A new viral post is circulating on social media, claiming that a lady badly burned her hands after the alcohol from the hand sanitiser she used caught fire!
Find out what the hoax claimed, and why this is yet another Internet hoax!
Hand Sanitiser Alcohol Catching Fire : The Hoax!
First, let’s take a look at the viral hoax that people are forwarding on social media. There are actually TWO versions…
Note : We added a HOAX disclaimer to the original photo, to prevent it from being used to fool more people.
Hand Sanitiser Alcohol Catching Fire : Hoax Debunked!
Now, let’s look at why this is yet another Internet hoax…
Alcohol Evaporates Completely!
First of all, the alcohol in alcohol-based hand sanitisers evaporates COMPLETELY when you rub it all over your hands.
If there’s any residue, that would be additives in the hand sanitiser – usually some kind of moisturiser to counter the drying action of the evaporating alcohol.
Unless you leave it to pool in your hands, the alcohol will evaporate completely, leaving nothing to catch fire.
That’s A Skin Graft Donor Site
If we are not mistaken, that picture is of a burn victim whose forearm was harvested for skin grafts.
You can see the sharp edges on her right forearm – an actual burn would not look like that.
You can also see the pattern on the donor site – marks of the dermatome.
What About That Hospital Memo On Alcohol Catching Fire?
You may have seen this Penang Adventist Hospital internal memo circulating around the same time.
If you actually read it carefully, it merely points out that alcohol-based hand sanitisers are POTENTIALLY flammable, which is true.
So it makes sense for them to warn that it would be a good idea to keep alcohol-based hand sanitisers away from high temperatures and flames.
But nowhere did it state that the alcohol in such hand sanitisers can catch fire AFTER you use it to sanitise your hands!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus : Why Snakes Are Not Hosts!
- Chloroquine Was NOT Approved By FDA To Treat COVID-19!
- MYEG COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Genuine, But…
- COVID-19 Rapid Tests : What You Need To Know!
- MYEG vs KKM : Our COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Real!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Gargling Hoax Debunked!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- The Double-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- American Origin Of H1N1 Pandemic Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Symptoms Revealed In JAMA Study!
- COVID-19 : Protect With Surgical Mask + Eyewear!
- Hand Sanitiser vs Soap : Which Should YOU Use?
- Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses Debunked!
- Yes! Surgical Masks Can Protect Us Against Influenza!
- Wang Guangfa : Wuhan Coronavirus Can Infect Through Eyes!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- How Did Iran Shoot Down UIA Flight PS752 By Mistake?
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- The 2-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- The Viral Soda / Soft Drink Egg Video Hoax Debunked!
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Sheryl Crow Bottled Water Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
- Can Bottled Water Cause Cancer?
- Princeton University Warns Of Cancer Risk From Fridge Magnets
- Kinder Joy wax coating causes cancer?
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked