel Coronavirus-Infected Pneumonia In Wuhan, China was published in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) on 7 February 2020.
It looked at the clinical characteristics of 138 patients who were hospitalised at the Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, from 1 January to 28 January 2020.
Top 5 Symptoms Of Wuhan Coronavirus Patients
Their study showed that fever is the chief symptom, and there were very few reports of headache, dizziness, nausea or vomiting.
Dry cough was reported by just over half the patients, and only about ⅓ reported muscle pain. And no one reported a runny or stuffy nose.
This will help to clinically differentiate 2019-nCoV from the far more common influenza.
Here are the top 5 symptoms of the Wuhan coronavirus that the study identified from those 138 patients :
|Top 5 Symptoms||No. Of Patients||% Of Patients|
(Shortness of Breath)
Top 5 Symptoms Of Wuhan Coronavirus Patients Requiring ICU Care
Interestingly, they also looked at the symptoms that are more common in patients who ended up requiring ICU care.
They are more likely to lose significant weight and suffer shortness of breath, compared to patients who did not require ICU care.
Here are the top 5 symptoms in patients requiring ICU care. Note that a P value of < 0.05 is considered statistically significant.
(Shortness of Breath)
(Pain in Pharynx)
Wuhan Coronavirus : What Treatments Did The Chinese Try?
The study also looked at the treatments the Chinese tried with those 138 patients.
While they noted that many patients received antibiotic cover, the key treatments they trialed against the Wuhan coronavirus were Tamiflu (oseltamivir), oxygen support, and glucocorticoid therapy.
|Treatment||No. Of Patients||% Of Patients|
Just before the report was released, they did a final follow-up on 3 February 2020, and found that :
- 47 patients (34.1%) recovered, and had been discharged
- 85 patients (61.6%) were still hospitalised
- 6 patients (4.3%) died
- Hand Sanitiser vs Soap : Which Should YOU Use?
- Why Snakes Are Not Source Of Wuhan Coronavirus!
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Protect With Surgical Mask + Eyewear!
- Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses Debunked!
- Yes! Surgical Masks Can Protect Us Against Influenza!
- Wang Guangfa : Wuhan Coronavirus Can Infect Through Eyes!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- How Did Iran Shoot Down UIA Flight PS752 By Mistake?
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- The 2-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- The Viral Soda / Soft Drink Egg Video Hoax Debunked!
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Sheryl Crow Bottled Water Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
- Can Bottled Water Cause Cancer?
- Princeton University Warns Of Cancer Risk From Fridge Magnets
- Kinder Joy wax coating causes cancer?
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked