Page 1 : WD Gold Family, Comparison, Unboxing
WD Gold Datacenter Drives
On April 20, 2016, Western Digital launched the new WD Gold family of hard disk drives. These hard disk drives are designed for maximum performance and reliability in the highly demanding conditions of a datacenter. In fact, they are rated to handle workloads of up to 550 TB per year (1.5 TB per day), with a MTBF rating of up to 2.5 million hours!
Today, we are going to take a look at the 8TB Western Digital Gold hard disk drive. This is one of the two helium-filled WD Gold models to feature a hermetically-sealed chassis with an internal helium environment. That’s not what’s different though. For your convenience, we created a specification comparison of the WD Gold family of datacenter drives :
|Specifications||10TB WD Gold||8TB WD Gold||6TB WD Gold||4TB WD Gold|
|Advanced Format Technology||Yes (512-byte emulation)||Yes (512-byte emulation)||Yes (512-byte emulation)||No|
|Spindle Speed||7200 RPM||7200 RPM||7200 RPM||7200 RPM|
|Cache||256 MB SDRAM||128 MB SDRAM||128 MB SDRAM||128 MB SDRAM|
|Maximum Read / Write Speed||249 MB/s||205 MB/s||226 MB/s||201 MB/s|
|Sequential Read / Write Power Consumption||7.1 W / 6.7 W||7.2 W / 7.0 W||9.3 W / 8.9 W||9.0 W / 8.7 W|
|Random Read / Write Power Consumption||6.8 W / 5.0 W||7.4 W / 5.1 W||9.1 W / 7.1 W||8.8 W / 7.0 W|
|Acoustics (Seek / Idle)||36 dBA / 20 dBA||36 dBA / 20 dBA||36 dBA / 29 dBA||36 dBA / 29 dBA|
|MTBF (hours)||2.5 million||2.5 million||2 million||2 million|
|Warranty||5 Years||5 Years||5 Years||5 Years|
Now, let’s check out the 8TB WD Gold datacenter hard disk drive!
Unboxing The 8TB WD Gold Drive
The 8TB WD Gold (WD8002FRYZ) hard disk drive came in a sealed antistatic plastic pack. Notably, it lacked the usual sachet of desiccants. That’s because the drive is hermetically-sealed in the factory, and filled with helium. Also notable is their use of two gold-coloured screws to lock the PCB in place.
To remove the drive, just tear off the top or cut it open, and slide out the drive. Be sure to ground yourself before removing and handling the hard disk drive as static can damage it. In particular, you should try to avoid touching the exposed PCB located on the lower underside of the drive.
Support Tech ARP!
- 1. Page 1 : WD Gold Family, Comparison, Unboxing
- 2. Page 2 : The 8TB WD Gold Datacenter Drive, HelioSeal & Media Caching Technologies
- 3. Page 3 : SATA 6 Gb/s, What's Under The PCB?
- 4. Page 4 : Testing The 8TB WD Gold, Usable Capacity, Platter Profile, Temperature
- 5. Page 5 : Transfer Rate Range, Disk WinMark Results
- 6. Page 6 : IO Meter - Random Access Performance
- 7. Page 7 : IO Meter - Sequential Access Performance
- 8. Page 8 : IOPS Random Scaling Performance
- 9. Page 9 : IOPS Sequential Scaling Performance
- 10. Page 10 : Our Verdict & Award, Lowest Prices, Specifications