Even though the Pfizer vaccine has been approved for children under 12, Malaysia will only be able to vaccinate them in 2022!
Here is what we know so far…
Malaysia To Vaccinate Children Under 12 Only In 2022!
On 29 October 2021, Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin said that Malaysia will proceed to procure the Pfizer vaccine for kids.
This came after the US FDA advisory panel voted on 26 October to recommend the use of the Pfizer paediatric vaccine in children 5-11 years old.
Almost immediately, parents rushed to register their children under 12 using an existing MySejahtera hack.
However, on 11 November 2021, the Malaysia Ministry of Health (KKM) said that they only expect to start vaccinating children under 12 in 2022.
The ministry was responding to a query by the Member of Parliament Wong Chen (PH-Subang) who wanted to know about the ministry’s plan to vaccinate children under 12.
In their written reply to the Parliament, the Ministry of Health said that only the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is available for use in children below 12, and is awaiting regulatory approval from the European Union and the United States.
Pfizer is also expected to submit data related to the vaccine registration for use in children below 12 by the end of this year to the NPRA (National Pharmaceutical Regulatory Agency) for evaluation and approval.
That is actually not accurate. The US FDA approved the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine in children under 12 on 29 October 2021.
The United States started vaccinating children under 12 in early November, with 360,000 children receiving their first shots by the first week.
What Malaysia Will Use To Vaccinate Children Under 12
Currently, the only vaccine to be approved for use in children under 12 is the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.
This is a lower-dose paediatric version of the COMIRNATY mRNA vaccine, with improved formulation :
- Each dose is only 10 micrograms – ⅓ of the dose used for adults and adolescents.
- It is a slightly smaller 0.2 ml intramuscular injection.
- Vaccine dose interval remains at 21 days between Dose 1 and Dose 2.
- Proven in Phase 3 trial to be 90.7% efficacious in preventing COVID-19 infections.
- Proven to produce high neutralising antibodies against the Delta variant.
- The improved formulation allows for the vaccine to be kept in a normal refrigerator for up to 10 weeks.
Please Support My Work!
Name : Adrian Wong
Bank Transfer : CIMB 7064555917 (Swift Code : CIBBMYKL)
Credit Card / Paypal : https://paypal.me/techarp
Dr. Adrian Wong has been writing about tech and science since 1997, even publishing a book with Prentice Hall called Breaking Through The BIOS Barrier (ISBN 978-0131455368) while in medical school.
He continues to devote countless hours every day writing about tech, medicine and science, in his pursuit of facts in a post-truth world.
- Malaysia : 5-11 Yo Kids To Get Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine!
- Malaysia’s COVID-19 Booster Dose Policy Explained!
- Did Thai Student Die From Mixing Of COVID-19 Vaccines?
- Did Jean Yip Hairdresser Die From COVID-19 Booster Dose?
- Can Caffeine, Theophylline, Theobromine Cure COVID-19?
- Did Dr Vincent Wang Die From Pfizer Booster Dose?
Go Back To > Health + Science | Tech ARP