Here are the scientifically and medically-recommended ways to protect yourself against the COVID-19 virus. Please ignore the many FAKE NEWS and FAKE ADVICE!
Please read and SHARE this article with your family and friends, and please ignore trolls who tell you that Vitamin C or rasam will cure or prevent infection by this virus!
COVID-19 | SARS-CoV-2 : A Quick Explainer
First of all, we should clarify that SARS-CoV-2 is the official name of 2019-nCoV, in recognition of how closely it resembles the SARS virus, genetically.
The disease it causes is called COVID-19, which is short for Coronavirus Disease 2019.
COVID-19 should be used when you refer to the disease, and SARS-CoV-2 when referring to the virus. But for ease of understanding, we may use COVID-19 coronavirus to replace SARS-CoV-2.
Recommended : COVID-19 Coronavirus Symptoms Revealed In JAMA Study!
COVID-19 : Protect With Surgical Masks + Eyewear!
For those who just want a quick and simple summary, this is what you need to do :
- STAY AWAY from crowds or disease hotpots, like hospitals, if possible!
- maintain good hygiene by cleaning your hands with soap or hand sanitiser
- if you are in a COVID-19 hotspot, wear a surgical mask or N95 respirator
- if you need to come into close contact with a patient, wear protective eyewear
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Face Masks vs Surgical Masks vs N95 Respirators
Face masks are generally worn for fashion, although their users may believe that they can filter out dust. They are usually reusable, being made from washable cotton, and often lack a filter.
A proper 3-ply surgical or medical mask, on the other hand, has three layers – each with very specific functions :
- an outer hydrophobic layer, which repels water, blood and body fluids,
- a middle filter layer that is designed to filter bacteria, and
- an inner hydrophilic layer, which absorbs water, sweat and spit
There are also 2-ply face masks that are usually made from the same material – fabric or polypropylene or other kinds of non-woven material. There is NO FILTER layer. These are usually used in the spa or food industry.
Finally, we have N95 respirators that are designed to form a tight seal over your mouth and nose, and will filter 95% of particles with a median diameter of 0.3 microns.
Surgical Masks Are As Effective As N95 Respirators
N95 respirators are all the rage in Asia, because they are the only effective personal filtration solution for the haze.
However, a new CDC-sponsored study, published in JAMA on 3 September 2019, showed that surgical masks are as effective as N95 respirators in preventing influenza infections amongst healthcare workers.
While studies will need to be conducted to determine how effective surgical masks are against the COVID-19 coronavirus, we do know that it is larger than, or as large as, the influenza A virus
Based on the influenza test results, it is likely that the COVID-19 coronavirus will be as effectively blocked by a 3-ply surgical mask.
Surgical masks also help reduce infections by preventing users from touching their faces with dirty / infected hands.
This is important because many people do not get infected by breathing in viral particles floating in the air, but by touching their mouth and nose with their contaminated hands.
However, please note that unless you are living in a COVID-19 hotspot, there is NO NEED to wear surgical masks!
Recommended : Hand Sanitiser vs Soap : Which Should We Use?
Where To Buy Surgical Masks
Before you rush out to buy surgical masks, please make sure they are proper 3-layer surgical masks, and not 2-ply face masks or fashion masks. Here are some online purchase options :
Eyewear May Be Needed Against COVID-19
Wang Guangfa, a Chinese respiratory specialist was infected by COVID-19, despite taking precautions including wearing an N95 respirator.
He believes it may have infected him through his eyes, a possibility that is being investigated but has yet to be confirmed.
Out of an abundance of caution, healthcare workers who are in direct contact with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 cases are wearing protective eyewear.
At the moment, the scientific consensus is that there is no need for the public to wear protective eyewear.
However, if one of your family members may be infected with COVID-19, you should wear protective eyewear as a precaution.
There is no need to purchase specialised medical eyewear. Just use whatever you have at home – workman’s protective glasses, spectacles, sunglasses or even swimming googles.
But if you really want a cheap, cool-looking protective glasses that cover both ocular orbits, this is what I’m using – the Honeywell A700 safety glasses.
Here are some online purchase options if you are interested to get the Honeywell A700 as well :
- Malaysia : RM 11-15.99 | RM 19.90
- Singapore : S$5.62 | S$8.80
- US : $6.61 | S$6.79 | $7.37 | $7.69 | $7.84 | $7.98
- UK : £2.09 | £7.49
- AU : A$12.03 | A$12.42 | A$21.39 | A$33.96
- H1N1 Pandemic : The Great American Cover-Up Debunked!
- COVID-19 : Key Symptoms Revealed In JAMA Study!
- Hand Sanitiser vs Soap : Which Should We Use?
- Rasam Antidote For Wuhan | Nipah | SARS Viruses Debunked!
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- Why Snakes Are Not Source Of Wuhan Coronavirus!
- Yes! Surgical Masks Can Protect Us Against Influenza!
- Wang Guangfa : Wuhan Coronavirus Can Infect Through Eyes!
- Wuhan Coronavirus : Can Face Masks Help Protect Us?
- How Did Iran Shoot Down UIA Flight PS752 By Mistake?
- Face Masks – Do They Really Help With Haze / Air Pollution?
- The 2-Sided Surgical Mask Hoax Debunked!
- The Viral Soda / Soft Drink Egg Video Hoax Debunked!
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- The Sheryl Crow Bottled Water Cancer Hoax Debunked!
- Can Soda Or Soft Drinks Really DISSOLVE Egg Shells?
- Why Jessica Biel Is WRONG About Vaccine Exemptions
- Michael Carley : The Needs of Teens & Adults on the Autism Spectrum
- The Kedder Human Puppies Hoax Debunked!
- 16 Girls Pregnant After A Boy Ejaculated Into The Swimming Pool?
- The Panadol Kills Vultures & Humans Hoax Debunked!
- Why You Can’t Get Pregnant From Sperm In Swimming Pools
- Correcting The Record On Andrew Wakefield (Updated)
- The GMO Egg vs. Organic Egg Comparison Debunked
- Can Bottled Water Cause Cancer?
- Princeton University Warns Of Cancer Risk From Fridge Magnets
- Kinder Joy wax coating causes cancer?
- 12 Scientific Reasons For Declaring Pigs Haram Debunked