Find out why people believe that the Chinese are using coffee to prevent COVID-19, and what the facts really are!
Claim : Coffee Compounds Found To Prevent COVID-19!
Coffee Compounds Found To Prevent COVID-19? Bullshit!
This is yet another Internet hoax, a modified version of the earlier tea cure hoax.
Dr. Li Wenliang did not document any case files for research purposes, or proposed any cure for COVID-19.
Neither are the Chinese using coffee to cure or prevent COVID-19 infections in Wuhan. Here’s how we know that…
Fact #1 : There Is No Such CNN News Report
A quick check of the CNN website and Google reveals that there is no such CNN news report, claiming that Dr. Li Wenliang proposed coffee as a cure, or that the Chinese were using coffee to cure or prevent COVID-19 infections.
Fact #2 : Dr Li Wenliang Was An Ophthalmologist!
Dr. Li Wenliang, who was one of several whistleblowing doctors raising alarm about the new virus, was an ophthalmologist.
As such, he would have treated eye conditions like cataracts, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and the like. Not viruses like COVID-19.
His role in this COVID-19 tragedy was raising the alarm first set off by ER doctor, Dr. Ai Fen, who shared a patient’s report with her former classmates and colleagues.
Fact #3 : Methylxanthines Are Found In Chocolate, Coffee & Tea
Methylxanthines (or methylated xanthines) are a group of chemicals which include caffeine, theophylline, and theobromine. They are found not only in tea, but also chocolate and coffee.
Theophylline is predominant in tea, while theobromine is abundant in chocolate, and caffeine is the main methylxanthine in coffee.
If methylxanthines can really prevent COVID-19, why didn’t the writer suggest eating chocolate and drinking both coffee and tea for maximum effect?
Fact #4 : China Consumes More Coffee Than India
The Chinese may not drink as much coffee as they do tea, but it is really racist to say that unlike Indians, the Chinese do not know that coffee contains those compounds.
In 2019, the 1.43 billion Chinese population consumed US$8.2 BILLION worth of coffee, while the 1.37 billion Indian population consumed only US$903 MILLION worth of coffee.
In other words, the Chinese consume 8.7X more coffee per capita than the Indians. Could that suggest they are probably more aware of its health benefits?
Fact #5 : Coffee Cannot Cure / Prevent COVID-19
If coffee can prevent COVID-19, countries with high coffee consumption would see far fewer cases.
Yet the top 5 consumers of coffee in the world – Iceland, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland – have over 141,000 infections as of 12 June 2020, while China only has 83,000 infections.
Those 5 countries have a population of only 42 million, while China has 34X more people – 1.43 billion of them!
In other words, drinking coffee appears to make people 58X more likely to get infected by COVID-19! Of course, we are not so silly as to make that claim, because correlation does NOT mean causation!
But what we can say is that drinking coffee won’t prevent COVID-19.
Fact #6 : There Is Currently No Cure For COVID-19
As of 12 June 2020, there is no known cure or treatment for COVID-19.
On 19 March 2020, the US FDA issued a statement, reiterating once again that “there are no FDA-approved therapeutics or drugs to treat, cure or prevent COVID-19.”
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Stay at home or shelter in place
- Keep your hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep your home, office, vehicle, etc. clean
- If you must go out, maintain a social distance of 6 feet (2 metres)
- Wear a surgical mask and make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- Fact Check : Fridge Magnet Cancer Warning By Princeton Uni!
- Fact Check : Flower of the Holy Spirit – From Saint To Dove!
- COVID-19 : Release Patients Even If Positive After 14 Days?
- Fact Check : Hand Sanitiser Catches Fire, Burns Woman!
- Higher RON Octane Rating Myth Debunked!
- Hand Sanitiser : Can It Set Your Car On Fire?
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Fact Check : Tasuku Honjo Bets Nobel Prize On China Creating COVID-19
- Fact Check : Prolonged Use of Face Mask Causes Hypoxia!
- Face Mask : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Fact Check : Tasuku Honjo Confident USA Created COVID-19!
- Fact Check : Fox News Hot Mic Leaks COVID-19 Hoax + Vaccine
- Fact Check : Empty Hospitals Prove COVID-19 Is Fake?
- Hydroxychloroquine Risk : Death From Cardiac Arrest!
- How Social Contact Spreads COVID-19 + Creates Clusters!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
- China Just Sent Donald Trump These Face Shields!
- DIY Face Shield : An Easy Way To Make / Mass Produce!
- Is COVID-19 An Airborne Virus? Here Are The Facts!
- Can COVID-19 Spread Through Fruits & Vegetables?
- COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts