On 17 August 2017, ASUS launched the ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro (ZS551KL) smartphone with Korean superstar Gong Yoo at the Next TV Studio in Taipei. Let’s take a look at the specifications and key features of the ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro, as well as our hands-on preview of the first unit in Taipei!
The ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro (ZS551KL) Smartphone
The new ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro smartphone is targeted at users who are into mobile photography. Hence, it boasts a dual-lens main camera system. Check it out!
Elite Photographic Capability!
Whether it is the rear cameras or the front facing selfie camera, the ZenFone 4 Pro features three high end Sony camera sensrors with superior light sensitivity, focusing speeds and features.
- First rear camera – an industry leading Sony IMX362, 25mm 12 megapixel main camera with the following technologies:
- A wide F1.7 aperture that allows more light into the sensor
- Large 1/2.55” format sensor
- Large 1.4μm pixels which give the sensor superior light sensitivity
- Wide aperture and large pixels work together to achieve 8X brighter photos 1 in low light compared to other smartphone cameras.
- 4-axis OIS that allows up shutter speeds up to 4 stops slower
- Fast Dual Pixel autofocus system that achieves focus in a mere 0.03 seconds
- A SuperPixel Engine image processor that intelligently increases light sensitivity and removes photographic “noise” after the shot.
- Second rear camera – a Sony IMX351, 2X optical zoom (50mm), 16 megapixel camera for ultra-clear photos of distant subjects
- Front camera – a Sony IMX319 camera that is one of the world’s best front facing cameras
- Largest 1.4μm pixels for a front-facing camera which give the sensor superior light sensitivity
- Super-fast Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF) – a rare feature for a front camera
- Shares the SuperPixel Engine image processor with the main rear camera
The ZenFone 4 Pro also featyres the latest top-of-the-line Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC processor that has been paried with a massive 6GB of RAM.
Certain variants of the ZenFone 4 Pro also support the latest Cat 16 4CA LTE standard for up to a blazing 1000MB per second data transfer speeds on compatible networks.
Matching the photographic and processing capability of the ZenFone 4 Pro is its audio prowess which includes supremely loud 5-magnet dual speakers, a three-mic system (with one dedicated for noise cancelling), Hi-Res audio support and the industry’s best virtual surround system: DTS Headphone X:7.1.
The window to these features is a bright, 500 nits, Full-HD AMOLED display; and the entire package is wrapped in an exqusitely slim, Corning Gorilla Glass-wrapped unibody with a rounded aluminum alloy edge. The body also houses a unique anti-spoofing IR fingerprint sensor that requires the user’s live fingerprint to rapidly unlock the phone in 0.3 seconds.[adrotate group=”1″]
The ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro (ZS551KL) Specifications
|Specifications||ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro|
|Design||Glass-metal unibody with front and rear Gorilla Glass panels featuring 2.5D contoured edges. Rounded sandblasted aluminum alloy edge. Home button with integrated fingerprint sensor.|
|Display||5.5" Full HD AMOLED display (1920 x 1080) High 500nits brightness for best outdoor readability Capacitive touch panel with 10 points multi-touch (support glove touch)|
|Operating System||Android 7.1 Nougat with ZenUI 4.0|
|System Platform||Qualcomm Snapdragon 835|
|Processor||4 x Qualcomm Kryo 280 cores (2.45 GHz)
4 x Qualcomm Kyro 280 cores (1.8 GHz)
|Graphics Processor||Qualcomm Adreno 540|
|Memory||Up to 6 GB RAM|
|Storage||Up to 128 GB internal flash storage
One microSD card slot (up to 256 GB)
|Main Camera||Dual Lens Camera System
Main Camera (25 mm)
- 12 MP Sony IMX362 sensor
- 1.4 μm pixel size
- f/1.7 aperture
- Supports Dual Pixel PDAF and laser AF
- 4-axis OIS (up to 4 stops)
Zoom Camera (50 mm - 2X)
- 16 MP Sony IMX351 sensor
- 1.0 μm pixel size
- f/2.6 aperture
|Front Camera||8 MP Sony IMX319 sensor
- 1.4 μm pixel size
- f/1.9 aperture
|Connectivity||4G (Dual SIM) : CAT 12 3CA - up to 600Mbps download / 100Mbps upload
4G (Single SIM) : CAT 16 4CA – up to 1000Mbps download / 150Mbps upload (Single SIM)
WiFi (Dual SIM) : 802.11ac (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz)
WiFi (Single SIM) : 802.11ad (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz)
USB 2.0 Type C - supports OTG
|SIM Capability||Dual SIM, dual standby
SIM1 : nano SIM (2G / 3G / 4G)
SIM2 : nano SIM (2G / 3G / 4G)
|Fingerprint Sensor||0.3 sec ultrafast unlocking, anti-spoofing IR fingerprint sensor, supports 5 fingers and 360 degree recognition|
|GPS||GPS, AGPS, Glonass, BDS|
|Audio||Dual Smart amp powered speakers
Hi-Res audio output support - 192kHz/24-bit standard, 4X CD quality
DTS Headphone:X 7.1 virtual surround support
3-mic system with ASUS Noise Reduction Technology
|Battery||3,600 mAh lithium-ion battery (non-removable)|
|Available Colours||Pure Black / Moonlight White|
Other ASUS ZenFone 4 Articles
Here are the links to our other ASUS ZenFone 4 previews and articles :
- The ASUS ZenFone 4 Selfie Pro (ZD552KL) Review
- Gong Yoo Madness @ ASUS “We Love Photo”!
- The ASUS ZenFone 4 Price List & Pre-Order Offers!
- The ASUS ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL) Preview
- The ASUS ZenFone 4 Selfie Pro (ZD552KL) Preview
- The ASUS ZenFone 4 Selfie (ZD553KL) Preview
- The ASUS ZenFone 4 Max Pro (ZC554KL) Preview
Go Back To > Reviews | Home
Support Tech ARP!
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!