While most know better than to wear a surgical mask over their eyes, they still wear it incorrectly, and worse – take it off the wrong way, and infect themselves in the process!
In this guide, we will teach you how to WEAR and REMOVE a surgical mask, the right way… to avoid infecting yourself!
Please SHARE this with your family and friends, so they can stay protected!
Recommended : Hand Sanitiser vs Soap : Which Should We Use?
Make Sure You Use A 3-Ply Surgical Mask!
First, please make sure you buy and use 3-ply surgical masks, and not fashion masks, or 2-ply hygiene masks.
Fashion masks are reusable, made from washable cotton, and often lack a filter although some may boast activated charcoal filters – these are useless against viruses and bacteria.
A proper 3-ply surgical or medical mask, on the other hand, has three layers – each with very specific functions :
- an outer hydrophobic layer, which repels water, blood and body fluids,
- a middle filter layer that is designed to filter bacteria, and
- an inner hydrophilic layer, which absorbs water, sweat and spit
The 3-ply surgical mask has been proven to be as effective as N95 respirators in preventing viral infections like influenza.
Finally, we have 2-ply hygiene face masks that are cheap and made from the same material – fabric or polypropylene or other kinds of non-woven material.
With NO FILTER layer, these hygiene masks are useless against haze, viruses and bacteria. They are commonly used in spas and restaurants.
Recommended : Yes! Surgical Masks Can Protect Us Against Influenza!
How To Wear A Surgical Mask Correctly
Here are some step-by-step instructions for wearing a surgical mask correctly :
- Clean your hands with soap and water, or hand sanitiser, before touching the mask
- Hold the mask with the stiff bendable strip on top, and the coloured side facing outwards.
- If the surgical mask has ear loops – hold the mask by the ear loops, and place a loop around each ear.
- If the surgical mask has ties – bring the mask to your nose and place the ties over the crown of your head, and secure by tying them in a bow.
- If the surgical mask has elastic bands – bring the mask to your nose and pull the top band over your head and let it rest on the crown of your head, and then pull the bottom strap over your head and let it rest on the nape of your neck.
- Mould or pinch the nose strip to conform to the shape of your nose.
- Pull the bottom of the surgical mask over your mouth and chin.
Recommended : COVID-19 Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
How To Remove A Surgical Mask Correctly
After use, the mask will be dirty / contaminated and must be removed and disposed of properly.
So please follow these instructions, to avoid infecting yourself while removing your mask :
- Clean your hands with soap and water, or hand sanitiser, before touching the mask.
- AVOID touching the front of the mask, because it is contaminated. Only touch the ear loops / ear ties / ear bands.
- If the surgical mask has ear loops – hold and unhook both ear loops and gently lift the mask away from your face.
- If the surgical mask has ties – untie the bottom bow first, followed by the top bow, before pulling the mask away from your face
- If the surgical mask has elastic bands – lift the bottom strap over your head first, and then pull the top strap over your head
- Holding the mask only by the ear loops / ear ties / ear bands, dispose of the mask in the trash.
- Clean your hands with soap and water, or hand sanitiser again, before touching anything else.
Where To Buy Surgical Masks
Please make sure you only purchase proper 3-layer surgical masks, and not 2-ply hygiene masks or fashion masks. Here are some online purchase options :
- The Double-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- American Origin Of H1N1 Pandemic Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Symptoms Revealed In JAMA Study!
- COVID-19 : Protect With Surgical Mask + Eyewear!
- H1N1 Pandemic : The Great American Cover-Up Debunked!
- Hand Sanitiser vs Soap : Which Should YOU Use?
- Why Snakes Are Not Source Of Wuhan Coronavirus!
- Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses Debunked!
- Yes! Surgical Masks Can Protect Us Against Influenza!
- Wang Guangfa : Wuhan Coronavirus Can Infect Through Eyes!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- How Did Iran Shoot Down UIA Flight PS752 By Mistake?
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- The 2-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- The Viral Soda / Soft Drink Egg Video Hoax Debunked!
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Sheryl Crow Bottled Water Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
- Can Bottled Water Cause Cancer?
- Princeton University Warns Of Cancer Risk From Fridge Magnets
- Kinder Joy wax coating causes cancer?
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked