A new JAMA-published study by Dawei Wang et al reveals the key symptoms of patients infected by the COVID-19 coronavirus.
Their study will serve as a useful guide for clinicians and public health officials trying to differentiate it from influenza.
Note : This article was originally published on 9 February 2020, and was updated and republished due to reader interest.
COVID-19 | SARS-CoV-2 : A Quick Explainer
First of all, we should clarify that SARS-CoV-2 is the official name of 2019-nCoV, in recognition of how closely it resembles the SARS virus, genetically.
The disease it causes is called COVID-19, which is short for Coronavirus Disease 2019).
COVID-19 should be used when you refer to the disease, and SARS-CoV-2 when referring to the virus. But for ease of understanding, we may use COVID-19 coronavirus to replace SARS-CoV-2.
COVID-19 Coronavirus : Key Symptoms!
The highly-anticipated study by Dawei Wang et al, titled Clinical Characteristics of 138 Hospitalized Patients With 2019 Novel Coronavirus-Infected Pneumonia In Wuhan, China was published in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) on 7 February 2020.
It looked at the clinical characteristics of 138 patients who were hospitalised at the Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, from 1 January to 28 January 2020.
Top 5 Symptoms Of COVID-19 Coronavirus Patients
Their study showed that fever is the chief symptom, and there were very few reports of headache, dizziness, nausea or vomiting.
Dry cough was reported by just over half the patients, and only about ⅓ reported muscle pain. And no one reported a runny or stuffy nose.
This will help to clinically differentiate COVID-19 from the far more common influenza.
Here are the top 5 symptoms of the Wuhan coronavirus that the study identified from those 138 patients :
|Top 5 Symptoms||No. Of Patients||% Of Patients|
(Shortness of Breath)
Top 5 Symptoms Of COVID-19 Coronavirus Patients Requiring ICU Care
Interestingly, they also looked at the symptoms that are more common in patients who ended up requiring ICU care.
They are more likely to lose significant weight and suffer shortness of breath, compared to patients who did not require ICU care.
Here are the top 5 symptoms in patients requiring ICU care. Note that a P value of < 0.05 is considered statistically significant.
(Shortness of Breath)
(Pain in Pharynx)
COVID-19 Coronavirus : What Treatments Did The Chinese Try?
The study also looked at the treatments the Chinese tried with those 138 patients.
While they noted that many patients received antibiotic cover, the key treatments they trialed against the Wuhan coronavirus were Tamiflu (oseltamivir), oxygen support, and glucocorticoid therapy.
|Treatment||No. Of Patients||% Of Patients|
Just before the report was released, they did a final follow-up on 3 February 2020, and found that :
- 47 patients (34.1%) recovered, and had been discharged
- 85 patients (61.6%) were still hospitalised
- 6 patients (4.3%) died
Recommended : Hand Sanitiser or Soap : Which Should YOU Use?
COVID-19 Coronavirus : How To Keep Safe!
The COVID-19 coronavirus is new and scary, but we are more likely to be infected and killed by the influenza virus.
We just need to practice a few simple steps to stay safe :
- Avoid suspected cases or disease hotpots, like hospitals, if possible!
- Keep our hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep our home, office, vehicles, etc. clean
- If you need to wear a surgical mask, make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus : Why Snakes Are Not Hosts!
- Chloroquine Was NOT Approved By FDA To Treat COVID-19!
- MYEG COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Genuine, But…
- COVID-19 Rapid Tests : What You Need To Know!
- MYEG vs KKM : Our COVID-19 Rapid Test Kits Are Real!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Gargling Hoax Debunked!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- The Double-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- American Origin Of H1N1 Pandemic Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 : Protect With Surgical Mask + Eyewear!
- Hand Sanitiser vs Soap : Which Should YOU Use?
- Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses Debunked!
- Yes! Surgical Masks Can Protect Us Against Influenza!
- Wang Guangfa : Wuhan Coronavirus Can Infect Through Eyes!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- How Did Iran Shoot Down UIA Flight PS752 By Mistake?
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- The 2-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- The Viral Soda / Soft Drink Egg Video Hoax Debunked!
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Sheryl Crow Bottled Water Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
- Can Bottled Water Cause Cancer?
- Princeton University Warns Of Cancer Risk From Fridge Magnets
- Kinder Joy wax coating causes cancer?
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked
Go Back To > Science | Home
Support Tech ARP!
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!