A petition by Shyama Nair to stop Sinovac vaccine use for senior citizens in Malaysia is being shared on WhatsApp and Facebook.
Let’s take a look at the claims she made, and find out what the FACTS really are!
The Shyama Nair Petition To Stop Sinovac Vaccine Use
Someone called Shyama Nair started a petition called “Stopping the sinovac [sic] vaccines for senior citizens in Malaysia“.
She apparently started this petition after the National Immunisation Programme Coordinating Minister Khairy Jamaluddin said that the Sinovac vaccine would also be given to senior citizens.
The petition, which is being shared on Facebook and WhatsApp, comes with this description :
Shyama Nair Petition To Stop Sinovac Vaccine Use : The Facts
While we understand where Shyama Nair is coming from, her petition is based on misinformation and misunderstanding of vaccine efficacy.
Here are the FACTS that everyone should understand about her claims, before they sign the petition, or worse – refuse their vaccinations.
Fact #1 : Sinovac Vaccine Efficacy Is Just Over 50%
While Shyama Nair claims that the Sinovac vaccine has less than 50% efficacy, that’s just not true.
As we explained in our Sinovac vaccine FAQ, its efficacy is a subject of some controversy.
But just before China approved this vaccine for general use, Sinovac announced their Phase 3 results :
- Brazil Trial : 50.65% efficacy
- Turkey Trial : 91.25% efficacy
Even in the worst case scenario, the Sinovac CoronaVac vaccine has an efficacy of just over 50%.
That puts it over the line WHO recommends for COVID-19 vaccine approval.
Fact #2 : China Never Said Sinovac Vaccine Not Effective
China never said that the Sinovac vaccine is not effective.
Stating the Chinese vaccines do not offer high protection is quite different from saying that they are not effective.
|Gamaleya Sputnik V||91.6%|
|Sinopharm BBIBP-CorV||79% ~ 86%|
|AstraZeneca AZD1222||76% ~ 85%|
|Novavax Covovax||60 ~ 89%|
|J&J Janssen COVID-19||66.0%|
Fact #3 : Early Vaccination More Important Than Vaccine Efficacy
After frontline medical workers, senior citizens are at the greatest risk of complications and death if they get infected with COVID-19. On that count, Shyama Nair is correct.
While it would be ideal for them to receive the most efficacious vaccine, that is really far, FAR LESS important than getting vaccinated as soon as possible.
Instead of worrying about efficacy (which most people don’t even understand!), focus on the fact that ALL approved COVID-19 vaccines prevent severe disease and death!
As we explained in our guide on which COVID-19 vaccine to choose, early protection is far more important than vaccine efficacy.
More importantly, even the “lousiest” Chinese vaccine will greatly protect them against severe disease (requiring hospitalisation), and prevent them from dying!
Recommended : Which COVID-19 Vaccine Should YOU Choose?
|COVID-19 Vaccine||Protection Against|
|Gamaleya Sputnik V||91.6%||100%||100%|
|AstraZeneca AZD1222||76% ~ 85%||100%||100%|
|Novavax Covovax||60 ~ 89%||100%||100%|
|Sinopharm BBIBP-CorV||79% ~ 86%||90%||100%|
|J&J Janssen COVID-19||66.0%||85%||100%|
Fact #4 : Vaccine Supply Is Limited
By squeezing a 6th dose out of their 5-dose vials, and massively ramping up their production, Pfizer said in January 2021 that they can potentially deliver up to 2 billion doses by the end of the year.
Moderna, on the other hand, is aiming to deliver up to 1 billion doses in 2021, after their own massive ramp-up.
Even if they can achieve their targets, that’s just 3 billion doses to vaccinate 1.5 billion people in 2021, and that’s assuming zero wastage. At best, they will cover just under 19% of the world’s population of 7.9 billion!
So it would be impractical to rely on mRNA vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna to vaccinate the world. Do we really want to wait 5 years to achieve herd immunity?
Do Not Let Perfect Be The Enemy Of Good
Here is my advice to Shyama Nair and all those who think like her – do not let perfect be the enemy of good.
Instead of scaring our senior citizens into waiting for the COVID-19 vaccine they prefer, we should be encouraging them to get the first vaccine offered to them.
Vaccines are like body armour. It doesn’t make sense to reject wearing Chinese body armour while under enemy fire, and risk your life waiting for German body armour that you prefer.
Here is our advice to EVERYONE – get vaccinated ASAP with the first COVID-19 vaccine you can get.
DO NOT WAIT for “something better”. You may get infected before you get that vaccine!
- Malaysia COVID-19 Vaccine Plan : 14 April 2021 Edition!
- Fact Check : China’s Guidelines For Sinovac Vaccine?
- Which COVID-19 Vaccine Should YOU Choose?
- Chinese Vaccine Efficacy Not High? What Are The Facts?
- Both Pfizer + Sinovac Vaccines In Phase 2 Vaccinations!
- Autism + Special Needs Q&A With Dr. Rajini Sarvananthan
- China : Was COVID-19 Created In Fort Detrick Bio Lab?
- Did US Supreme Court Overturn Universal Vaccination?
- China Used Hot Drinks + Steam To Kill COVID-19?
- Fact Check : G64 COVID-19 Strain From India + Egypt?
- How To Report Vaccine Side Effects In MySejahtera!
- 25,700 Malaysians Hospitalised For Vaccine Side Effects?
- CanSino COVID-19 Vaccine : What You Need To Know!
- Mount Elizabeth : Doctor’s Severe Vaccine Reaction Is False!
- Did Dr. Ann Tan Get A Stroke From Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine?
- Did A Police Officer Die From Second Vaccine Dose?
- Plandemic 3 To Prove Satan’s Hand In COVID-19 Vaccines!
- Two Doctors Share Their COVID-19 Vaccination Experiences!
- UK Government Report On Pfizer Vaccine Adverse Reactions?
- Can You Take Painkillers Before / After COVID-19 Vaccination?
- Was Pfizer Vaccine Designed To Make COVID-19 Endemic?
- Dr Clo Disinfectant Sticks : Do They Work Against COVID-19?
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
Go Back To > Health | Fact Check | Home