On 17 August 2017, ASUS launched the ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro (ZS551KL) smartphone with Korean superstar Gong Yoo at the Next TV Studio in Taipei. Let’s take a look at the specifications and key features of the ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro, as well as our hands-on preview of the first unit in Taipei!
The ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro (ZS551KL) Smartphone
The new ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro smartphone is targeted at users who are into mobile photography. Hence, it boasts a dual-lens main camera system. Check it out!
Elite Photographic Capability!
Whether it is the rear cameras or the front facing selfie camera, the ZenFone 4 Pro features three high end Sony camera sensrors with superior light sensitivity, focusing speeds and features.
- First rear camera – an industry leading Sony IMX362, 25mm 12 megapixel main camera with the following technologies:
- A wide F1.7 aperture that allows more light into the sensor
- Large 1/2.55” format sensor
- Large 1.4μm pixels which give the sensor superior light sensitivity
- Wide aperture and large pixels work together to achieve 8X brighter photos 1 in low light compared to other smartphone cameras.
- 4-axis OIS that allows up shutter speeds up to 4 stops slower
- Fast Dual Pixel autofocus system that achieves focus in a mere 0.03 seconds
- A SuperPixel Engine image processor that intelligently increases light sensitivity and removes photographic “noise” after the shot.
- Second rear camera – a Sony IMX351, 2X optical zoom (50mm), 16 megapixel camera for ultra-clear photos of distant subjects
- Front camera – a Sony IMX319 camera that is one of the world’s best front facing cameras
- Largest 1.4μm pixels for a front-facing camera which give the sensor superior light sensitivity
- Super-fast Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF) – a rare feature for a front camera
- Shares the SuperPixel Engine image processor with the main rear camera
The ZenFone 4 Pro also featyres the latest top-of-the-line Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC processor that has been paried with a massive 6GB of RAM.
Certain variants of the ZenFone 4 Pro also support the latest Cat 16 4CA LTE standard for up to a blazing 1000MB per second data transfer speeds on compatible networks.
Matching the photographic and processing capability of the ZenFone 4 Pro is its audio prowess which includes supremely loud 5-magnet dual speakers, a three-mic system (with one dedicated for noise cancelling), Hi-Res audio support and the industry’s best virtual surround system: DTS Headphone X:7.1.
The window to these features is a bright, 500 nits, Full-HD AMOLED display; and the entire package is wrapped in an exqusitely slim, Corning Gorilla Glass-wrapped unibody with a rounded aluminum alloy edge. The body also houses a unique anti-spoofing IR fingerprint sensor that requires the user’s live fingerprint to rapidly unlock the phone in 0.3 seconds.
The ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro (ZS551KL) Specifications
|Specifications||ASUS ZenFone 4 Pro|
|Design||Glass-metal unibody with front and rear Gorilla Glass panels featuring 2.5D contoured edges. Rounded sandblasted aluminum alloy edge. Home button with integrated fingerprint sensor.|
|Display||5.5" Full HD AMOLED display (1920 x 1080) High 500nits brightness for best outdoor readability Capacitive touch panel with 10 points multi-touch (support glove touch)|
|Operating System||Android 7.1 Nougat with ZenUI 4.0|
|System Platform||Qualcomm Snapdragon 835|
|Processor||4 x Qualcomm Kryo 280 cores (2.45 GHz)
4 x Qualcomm Kyro 280 cores (1.8 GHz)
|Graphics Processor||Qualcomm Adreno 540|
|Memory||Up to 6 GB RAM|
|Storage||Up to 128 GB internal flash storage
One microSD card slot (up to 256 GB)
|Main Camera||Dual Lens Camera System
Main Camera (25 mm)
- 12 MP Sony IMX362 sensor
- 1.4 μm pixel size
- f/1.7 aperture
- Supports Dual Pixel PDAF and laser AF
- 4-axis OIS (up to 4 stops)
Zoom Camera (50 mm - 2X)
- 16 MP Sony IMX351 sensor
- 1.0 μm pixel size
- f/2.6 aperture
|Front Camera||8 MP Sony IMX319 sensor
- 1.4 μm pixel size
- f/1.9 aperture
|Connectivity||4G (Dual SIM) : CAT 12 3CA - up to 600Mbps download / 100Mbps upload
4G (Single SIM) : CAT 16 4CA – up to 1000Mbps download / 150Mbps upload (Single SIM)
WiFi (Dual SIM) : 802.11ac (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz)
WiFi (Single SIM) : 802.11ad (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz)
USB 2.0 Type C - supports OTG
|SIM Capability||Dual SIM, dual standby
SIM1 : nano SIM (2G / 3G / 4G)
SIM2 : nano SIM (2G / 3G / 4G)
|Fingerprint Sensor||0.3 sec ultrafast unlocking, anti-spoofing IR fingerprint sensor, supports 5 fingers and 360 degree recognition|
|GPS||GPS, AGPS, Glonass, BDS|
|Audio||Dual Smart amp powered speakers
Hi-Res audio output support - 192kHz/24-bit standard, 4X CD quality
DTS Headphone:X 7.1 virtual surround support
3-mic system with ASUS Noise Reduction Technology
|Battery||3,600 mAh lithium-ion battery (non-removable)|
|Available Colours||Pure Black / Moonlight White|
Other ASUS ZenFone 4 Articles
Here are the links to our other ASUS ZenFone 4 previews and articles :
- The ASUS ZenFone 4 Selfie Pro (ZD552KL) Review
- Gong Yoo Madness @ ASUS “We Love Photo”!
- The ASUS ZenFone 4 Price List & Pre-Order Offers!
- The ASUS ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL) Preview
- The ASUS ZenFone 4 Selfie Pro (ZD552KL) Preview
- The ASUS ZenFone 4 Selfie (ZD553KL) Preview
- The ASUS ZenFone 4 Max Pro (ZC554KL) Preview