Moderna Spikevax is the second COVID-19 vaccine to receive full FDA approval!
Find out what this means, and how it differs from the earlier EUA!
Moderna Spikevax Vaccine Receives Full FDA Approval!
On 31 January 2022, the US FDA announced that they approved the second COVID-19 vaccine – the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine.
It is now allowed to be marketed as the Moderna Spikevax vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 disease in individuals 18 years of age and older.
The Moderna vaccine continues to be available under the EUA (Emergency Use Authorisation) as a third primary series dose for individuals 18 and older with certain kinds of immunocompromise, and as a single booster dose for individuals 18 years and older.
The full FDA approval was based on updated data from the original clinical trial, with a longer follow-up period. Here are the new findings :
- the vaccine was 93% effective in preventing COVID-19, and 98% effective in preventing severe disease.
- most common side effects : pain, redness and swelling at injection site; fatigue, headache, muscle or joint pain, chills, nausea/vomiting, swollen lymph nodes under the arm, and fever.
- myocarditis / pericarditis risk : highest in males 18-24 years of age, particularly within 7 days of second dose.
Read more : Why COVID-19 Vaccine Efficacy Does Not Matter!
Moderna Spikevax Vaccine : Full FDA Approval vs. EUA
The Moderna Spikevax vaccine had been available for use under the EUA (Emergency Use Authorisation) since 18 December 2020.
While antivaxxers claim that this is proof that it is still experimental, that is categorically FALSE.
The full FDA approval is then given after trial participants are followed up for at least 6 months, and the FDA has more time to increase oversight and inspection of manufacturing facilities.
Full FDA Approval For Moderna Vaccine : What Does It Mean?
Some of the press mistakenly claimed that Spikevax is the “new name” for the vaccine. That’s not true – the name was announced many months ago.
It was just not allowed to be officially marketed to the public as Spikevax until it received the full FDA approval.
The full FDA approval will allow governments and private businesses to enact vaccination mandates as they see fit.
- the military can mandate vaccinations using Moderna Spikevax for their troops,
- corporations may require vaccinations for their employees to return to the workplace,
- businesses may limit shopping or dining privileges to only fully-vaccinated people
Despite receiving full FDA approval, Moderna is required to conduct postmarking studies to further assess the risks of myocarditis and pericarditis in people who received their vaccine.
Moderna has also committed to additional studies, including a pregnancy registry study to evaluate pregnancy and infant outcomes of mothers who received their vaccine during pregnancy.
- Can German Abmonak Gargle Solution Prevent COVID-19?
- Did 10 Countries Cancel All COVID-19 Tests + Vaccinations?
- Fact Check : Did Louie Anderson Die From Booster Dose?!
- Fact Check : Did Meat Loaf Die From Booster Dose?!
- Is Stanley Johnson’s Marburg Virus Book About Vaccine Depopulation?
Go Back To > Health + Science | Tech ARP