Dr Clo sterilisation sticks from South Korea are being marketed as 99.9% effective against COVID-19.
Take a look at their claims, and find out what the FACTS really are!
Dr Clo Disinfectant Sticks : Chlorine Dioxide Sanitisers
Dr Clo disinfectant sticks, also known as Dr Clo sterilisation sticks, were developed by NON Corporation from South Korea.
Originally designed to be a sanitising deodorant, they are now being marketed as 99.9% effective against the COVID-19 virus, SARS-CoV-2.
Say NO to COVID-19 virus and protect your little ones with Dr. Clo today!
Simply hook the Dr. Clo device onto their backpacks or hang it around their neck to keep them safe
It claims to create an invisible shield that disinfects a space of up to 16 feet in radius, by releasing chlorine dioxide gas into the air.
Bring a Dr. Clo sterilisation device back home and let it do all the work for you!
Dr. Clo acts as an invisible shield that disinfects your surroundings for up to 16 ft radius.
It’s truly a portable protection for you to fight against bacteria, germs, and viruses!
Dr Clo Disinfectant Sticks : TLDR Summary
Here is a quick summary on Dr Clo disinfectant sticks :
- They are registered with the US FDA as a general purpose sanitiser.
- Class I refers to the low risk devices, not the quality or efficacy of the product.
- They were registered as 510(K) exempt from proving safety or efficacy, so they were not tested or approved by the US FDA.
- The KR Biotech lab test only proves that an aqueous chlorine dioxide solution can kill SARS-CoV-2 virus, not the actual chlorine dioxide gas released by the disinfectant sticks.
- The US FDA warns that chlorine dioxide cannot treat or prevent COVID-19.
- The European Chemicals Agency and US FDA warn that chlorine dioxide can be toxic and dangerous.
Therefore, we do NOT recommend using Dr Clo disinfectant sticks to prevent COVID-19, or any other viruses or bacteria.
Dr Clo Disinfectant Sticks : Do They Work Against COVID-19?
Dr Clo made a number of claims about their disinfectant sticks, including being over 99.9% effective against the COVID-19 virus.
Let’s examine each claim, and see what the FACTS really are!
Claim #1 : Dr Clo Is US FDA Approved
Verdict : It Was Registered, But Not Tested Or Approved
In their website , Dr Clo said that their disinfectant sticks are registered with the US FDA as a Class 1 Hospital Grade Disinfectant, while claiming that they were “Tested By Experts”.
In their Facebook posts though, they claimed that Dr Clo devices are FDA approved, and completely safe for pregnant women and children (we will come back to this later).
The truth is Dr Clo disinfectant sticks were NOT TESTED and were NOT APPROVED by the US FDA.
With the exception of certain reserved devices, the US FDA does NOT require Class I products to even prove that they are safe and effective.
As a 501(K) exempt device, “a premarket notification application and FDA clearance is not required before marketing the device“.
The US FDA only requires the manufacturer “to register their establishment“, which was what Dr Clo did.
Therefore, Dr Clo disinfectant sticks were neither tested, nor approved, by the US FDA.
Claim #2 : Dr Clo Was Certified 99.9% Effective Against COVID-19 Virus
Verdict : Only In A Lab, Using A Solution (Not Gas)
In December 2020, NON Corporation announced that their Dr Clo disinfectant sticks were proven to be 99.9% effective against SARS-CoV-2, the COVID-19 virus.
This was based on a laboratory test conducted by KR Biotech Co. Ltd under the Institute of Infectious Disease Control of Konkuk University.
In that test, KR Biotech dissolved an entire Dr Clo disinfectant stick in 100 ml of warm water for 24 hours, to create an aqueous chlorine dioxide solution.
That concentrated chlorine dioxide solution reduced the SARS-CoV-2 virus titre (amount of virus) by 99.93% after just 30 seconds.
However, the actual Dr Clo disinfectant stick works by releasing small amounts of chlorine dioxide gas over 50 days, so the laboratory test was completely pointless.
The KR Biotech test results do not prove that the chlorine dioxide gas from Dr Clo disinfectant sticks can actually destroy the SARS-CoV-2 virus in the air, much less prevent you from getting infected.
Lots of things can kill the SARS-CoV-2 virus, including ordinary soap! But that does not mean these substances can effectively kill SARS-CoV-2, or prevent an infection, when dispersed into the air.
We should also point out that the US FDA warned the public about fraudulent claims that chlorine dioxide can cure COVID-19.
“Despite previous warnings, the FDA is concerned that we are still seeing chlorine dioxide products being sold with misleading claims that they are safe and effective for the treatment of diseases, now including COVID-19.
The sale of these products can jeopardize a person’s health and delay proper medical treatment,” said FDA Commissioner Stephen M. Hahn, M.D
Claim #3 : Chlorine Dioxide Is Not Toxic
Verdict : Chlorine Dioxide Is Toxic, Warns ECHA + US FDA
To prove that Dr Clo is safe, NON Corporation had it tested by the Korea Testing and Research Institute (KTR) for toxins and carcinogens.
KTR tested the Dr Clo disinfectant sticks against the Candidate List of Substances of Very High Concern from the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).
This is a red herring because those chemicals are “carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic for reproduction“. In other words, chemicals that could cause cancer.
Just because a chemical is not in that list, does NOT mean it is safe to breathe in.
In fact, the same ECHA warns that chlorine dioxide is dangerous, and can be fatal if inhaled, is toxic if swallowed, and can cause severe skin burns and eye damage.
The US FDA has also warned about the dangers of chloride dioxide, calling it “a powerful bleaching agent that has caused serious and potentially life-threatening side effects“.
- Updated SOP for MCO / PKP 2.0 : What You Need To Know!
- MCO 2.0 Updates For Night Markets + Businesses
- Beware Of AirAsia X Scam On WhatsApp!
- GeForce RTX 3080 Mining Rig Inside A BMW i8 Hybrid!
- Hotel Equatorial Penang Closes Its Doors On 31 March 2021
- Malaysia MCO : Eateries + Restaurants Can Open Till 10 PM!
- Malaysia MCO : Nine States + Territories Extended To 4 Feb!
- Whole Malaysia, Except Sarawak, Under MCO Lockdown!
- Seremban + Port Dickson Under MCO On 19 January 2021!
- Kelantan + 3 Sarawak Areas Under MCO On 16 January 2021!
- MCO in Penang : 14 Roadblocks + 2 Road Closures!
- 2021 MCO / CMCO / RMCO : What You Need To Know!
- 2021 MCO : Business Sectors Allowed By MITI
- Iconic Penang Ferry Service To Continue… Temporarily!
- Can Donald Trump Really Blame Iran For Rocket Attack?
- Is WhatsApp Forcing Us To Share Data With Facebook In February 2021?
- Fact Check : Sungai Buloh Hospital Cramped With Patients?
- 2021 MCO / PKP Of 6 States : Not True… For Now
- Is Genting Highlands Closed Over Many COVID-19 Cases?
- Hello? WhatsApp Is Already Sharing Data With Facebook!
- Malaysia : Register For COVID-19 Vaccine Via MySejahtera
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
Go Back To > Medicine | Fact Check | Home