COVID-19 easily spreads through touch, but what about our food – fruits, vegetables, or even takeouts?
Find out what you should or should not do, to ensure that your food is safe from COVID-19!
COVID-19 Food Safety : Pre-packed Food / Takeouts
First, let’s address the simpler issue of food takeouts, based on advice from the CDC, Harvard School of Public Health, the US FDA and the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control.
- COVID-19 is unlikely to be transmitted through cooked foods.
- Cooking destroys COVID-19, so the only risk is if an infected person coughs onto the food while packing it
- There is some risk with raw, uncooked foods like salads, so try not to order such foods.
- COVID-19 can be present on cash, so it would be a good idea to prepay with a credit card.
- Where possible, request for food deliveries with minimal or no contact – food left at the doorstep.
- COVID-19 can remain on cardboard surfaces for up to 24 hours, so it is advisable to transfer the meal onto a plate and discharge the packaging
- Always wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, after handling food takeouts
COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables + Other Raw Foods
This is important for those who like to eat salads, not just those eating fruits. It basically covers any kind of raw food.
- There is currently no evidence that COVID-19 can spread through eating or touching raw fruits or vegetables.
- The COVID-19 virus can survive on surfaces for a limited amount of time, but not for long periods of time like some other viruses.
- Avoid squeezing and touching fruits and vegetables unless you intend to buy them.
- You should at least wash fruits, vegetables and other raw foods in clean running water, before consuming them.
- To be safe, foods that are meant for raw consumption should be washed with (food-safe) soap and water.
- In case you are worried about the virus sticking onto the skin, you can peel the fruits, and wash your hands, before eating them.
- Wash and clean cutting boards, utensils and dish cloths with hot, soapy water.
- Wash your hands with soap and water, before and after preparing your food
Again, we should repeat that there has been NO documented cases of COVID-19 transmission through food.
Health authorities are only advocating for good hand washing practices, before and after preparing food… and of course, before consuming your food.
Recommended : Can COVID-19 Spread Through Fruits & Vegetables?
Wash Food With Soap : Are You Crazy?
No, actually, some people wash fruits and vegetables with food-safe soap to get rid of dirt and pesticides, especially if they plan on eating them raw.
While we cannot advocate any particular food-safe soap, here are some you can buy online (prices as of 26 March 2020) :
- Pureen (600 ml) : RM 10.25 | RM 10.50 | RM 11.50 | RM 11.50
- Pureen (600 ml x 4) : RM 43.50 | RM 45 | RM 48.68
- Pureen (600 ml x 12) : RM 122
- Safeguard (750 ml) : RM 20.90
- THREELAB BIO Eco (500 ml) : RM 33.90 | RM 33.90
- THREELAB BIO Eco (500 ml x 2) : RM 66.30 | RM 66.30
- THREELAB BIO Eco (500 ml x 6) : RM 193.80
- Bacoff (500 ml) : RM 25 | RM 26.90
- Harvest Pure (437 ml) : RM 21.50 |RM 22 | RM 27
- Harvest Pure (437 ml x 2) : RM 54
- E-Clean Powder (300 g) : RM 14.90
- DXN Vege Celen (250 ml) : RM 21.50
- Auro from Germany (500 ml) : RM 83.72
- Pureen (600 ml) : S$5.50 | S$5.50
- Pureen (600 ml x 3) : S$14.82 | S$15.60 | S$15.60
- Pureen (600 ml x 12) : S$57.60
- Bacoff (500 ml) : S$14.90 | S$15.50
- ECOS (650 ml) : S$8.30
- Nature Love Mere (500 ml) : S$7.90
- Nature Love Mere (750 ml) : S$9.90
- Nature Love Mere (1250 ml) : S$15.90
- Veggie Wash (16 oz x 3) : $96
- Arm & Hammer (16.9 oz) : $7.50
- 23.4° (72 oz x 3) : $22.46
- Vegeaqua (10.6 oz) : $13.85
- Microdyn (1000 ml) : $44.99
- Fit Organic (32 oz x 3) : $44.99
- Environne (16 oz x 6) : $25.60
- Ecological (500 ml) : £14.95
- Veggie Wash (16 oz) : A$10.44
- Veggie Wash (1 gallon) : A$91.94
- 23.4° (72 oz x 3) : A$42.03
- Varna (500 ml x 6) : A$125.99
- ATTITUDE (27.1 oz) : A$10.18
- Can COVID-19 Spread Through Fruits & Vegetables?
- Chloroquine Poisoning : Do NOT Use It To Prevent COVID-19!
- Hand Sanitiser Alcohol Catching Fire : Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus : Why Snakes Are Not Hosts!
- Chloroquine Was NOT Approved By FDA To Treat COVID-19!
- MYEG COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Genuine, But…
- COVID-19 Rapid Tests : What You Need To Know!
- MYEG vs KKM : Our COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Real!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Gargling Hoax Debunked!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- The Double-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- American Origin Of H1N1 Pandemic Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Symptoms Revealed In JAMA Study!
- COVID-19 : Protect With Surgical Mask + Eyewear!
- H1N1 Pandemic : The Great American Cover-Up Debunked!
- Hand Sanitiser vs Soap : Which Should YOU Use?
- Why Snakes Are Not Source Of Wuhan Coronavirus!
- Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses Debunked!
- Yes! Surgical Masks Can Protect Us Against Influenza!
- Wang Guangfa : Wuhan Coronavirus Can Infect Through Eyes!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- How Did Iran Shoot Down UIA Flight PS752 By Mistake?
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- The 2-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- The Viral Soda / Soft Drink Egg Video Hoax Debunked!
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Sheryl Crow Bottled Water Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
Go Back To > Science | Home
Support Tech ARP!
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!