The COVID-19 booster dose is now available to adults who are 40 years and older!
Here is what you need to know…
COVID-19 Booster Dose Now Open To Adults 40 & Above!
Malaysia started the COVID-19 vaccine booster dose programme on 13 October 2021, targeting medical and security frontliners, people who are 60 years or older, and people with co-morbidities.
On 9 November 2021, the Ministry of Health announced that the booster dose programme would henceforth be open to younger adults. The new criteria to receive the COVID-19 booster dose is now :
- all frontliners
- adults without co-morbidities : 40 years and above
- adults with co-morbidities : 18 years and above
In addition, the booster dose will only be given to those who received these vaccines :
- Sinovac CoronaVac : more than 3 months after Dose 2
- Pfizer COMIRNATY : more than 6 months after Dose 3
There is currently NO booster dose programme for the AstraZeneca vaccine, because its protection appears to remain strong even after 6 months.
You will receive the Pfizer booster dose, even if you were given the Sinovac vaccine earlier. This mixing of vaccines (called heterologous vaccination) is not only safe, it gives you a bigger boost in protection against the coronavirus.
COVID-19 Booster Dose For Adults : A Quick Primer
As of 12 November 2021, only the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine has been approved for use as a booster dose in Malaysia.
The Pfizer booster dose is the same as the first two doses of the COMIRNATY vaccine – 30 micrograms in a 0.3 ml intramuscular injection.
For those who earlier received the Pfizer vaccine, the booster dose works like a refresher class in college, offering your immune system a third self-defence class against the SARS-CoV-2 virus. It also kickstarts the production of new antibodies against the coronavirus.
For those who earlier received the Sinovac vaccine, the Pfizer booster dose works like a different, better self-defence class. Instead of learning Tai Chi for the third time, you are now learning Wing Chun or Krav Maga.
- Malaysia To Vaccinate Children Under 12 Only In 2022!
- Malaysia : 5-11 Yo Kids To Get Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine!
- Malaysia’s COVID-19 Booster Dose Policy Explained!
- Did Thai Student Die From Mixing Of COVID-19 Vaccines?
- Can Caffeine, Theophylline, Theobromine Cure COVID-19?
- Did Dr Vincent Wang Die From Pfizer Booster Dose?
Go Back To > Health + Science | Tech ARP