Can COVID-19 spread through fruits and vegetables? A Hong Kong laboratory claimed to have found the evidence…
Find out what the facts are, and how to safely purchase fruits and vegetables to avoid COVID-19!
Can COVID-19 Spread Through Fruits & Vegetables?
This message has been circulating on WhatsApp for a few days, claiming that a Hong Kong laboratory found trace amounts of the COVID-19 virus on the skin of fruits and vegetables long after an infected person touched them.
From trusted source in Hong Kong today:
“In our laboratory, we found trace amount of the virus on the skin of fruits and vegetables after 12 hours of being touched by another customer who was infected.
We recommend our staff to avoid salads. Do not eat the fruits within 48 hours of purchase, or pour some boiling water over the fruit before cutting. Berries, apples, cucumbers and tomatoes are the worst because some people eat the skin.
This explains why the virus is spreading faster in the west than asia. Most Asians do not eat salad and very few people eat the skin of any fruit.
We have to assume anything that comes from outside our home within 48 hours is infected. Shoes, clothes, our hair, all food.”
Recommended : Harvard : Grocery Shopping Safety During COVID-19
COVID-19 Can Spread Through Fruits & Vegetables, But…
Now, COVID-19 spreads through respiratory droplets, and can persist for a short time.
So it is entirely possible that an infected person may transmit the virus droplets to fruits and vegetables by handling them, or coughing / sneezing near them.
That’s why health experts are advising you to only touch what you wish to purchase, and wash your produce with soap and water.
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
However, the message that have been circulating above is FAKE, and we will show you why…
Reason #1 : No News Report On Such A Tremendous Discovery
If this Hong Kong laboratory discovered that the COVID-19 virus persists on the skin of fruits and vegetables, it would have been headline news worldwide.
Health authorities would have to issue directives on how to keep fresh produce clean and clear of the COVID-19 coronavirus (also known as SARS-CoV-2).
Yet, there is not a single reliable news report on such a tremendous discovery.
Reason #2 : COVID-19 Not Proven To Spread Through Fruits / Vegetables
According to the Harvard School of Public Health, there is no evidence that COVID-19 can spread through fruits and vegetables.
You also need to physically touch your face with your contaminated, to transfer the virus to your eyes, nose and mouth. If you wash your hands with soap or a hand sanitiser – you will be safe.
Reason #3 : Soap Destroys COVID-19
There is no need to keep your fruits for 48 hours. Neither do you need to pour boiling water over the fruits, before cutting them.
Reason #4 : COVID-19 Is Not Spreading Faster In The West Than The East
COVID-19 is not spreading in the West “faster” than in the East. It’s spreading rapidly WORLDWIDE.
This is due to the ease by which people travel these days – whether it’s by air, rail, or public transport.
That’s why many countries are imposing home quarantines or movement restrictions, to cut the chain of infection.
Reason #5 : Asia Was NOT Spared
The hypothesis that Asians are less susceptible because they do not eat the skin of fruits, or salad, is clearly false, because COVID-19 is rapidly spreading across Asia.
Until recently, China had the most COVID-19 cases in the world. And it is rapidly spreading across the rest of Asia.
Wash Food With Soap : Are You Crazy?
It is actually common for people to wash fruits and vegetables with food-safe soap to get rid of dirt and pesticides, especially if they plan on eating them raw.
While we cannot advocate any particular food-safe soap, here are some you can buy online (prices as of 26 March 2020) :
- Pureen (600 ml) : RM 10.25 | RM 10.50 | RM 11.50 | RM 11.50
- Pureen (600 ml x 4) : RM 43.50 | RM 45 | RM 48.68
- Pureen (600 ml x 12) : RM 122
- Safeguard (750 ml) : RM 20.90
- THREELAB BIO Eco (500 ml) : RM 33.90 | RM 33.90
- THREELAB BIO Eco (500 ml x 2) : RM 66.30 | RM 66.30
- THREELAB BIO Eco (500 ml x 6) : RM 193.80
- Bacoff (500 ml) : RM 25 | RM 26.90
- Harvest Pure (437 ml) : RM 21.50 |RM 22 | RM 27
- Harvest Pure (437 ml x 2) : RM 54
- E-Clean Powder (300 g) : RM 14.90
- DXN Vege Celen (250 ml) : RM 21.50
- Auro from Germany (500 ml) : RM 83.72
- Pureen (600 ml) : S$5.50 | S$5.50
- Pureen (600 ml x 3) : S$14.82 | S$15.60 | S$15.60
- Pureen (600 ml x 12) : S$57.60
- Bacoff (500 ml) : S$14.90 | S$15.50
- ECOS (650 ml) : S$8.30
- Nature Love Mere (500 ml) : S$7.90
- Nature Love Mere (750 ml) : S$9.90
- Nature Love Mere (1250 ml) : S$15.90
- Veggie Wash (16 oz x 3) : $96
- Arm & Hammer (16.9 oz) : $7.50
- 23.4° (72 oz x 3) : $22.46
- Vegeaqua (10.6 oz) : $13.85
- Microdyn (1000 ml) : $44.99
- Fit Organic (32 oz x 3) : $44.99
- Environne (16 oz x 6) : $25.60
- Ecological (500 ml) : £14.95
- Veggie Wash (16 oz) : A$10.44
- Veggie Wash (1 gallon) : A$91.94
- 23.4° (72 oz x 3) : A$42.03
- Varna (500 ml x 6) : A$125.99
- ATTITUDE (27.1 oz) : A$10.18
- COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- Chloroquine Poisoning : Do NOT Use It To Prevent COVID-19!
- Hand Sanitiser Alcohol Catching Fire : Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus : Why Snakes Are Not Hosts!
- Chloroquine Was NOT Approved By FDA To Treat COVID-19!
- MYEG COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Genuine, But…
- COVID-19 Rapid Tests : What You Need To Know!
- MYEG vs KKM : Our COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Real!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Gargling Hoax Debunked!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- The Double-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- American Origin Of H1N1 Pandemic Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Symptoms Revealed In JAMA Study!
- COVID-19 : Protect With Surgical Mask + Eyewear!
- H1N1 Pandemic : The Great American Cover-Up Debunked!
- Hand Sanitiser vs Soap : Which Should YOU Use?
- Why Snakes Are Not Source Of Wuhan Coronavirus!
- Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses Debunked!
- Yes! Surgical Masks Can Protect Us Against Influenza!
- Wang Guangfa : Wuhan Coronavirus Can Infect Through Eyes!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- How Did Iran Shoot Down UIA Flight PS752 By Mistake?
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- The 2-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- The Viral Soda / Soft Drink Egg Video Hoax Debunked!
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Sheryl Crow Bottled Water Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)