A Chinese official revealed that two COVID-19 vaccines developed in China are less effective against the Delta variant.
Find out what he said, and what it means for those vaccinated with Chinese vaccines!
Even The Chinese Are Worried About Delta Variant
The Delta variant of COVID-19 (B.1.617.2) was first documented in India, in October 2020. Hence, it was earlier known as the Indian variant.
Everyone’s worried about the Delta variant of COVID-19, and rightly so – it is much more infectious and has shown to be partially resistant to vaccines.
The Delta variant is about 60% more infectious than the already highly-infectious Alpha variant (B.1.1.7), and is behind the massive wave of infections in India in April and May of 2021.
That is why the Chinese government rapidly ramped up vaccination, vaccinating up to 20 million people in a single day!
Two Chinese Vaccines Less Effective Against Delta Variant
On 24 June 2021, Chinese CDC deputy director Dr. Feng Zijian told the China Central Television that antibodies from two Chinese COVID-19 vaccines are “less effective” against the Delta variant, compared to other strains.
He declined to name the two vaccines, but said that they are both inactivated vaccines – basically, killed SARS-CoV-2 viruses.
Five of seven Chinese-made vaccines are inactivated vaccines, including CoronaVac from Sinovac, and BBIBP-CorV from Sinopharm.
He said that both vaccines “still offer protection”, noting that, “In the Guandong outbreak… none of those who were vaccinated and got infected became severe cases, and none of the severe cases were vaccinated“.
He did not elaborate further, but what he said suggests that the two Chinese vaccines at least protected people from developing severe COVID-19, which requires hospitalisation and oxygen support.
No Hard Data On Chinese Vaccine Efficacy Against Delta Variant
Unfortunately, both China and Chinese manufacturers are reticent about revealing any hard data on the efficacy of their vaccines against the Delta variant.
Public Health England, for example, openly shared data on the efficacy of the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines against the Delta variant.
Yet, a senior infectious disease official like Fang Zijian would only speak in ambiguous terms.
Sinovac CEO also spoke in ambiguous terms, “What we found is that the current vaccines can neutralise these variants“.
It is troubling that China and Chinese manufacturers refuse to be transparent about the efficacy of their vaccines against the Delta variant.
Especially when 358 doctors and healthcare workers in Indonesia who were fully vaccinated with the Sinovac vaccine tested positive for COVID-19 during a two-week span.
At least 20 fully-vaccinated doctors died, but it was not certain how many were infected by the Delta variant.
If we know which vaccines are not effective against the Delta variant, health authorities can look at using a different vaccine.
Vaccinated With Chinese Vaccines : How To Protect Against Delta Variant
Those who were vaccinated with Chinese vaccines should rightly be worried about the Delta variant, because it’s highly infectious and partially resistant to vaccines.
Here are steps that we can take to prevent breakthrough infections with the Delta variant :
- Make sure we are FULLY VACCINATED – complete the require doses
- Avoid crowds and public, enclosed spaces
- Social distancing as much as possible
- Wear a face mask in public, making sure to wear and take it off properly.
- Maintain physical distancing in public
- Maintain good hand hygiene
This will be necessary until we achieve herd immunity. So please encourage everyone to get vaccinated, and make sure they get both doses (if they are getting a 2-dose vaccine).
Recommended : COVID-19 Vaccine Breakthrough : What You Need To Know!
Help Support My Work!
Name : Adrian Wong
Credit Card / Paypal : https://paypal.me/techarp
Bank Transfer : CIMB 7064555917 (Swift Code : CIBBMYKL)
Thank you in advanced! ❤️
- Why Delta Variant Causes MORE Breakthrough Infections!
- FMCO : Restaurants + Eateries Can Open From 6AM To 10PM!
- Malaysia FMCO 3.0 Restrictions Extended Indefinitely!
- Latest Foreign Travel Rules For Malaysian Citizens!
- Did Henry Cavill Help Nephew Prove Superman Is His Uncle?
- Gaming Influencer Fail : Jaja zuber Teaches A Valuable Lesson
- DASH Highway Scaffolding Collapsed, Injuring Two Workers!
- MCO : Can Strata Residents Directly Receive Parcels / Food?
- Kinder Joy : Does Its Wax Coating Cause Cancer?
- Three COVID-19 Vaccines OK For Pregnant / Breastfeeding!
- Did US Supreme Court Overturn Universal Vaccination?
- Illegal Ivermectin Sale : Up to RM50K Fine + 5 Years Jail!
Go Back To > Healthcare | Tech ARP