Did the New York Times rank four Chinese COVID-19 vaccines as the safest in the world?
Find out what recently went viral, and what the FACTS really are!
Did NYT Rank 4 Chinese Vaccines As Safest In The World?
Sinophiles have been excitedly sharing on email and WhatsApp, this amazing piece of news :
It appears to be an English translation of this original Chinese post by a Facebook user called Tai Shing Suen.
NO, NYT Did NOT Rank 4 Chinese Vaccines As Safest In The World
The posts above are FALSE and intentionally misleading. And here are the facts…
Fact #1 : It Was An Opinion Piece, Not An Actual NYT Article
The posts included a New York Times link, but it was to an opinion piece by Achal Prabhala and Chee Yoke Ling – an Indian public health activist and a Malaysian public interest lawyer.
It was NOT an actual article by any New York Times writer or correspondent. Neither was it endorsed by the New York Times.
Fact #2 : There Was No Safety Ranking Of Vaccines
The opinion piece did not rank the safety of any vaccine.
In fact, it pointed out that the conflicting trial results for the CoronaVac vaccine from Sinovac, and noted that “China’s and Russia’s self-serving propaganda campaigns touting their respective vaccines only increased wariness“.
Instead of praising Chinese vaccines as the safest in the world, the two writers are merely asking health authorities to “start trusting other countries’ vaccines“, because there is simply not enough vaccines from Western countries to supply the world.
Fact #3 : The NYT Refuted The Claim
On 10 March 2021, The New York Times published three tweets refuting the false claims.
Fact #4 : No Phase 3 Trial Results Published Yet
So far, Chinese vaccine manufacturers have shied from publishing their Phase 3 trial data. Instead, they chose to issue press releases.
China promptly approved the public use of CoronaVac the very next day. This would not be possible for vaccines approved in the US and Europe.
We should point out that Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Oxford-AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson and even Russia’s Gamaleya Institute have released Phase 3 trial data of their vaccines for peer review.
Fact #5 : Doses Ordered, Not Delivered
The post claimed that “China has exported more than 500 million doses of vaccines to more than 50 countries around the world, and it is estimated that hundreds of millions of people have been vaccinated.”
The truth is Chinese vaccine manufacturers received ORDERS for about 500 million doses of their vaccines from about 45 countries.
They are actually a long way from delivering (exporting) those 500 million vaccine doses, and certainly hundreds of millions of people have NOT been vaccinated with Chinese COVID-19 vaccines.
Fact #6 : China Purchased 100 Million Doses Of Pfizer Vaccine
Despite the claims of Chinese vaccine superiority and approving FOUR domestically developed and produced vaccines, it has vaccinated very few of its population.
China only planned to vaccinate 50 million essential workers by mid-February – less than 4% of its population, even as it exports millions of doses overseas.
That is probably why China itself ordered 100 million doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.
Fact #7 : Flying For Early Vaccines, Not Chinese Vaccines
While the fake post insinuates that wealthy UK residents are flying to the UAE for superior Chinese vaccines, the truth is they were offered EARLY ACCESS to COVID-19 vaccines.
In February 2021, they partnered with the UAE to offer the Sinopharm vaccine as a way to “bring tourism into the area”.
This is really about the rich cutting queue and getting early access to COVID-19 vaccines, and not about wealthy UK residents actually believing in the superiority of Chinese vaccines.
Chinese Vaccines : Should You Take Them?
Yes, if approved by the health authority of your country, you should take it.
The Chinese vaccines may have lower efficacy than the Pfizer or Moderna mRNA vaccine, but they are still effective vaccines.
What we really need to understand is that ALL approved COVID-19 vaccines have been proven to prevent severe or fatal COVID-19 disease.
Just take any approved COVID-19 vaccine, and you will be protected against moderate to severe COVID-19 disease that requires medical treatment.
- Was Pfizer Vaccine Designed To Make COVID-19 Endemic?
- CoronaVac Vaccine By Sinovac : Your Questions Answered!
- CEM014 Eggs : Cook Properly Or Return Them!
- Malaysia COVID-19 Vaccine Plan : 18 March 2021 Edition!
- Can Coffee Compounds Cure / Prevent COVID-19?
- Fact Check : Doctor’s Diary On Covaxin Side Effects?
- Flower of the Holy Spirit Transforms From Saint To Dove?
- 460 Deaths + 243,612 Injuries From COVID Vaccines In UK?
- Malaysia : 5 Ways To Register For COVID-19 Vaccine!
- Why COVID-19 Vaccine Efficacy Does NOT Matter!
- Scam Alert : Remote Control Electricity Saver!
- Malaysia Approves AstraZeneca + Sinovac COVID Vaccines!
- Did Al Gore Say North Pole Will Be Ice-Free By 2013?
- COVID-19 Vaccine : Which Should YOU Choose?
- Did Spain Halt Pfizer Vaccination After Nursing Home Deaths?
- Sinovac Vaccine Arrives In Malaysia, But Not Approved Yet
- Fake COVID Vaccination With Syringe / Needle Switch?
- Fact Check: Shocking UK Report On COVID Vaccine Injuries?
- Dr Clo Disinfectant Sticks : Do They Work Against COVID-19?
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
Go Back To > Science | Fact Checks | Home