Is the natural health company Champ Fit correct that inhaling steam and supplements can prevent COVID-19?
Find out what they are claiming, and what the FACTS really are!
Champ Fit Claims That Inhaling Steam + Supplements Prevent COVID-19!
A Champ Fit video of Managing Director Hema Malini Nidamanuri claiming that inhaling steam and supplements can prevent COVID-19 is going viral on WhatsApp.
Let’s go through her claims one by one, and see if what the facts really are…
Claim #1 : No Vaccines For Respiratory Diseases Have 100% Efficiency
She does not appear to understand the difference between EFFICACY and EFFICIENCY.
Efficiency is about achieving something in the most economical way, so it’s a management term, not a medical term.
When it comes to the performance of vaccine, medical professionals refer to either its efficacy or its effectiveness :
- Efficacy : how much protection the vaccine offers under ideal, controlled trial conditions
- Effectiveness : how much protection the vaccine offers in a real world condition (people have underlying conditions, and take medications that may interfere with the vaccine, for example)
Claim #2 : The First Set Of COVID-19 Vaccines Maybe At 50% To 70% Efficiency
While she claims that is what WHO has said, she is WRONG. WHO said no such thing.
The first two COVID-19 vaccines, from Pfizer and Moderna, have efficacy rates of 95% and 94.5% respectively.
That means they will reduce cases of COVID-19 in a vaccinated population by 95% and 94.5% respectively.
Recommended : Pfizer + Moderna mRNA Vaccines : How Do They Work?
Claim #3 : The Rest Depends On Your Body Immunity
FALSE. SARS-CoV-2 is a novel coronavirus – a brand new virus that our body has NEVER encountered.
Therefore, our immune system has no defences, no understanding of how to fight off SARS-CoV-2.
A good immune system doesn’t make your immune to COVID-19.
In fact, severe COVID-19 disease (and death) is caused by the immune system overreacting to the SARS-CoV-2 virus, inducing a cytokine storm.
Claim #4 : WHO Said That These Vaccines Are Only 50% Efficient
FALSE. WHO never said or promised that COVID-19 vaccines are only 50% efficacious. In fact, WHO isn’t even the body that licenses vaccines.
The US FDA was the body that set a MINIMUM EFFICACY of 50% for a COVID-19 vaccine to be approved.
Other regulatory bodies may have their own minimum efficacy rates to licence COVID-19 vaccines. But not WHO.
Claim #5 : The Coronavirus Hides In The Paranasal Sinus For The First Two Days
FALSE. Coronaviruses of any kind, SARS-CoV-2 other otherwise, do NOT go for a 2-day holiday in your paranasal sinuses before infecting you.
That’s pseudoscience bullshit.
Claim #6 : It Takes A Few Days For SARS-CoV-2 To Reach Your Throat And Lungs
FALSE. She is probably confused by the incubation period, which is the time between exposure to the SARS-CoV-2 virus and when symptoms start appearing.
After exposure to SARS-CoV-2, the virus will IMMEDIATELY hijack your cells to replicate. It takes a few days before it infects enough cells, and your body recognises and reacts to the threat, for symptoms to show.
But that doesn’t mean they are on a holiday in your paranasal sinuses, or taking their own sweet time trekking their way to your lungs.
Claim #7 : Steam Weakens / Kills The Virus In The Nose
FALSE. Inhaling steam will NOT weaken or kill any virus in your nose. Inhaling hot steam at 60°C to 70°C can cause burn damage to your nose.
In fact, Dr. Satyanarayana Mysore, the HOD of Pulmonology at Manipal Hospitals reported seeing many cases of scalded airways and worsening asthma due to steam inhalation in March, April and May 2020.
Claim #8 : Steaming Was Promoted In China, Japan, Taiwan To Control COVID-19
FALSE. These countries have NEVER used steaming to control COVID-19. They simply used a mixture of :
- physical distancing or lockdowns
- mandatory requirement to wear face masks in public
- stringent hand hygiene practices
She also FALSELY made the claim that those countries promoted steaming as a way to control COVID-19.
Recommended : Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
Claim #9 : Using Eucalyptus Oil While Inhaling Steam Works Against COVID-19
FALSE. No medical expert has ever recommended inhaling steam with eucalyptus oil. In fact, they are warning about the dangers of Essential Oil-Induced Seizures (EOIS)!
Dr. Thomas Mathew, Professor and HOD of Neurology at St. John’s Medical College Hospital, said that, “People must avoid adding essential oils, eucalyptus oil and pain balm to water while inhaling steam. These stimulate the brain and cause seizures. We see at least two such cases every month“.
Claim #10 : All The Doctors Are Inhaling Steam + Saying It Really Works Against COVID-19
There are NO DOCTORS inhaling steam to prevent COVID-19, because IT DOES NOT WORK!!!
And let me remind you again – doctors are WARNING against inhaling steam because it can scald and damage your airways!!!
Claim #11 : Supplements Help Against COVID-19
FALSE. There is no evidence that any supplement can help prevent or cure COVID-19.
Taking multi-vitamin supplements will not help boost your immune system, unless you have a very poor diet.
There’s a reason why they are called supplements – because they are meant to supplement a bad diet.
A good, wholesome diet, will provide your body all the necessary macro- and micro-nutrients it needs.
- 23 Post-Vaccination Deaths In Norway : The Facts + The BS!
- Can This Corona Kashayam Recipe Prevent COVID-19?
- Fact Check : Can Betadine + Listerine Prevent COVID-19?
- Malaysia Approves Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine!
- Malaysia Buys 25 Million Pfizer BNT162b2 Vaccine Doses!
- 2021 MCO / CMCO / RMCO : What You Need To Know!
- Is WhatsApp Forcing Us To Share Data With Facebook In February 2021?
- Fact Check : Sungai Buloh Hospital Cramped With Patients?
- 2021 MCO / PKP Of 6 States : Not True… For Now
- Is Genting Highlands Closed Over Many COVID-19 Cases?
- Hello? WhatsApp Is Already Sharing Data With Facebook!
- Malaysia : Register For COVID-19 Vaccine Via MySejahtera
- Shopping Malls With COVID-19 Cases : Misleading!
- Fact Check : PDRM Alert On 2021 New Year Eve Celebrations!
- Doctor Infected With COVID-19 After Patient Lied!
- Antivaxxers Keep Creating Fake Tiffany Dover Death Claims!
- Did Alabama Nurse, Tiffany Dover, Die From Pfizer Vaccine?
- Will COVID-19 Turn Breastmilk Yellow With Antibodies? 🤔
- Did This Nurse Faint After Getting Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine?
- Is First Woman To Get COVID-19 Vaccine In Critical Condition?
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
Go Back To > Medicine | Fact Checks | Home