Health authorities are delaying the second AstraZeneca vaccine dose to 12 weeks, but can you ask for an EARLIER second dose? Should you?
AstraZeneca Vaccine : Can You Ask For Earlier Second Dose?
As we reported earlier, the second dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine has been set at 12 weeks in Malaysia, as it is in many other countries.
But you can ask to receive the second AstraZeneca dose earlier than 12 weeks, if for example, you need to travel for work or studies.
The option is not there yet, but it will be made available on the Vaksin COVID website soon.
All AZ second dose appt will be updated soon to 12 weeks. This will be reflected in MySj. 12 weeks is the default. Some still have a shorter interval in their MySj. This will be rectified ASAP. @JKJAVMY will accept requests for shortened interval via website soon.
— Khairy Jamaluddin
(@Khairykj) May 16, 2021
AstraZeneca Vaccine : Will Earlier Second Dose Reduce Efficacy?
The short answer is yes, an earlier second dose will reduce efficacy for the AstraZeneca vaccine.
A study under review at the Lancet found that the UK approach of delaying the second dose until 12 weeks / 3 months later made the vaccine more effective!
In light of the UK results, the WHO changed its advisory on the AstraZeneca vaccine, to recommend that the second dose be given 8 to 12 weeks after the first dose.
|Less Than 6 Weeks||54.9%|
|12 Weeks Or More||82.4%|
But do not worry if you need to take your dose a little earlier at 8 weeks. These efficacy results are looking at symptomatic COVID-19 – including those with mild symptoms.
Even the first dose alone will greatly protect you against hospitalisation and death! The second dose just gives you an extra boost against mild or asymptomatic COVID-19!
So please try and get vaccinated before you travel, even if it means taking the second dose earlier. Some protection is better than no protection at all!
Recommended : Why COVID-19 Vaccine Efficacy Does NOT Matter!
- AstraZeneca Vaccine Round 2 : How To Register For It!
- AstraZeneca Vaccine Blood Clots : What To Look For?
- Fact Check : US Withdraws After Chinese Jamming Attacks?
- Fake COVID-19 Vaccine Injection In Malaysia Debunked!
- Fact Check : New Deadly African COVID-19 Variant?
- Is COVID-19 Spreading Through Gas / Petrol Pumps?
- AstraZeneca Vaccine Waiting List : Check For The Alert!
- AstraZeneca Vaccine Opt-In Round 2 : Here Are The Details!
- Fake News Alert : Sinovac Vaccines For Selangor Residents!
- Ivermectin Can Prevent / Cure COVID-19? Not So Fast!
- AstraZeneca Vaccine : Second Dose Set At 12 Weeks!
- WTCKL Vaccination Centre : A Video + Pictorial Guide!
- Can You Take Painkillers Before / After COVID-19 Vaccination?
- Can Pfizer mRNA Vaccine Cause Prion / Alzheimer’s Disease?
- When Can You Get Vaccinated After COVID-19 Infection?
- KRI Nanggala Submarine : Was Its Wreck Recovered?
- Did Salk Institute Prove Covid-19 Vaccines Cause Blood Clots?
- Did Dr. Rajendra Kapila Die From COVID-19 After Vaccination?
- Ryan’s Autism Journey – Be The Miracle!
- Dr Clo Disinfectant Sticks : Do They Work Against COVID-19?
- Why You Should NOT Reject The Vaccine You’re Offered!