Did a 20 year-old man die from COVID-19 after contracting it from a contaminated package?
Find out what’s this new viral story (pun intended!) and what the FACTS really are!
Claim : Man Dies From COVID-19 Contaminated Package!
There are two messages that have gone viral in the last few days on social media, about a young man who died from COVID-19, after contracting it from a contaminated package!
👆🏽Hati2 bila kurier hantar barang.. (cdg: biarkan 1 jam+ dan basuh dettol)
From someone in Subang SS17 chat group:-
My neighbour’s son, Chan in Kuantan Taman Tas just passed away from covid. He was only 20 yrs old. He only had headache which he thought was migraine (3 hours) and took panandol but after 2 hours he died at home. No other symptoms at all but just headache. Fortunately his parent had been vaccinated so not affeted at all. He is student and study only at his house. Never go anywhere. He got it because he took a courier package. The courier guy who stay in Batu 10 kuantan had covid . after chan death then forensic check only know he died from covid. Both of them wore mask. The courier guy is now in icu.h Stage 4. Thats why now it has spread everywhere in Kuantan.
Beware, make sure you sanitize every parcel, letter or delivered foods package upon receiving.
No! He Did NOT Die From COVID-19 Contaminated Package!
Like 95% of what you read on social media, this is yet another piece of fake news. Here are the FACTS…
Fact #1 : No 20 Year-Old Man Was Brought In Dead In Pahang
Our sister site, The Rojak Pot has a running list of all COVID-19 deaths in Malaysia.
If you search the list, you will see that only two 20 year-old males died in Malaysia :
- Case 252679 : 20 year-old Malaysian male, who passed away at the Sungai Buloh Hospital in Selangor.
- Death #2417 : 20 year-old Malaysian male from KL, who passed away at the Sungai Buloh Hospital in Selangor.
As you can see, neither died in Pahang, and they both died in a hospital. Neither were brought in dead to the hospital.
Fact #2 : Pahang Health Department Called It Fake News
On 30 May 2021, the Pahang State Department denied that a 20 year-old man from Taman Tan passed away from COVID-19.
The Pahang State Health director, Datuk Dr. Bahari Che Awang Ngah said that only 58 people died in Pahang, and the youngest was a 23 year-old man.
He also said that the Tengku Ampuan Afzan Hospital did not receive any BID (Brought In Dead) cases involving individuals in their 20s.
Fact #3 : Fomite Transmission Is Rare
Early studies show that the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19 can persist on surfaces for a long time.
However, later quantitative microbial risk assessment (QMRA) studies show that the risk of getting infected through contact with contaminated surfaces / objects (fomites) is low.
How low? Generally, less than 1 in 10,000 contacts with a contaminated surface will result in a COVID-19 infection.
While not impossible, it is much harder to get infected from touching contaminated surfaces or objects, because you have to then touch your eyes, nose or mouth with your contaminated hands to get infected.
That is likely why there have been no COVID-19 clusters attributed to packages / parcels delivered by couriers or mail services.
Fact #4 : COVID-19 Primarily Spreads Through People
The SARS-CoV-2 virus primarily spreads through droplets, as well as through aerosol, from infected people. It does not spread by touch.
Hence, the best policy for courier or mail services is to insist that EVERYONE must wear a face mask.
This prevents direct transmission by droplets, and greatly cuts down on aerosols. And best of all – it prevents the parcels and packages from being contaminated!
If everyone wears a face mask, fomites – contaminated surfaces or objects – will be virtually non-existent.
Fact #5 : COVID-19 Is Easily Destroyed By Soap!
While Dettol can kill the SARS-CoV-2 virus, there is no need to go to such extremes. Simple soap and water will destroy the virus!
If you are super worried about contaminated packages, just wiped them down (if they’re wrapped in plastic) with soapy water, or alcohol-based hand sanitiser.
Recommended : Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
Fact #6 : You Can’t Get Contaminated If You Sanitise Your Hands!
Instead of worrying so much about getting your hands contaminated with COVID-19, just sanitise them!
You can’t get COVID-19 from contaminated surfaces if you keep your hands clean!
Just wash your hands with soap and water after opening the parcel, or sanitise them using hand sanitiser (with at least 60% alcohol).
This isn’t just my advice, this is what the US CDC recommends too!
Help Support My Work!
If you would like to support my work, you can do so via bank transfer / PayPal / credit card.
Name : Adrian Wong
Credit Card / Paypal : https://paypal.me/techarp
Bank Transfer : CIMB 7064555917 (Swift Code : CIBBMYKL)
Thank you in advanced! ❤️
- Government To Cut Civil Service Allowance For 3 Months!
- MySejahtera : How To Delete / Migrate Vaccine Dependent?
- Malaysia Total Lockdown SOP : 31 May 2021 Update!
- COVID-19 Vaccine Dependents : Can They Go Alone?
- VAERS : How Antivaxxers Use It To Support Their Fake News!
- Did Dr. Joey Avila Die From COVID-19 After Sinovac Dose 2?
- India COVID-19 Cases Plummet Due To Ivermectin + HCQ?
- Joint Vaccine Appointments : How To Get Them?
- All 12 Million Sinovac Vaccine Doses To Arrive By July 2021!
- 1 Million AstraZeneca Doses Coming, But No More Opt-In!
- LDV Syringe : How To Read The Volume Correctly?
- Failed To Get AstraZeneca 2.0? Check MySejahtera Anyway!
- AstraZeneca 2.0 Appointments Delayed But Will Come!
- Scam Alert : Herbal Visual Tea For Glaucoma / Cataract!
- Can You Get The COVID-19 Vaccine With Other Vaccinations?
- Vaccine Underdose : What Should You Watch Out For?
- AstraZeneca Vaccine : Can You Ask For Earlier Second Dose?
- AstraZeneca Vaccine Blood Clots : What To Look For?
- Can You Take Painkillers Before / After COVID-19 Vaccination?
- Why You Should NOT Reject The Vaccine You’re Offered!
Go Back To > Fact Check | Health | Tech ARP
Support Tech ARP!
If you like our work, you can help support us by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!