COVID-19 easily spreads through touch, but what about our food – fruits, vegetables, or even takeouts?
Find out what you should or should not do, to ensure that your food is safe from COVID-19!
COVID-19 Food Safety : Pre-packed Food / Takeouts
- COVID-19 is unlikely to be transmitted through cooked foods.
- Cooking destroys COVID-19, so the only risk is if an infected person coughs onto the food while packing it
- There is some risk with raw, uncooked foods like salads, so try not to order such foods.
- COVID-19 can be present on cash, so it would be a good idea to prepay with a credit card.
- Where possible, request for food deliveries with minimal or no contact – food left at the doorstep.
- COVID-19 can remain on cardboard surfaces for up to 24 hours, so it is advisable to transfer the meal onto a plate and discharge the packaging
- Always wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, after handling food takeouts
COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables + Other Raw Foods
This is important for those who like to eat salads, not just those eating fruits. It basically covers any kind of raw food.
- There is currently no evidence that COVID-19 can spread through eating or touching raw fruits or vegetables.
- The COVID-19 virus can survive on surfaces for a limited amount of time, but not for long periods of time like some other viruses.
- Avoid squeezing and touching fruits and vegetables unless you intend to buy them.
- You should at least wash fruits, vegetables and other raw foods in clean running water, before consuming them.
- To be safe, foods that are meant for raw consumption should be washed with (food-safe) soap and water.
- In case you are worried about the virus sticking onto the skin, you can peel the fruits, and wash your hands, before eating them.
- Wash and clean cutting boards, utensils and dish cloths with hot, soapy water.
- Wash your hands with soap and water, before and after preparing your food
Again, we should repeat that there has been NO documented cases of COVID-19 transmission through food.
Health authorities are only advocating for good hand washing practices, before and after preparing food… and of course, before consuming your food.
Recommended : Can COVID-19 Spread Through Fruits & Vegetables?
Wash Food With Soap : Are You Crazy?
No, actually, some people wash fruits and vegetables with food-safe soap to get rid of dirt and pesticides, especially if they plan on eating them raw.
While we cannot advocate any particular food-safe soap, here are some you can buy online (prices as of 26 March 2020) :
- Pureen (600 ml) : RM 10.25 | RM 10.50 | RM 11.50 | RM 11.50
- Pureen (600 ml x 4) : RM 43.50 | RM 45 | RM 48.68
- Pureen (600 ml x 12) : RM 122
- Safeguard (750 ml) : RM 20.90
- THREELAB BIO Eco (500 ml) : RM 33.90 | RM 33.90
- THREELAB BIO Eco (500 ml x 2) : RM 66.30 | RM 66.30
- THREELAB BIO Eco (500 ml x 6) : RM 193.80
- Bacoff (500 ml) : RM 25 | RM 26.90
- Harvest Pure (437 ml) : RM 21.50 |RM 22 | RM 27
- Harvest Pure (437 ml x 2) : RM 54
- E-Clean Powder (300 g) : RM 14.90
- DXN Vege Celen (250 ml) : RM 21.50
- Auro from Germany (500 ml) : RM 83.72
- Pureen (600 ml) : S$5.50 | S$5.50
- Pureen (600 ml x 3) : S$14.82 | S$15.60 | S$15.60
- Pureen (600 ml x 12) : S$57.60
- Bacoff (500 ml) : S$14.90 | S$15.50
- ECOS (650 ml) : S$8.30
- Nature Love Mere (500 ml) : S$7.90
- Nature Love Mere (750 ml) : S$9.90
- Nature Love Mere (1250 ml) : S$15.90
- Veggie Wash (16 oz x 3) : $96
- Arm & Hammer (16.9 oz) : $7.50
- 23.4° (72 oz x 3) : $22.46
- Vegeaqua (10.6 oz) : $13.85
- Microdyn (1000 ml) : $44.99
- Fit Organic (32 oz x 3) : $44.99
- Environne (16 oz x 6) : $25.60
- Ecological (500 ml) : £14.95
- Veggie Wash (16 oz) : A$10.44
- Veggie Wash (1 gallon) : A$91.94
- 23.4° (72 oz x 3) : A$42.03
- Varna (500 ml x 6) : A$125.99
- ATTITUDE (27.1 oz) : A$10.18
- Can COVID-19 Spread Through Fruits & Vegetables?
- Chloroquine Poisoning : Do NOT Use It To Prevent COVID-19!
- Hand Sanitiser Alcohol Catching Fire : Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus : Why Snakes Are Not Hosts!
- Chloroquine Was NOT Approved By FDA To Treat COVID-19!
- MYEG COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Genuine, But…
- COVID-19 Rapid Tests : What You Need To Know!
- MYEG vs KKM : Our COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Real!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Gargling Hoax Debunked!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- The Double-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- American Origin Of H1N1 Pandemic Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Symptoms Revealed In JAMA Study!
- COVID-19 : Protect With Surgical Mask + Eyewear!
- H1N1 Pandemic : The Great American Cover-Up Debunked!
- Hand Sanitiser vs Soap : Which Should YOU Use?
- Why Snakes Are Not Source Of Wuhan Coronavirus!
- Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses Debunked!
- Yes! Surgical Masks Can Protect Us Against Influenza!
- Wang Guangfa : Wuhan Coronavirus Can Infect Through Eyes!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- How Did Iran Shoot Down UIA Flight PS752 By Mistake?
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- The 2-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- The Viral Soda / Soft Drink Egg Video Hoax Debunked!
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Sheryl Crow Bottled Water Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)