Public Health England just confirmed that the Pfizer and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective against the Delta (Indian) variant!
Here is what you need to know about this exciting new development!
UK COVID-19 Vaccines Very Effective Against Delta Variant!
On 14 June 2021, Public Health England (PHE) announced that their initial analysis showed for the first time that “2 doses of COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective against hospitalisation from the Delta (B.1.617.2) variant.”
- the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 96% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses
- the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is 92% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses
This means both the Pfizer and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines have similar effectiveness against the Delta (Indian) variant, as they do against the Alpha (UK) variant.
However, this is only true if you receive both doses. Their earlier analysis showed that a single dose is 17% less effective at preventing symptomatic illness.
To help you better understand the data, I summarised the effectiveness of the two COVID-19 vaccines against hospitalisation in this table :
|1 Dose||2 Doses||1 Dose||2 Doses|
The key takeaway from this analysis is very straightforward – we must get vaccinated with both doses to gain maximum protection against these variants of concern (VOCs).
As Dr. Mary Ramsay (Head of Immunisation at PHE) said, “These hugely important findings confirm that the vaccines offer significant protection against hospitalisation from the Delta variant.”
“It is absolutely vital to get both doses as soon as they are offered to you, to gain maximum protection against all existing and emerging variants.”
Vaccines Effective But Not Foolproof Against Delta Variant
It certainly is very encouraging to see that both the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines offer such robust protection against both Alpha and Delta variants of COVID-19.
However, even if you get vaccinated with both doses, there is still a small risk of getting hospitalised with a COVID-19 infection.
You just need to take the 86% to 96% protection offered by the vaccines to 100% by taking COVID-19 precautions :
- Avoid crowds and public, enclosed spaces
- Social distancing as much as possible
- Wear a face mask in public, making sure to wear and take it off properly.
- Maintain physical distancing in public
- Maintain good hand hygiene
This will be necessary until we achieve herd immunity. So please encourage everyone to get vaccinated, and make sure they get both doses (if they are getting a 2-dose vaccine).
Recommended : COVID-19 Vaccine Breakthrough : What You Need To Know!
- Did COVID-19 Leak From Gilead Sciences Fort Detrick Lab?
- Did Christian Eriksen Collapse After Receiving Pfizer Vaccine?
- UK COVID-19 Vaccines Very Effective Against Delta Variant!
- 12 Vaccinated UK Citizens Died From COVID-19 : The Truth?
- Will COVID-19 Vaccines Reduce Our Immunity For 6 Weeks?
- MITEC Vaccination Centre : Video + Pictorial Guide!
- COVID-19 Vaccine Dependents Can Go By Themselves!
- Will Anaesthetic Kill People Vaccinated Against COVID-19?
- Fact Check : Statistics Prove That COVID-19 Not Dangerous?
- Is HR 748 (CARES Act) Evidence Of COVID-19 Plandemic?