Some people take painkillers before getting vaccinated against COVID-19, but others are saying that painkillers are dangerous if taken with the vaccine.
Find out whether you should or should not take painkillers before or after getting your COVID-19 vaccine!
COVID-19 Vaccination + Painkillers : What’s Going On?
Some people have been taking painkillers BEFORE getting their COVID-19 vaccine, to reduce the injection pain and side effects like fever and muscle ache.
On the other hand, other people are saying that painkillers are dangerous if taken after getting vaccinated against COVID-19.
More recently, an Indian doctor died after being injected with a painkiller, after she received her first dose of the AstraZeneca (Covishield) vaccine.
So is it safe to take painkillers before or after getting the COVID-19 vaccine?
Can You Take Painkillers Before / After COVID-19 Vaccination?
Here is the short TLDR answer :
You should NOT take painkillers BEFORE your COVID-19 vaccination, and if possible, try not to take painkillers after vaccination either.
However, if you feel really uncomfortable, you can take over-the-counter painkillers with your doctor’s advice.
For those who wish to learn more about painkillers and COVID-19 vaccination, here are the facts…
Fact #1 : Fever + Muscle Pain From COVID-19 Vaccine Only Last A Few Days
Vaccines work by tricking your body into thinking that there is a real infection, triggering an immune response that cause “side effects” like injection site pain, fever and muscle aches.
These side effects are really your body’s natural immune response to any infection, and are therefore welcome signs that the vaccines are doing their jobs.
They also last only a few days, generally subsiding within the first 1-2 days. If they persist after a few days, you should seek medical attention.
Fact #2 : CDC Advises Against Painkillers Before COVID-19 Vaccination
The US CDC recently updated its guidance on March 16, 2021, to :
- avoid taking painkillers BEFORE getting vaccinated against COVID-19
- treat post-vaccination fever by drinking plenty of fluids and dressing lightly
- treat pain and discomfort with a cool and wet washcloth, and using or exercising the arm
- take over-the-counter painkillers after COVID-19 vaccination, with your doctor’s advice
Fact #3 : Painkillers Could Dampen COVID-19 Vaccine Efficacy
Research have shown that certain painkillers may dampen the body’s response to vaccines. One study even showed that NDAIDs reduce the body’s cytokine and antibody response to an actual COVID-19 infection.
According to Dr. Sankar Swaminathan, MD – the division chief of infectious diseases at the University of Utah Health :
“It is not recommended to take a pain reliever before getting a COVID-19 vaccine, as it may theoretically reduce your immune response to the vaccines.”
For maximum efficacy of the COVID-19 vaccine, you should try to avoid taking any painkiller for the fever or muscle ache.
But you should not worry too much about the reduction in vaccine efficacy either. If you are feeling under the weather, it is fine to take over-the-counter painkillers with your doctor’s advice.
Fact #4 : The Doctor Died From Anaphylactic Shock
The tragic death of Dr. Hari Harini was due to anaphylactic shock, likely from the painkiller – Diclofenac sodium, that her husband administered just hours before.
However, this incident has nothing to do with the COVID-19 vaccine she received, because :
- severe anaphylaxis is a known, if rare, adverse reaction of Diclofenac sodium,
- she started vomiting and fell unconscious within hours of receiving the injection.
- the incident occurred a month after she received her first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
The evidence therefore suggests that her death was due to the painkiller itself, and not the vaccine.
- Did This Doctor Die From Painkiller After COVID Vaccination?
- Malaysia COVID-19 Vaccine Plan : 25 March 2021 Edition!
- How To Register Your Maid For COVID-19 Vaccine!
- Act 342 Offences : COVID-19 Fines, Discounts + FAQ!
- Malaysia Approves COVID-19 Vaccine Injury Fund!
- Malaysia Buys More Pfizer + Sinovac COVID-19 Vaccines!
- Did NYT Rank 4 Chinese Vaccines As Safest In The World?
- How To Register For COVID-19 Vaccination On MySejahtera!
- Was Pfizer Vaccine Designed To Make COVID-19 Endemic?
- CoronaVac Vaccine By Sinovac : Your Questions Answered!
- CEM014 Eggs : Cook Properly Or Return Them!
- MySejahtera : How To Register Dependents For Vaccine!
- My COVID-19 Vaccination Badge : First Look!
- Can Coffee Compounds Cure / Prevent COVID-19?
- Fact Check : Doctor’s Diary On Covaxin Side Effects?
- Flower of the Holy Spirit Transforms From Saint To Dove?
- 460 Deaths + 243,612 Injuries From COVID Vaccines In UK?
- Why COVID-19 Vaccine Efficacy Does NOT Matter!
- Did Al Gore Say North Pole Will Be Ice-Free By 2013?
- COVID-19 Vaccine : Which Should YOU Choose?
- Dr Clo Disinfectant Sticks : Do They Work Against COVID-19?
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
Go Back To > Healthcare | Home