Waze is ready to assist road users to reduce their inconvenience on the roads this monsoon season!
Recent flooding issues have caused considerable inconvenience to citizens, leading to the demand for immediate action to be taken. At the moment preparations before the flooding are not sufficient for citizens to deal with floods, especially when they are on the roads.
Waze, the free, real time, crowdsourced traffic and navigation app powered by drivers, has recently added new features that could help you beat rain-inducing traffic jams and delays this year.
In fact, in December last year, Kuala Lumpur Wazers helped other Wazers know of weather-related issues, sharing more than 25,456 weather-related alerts, with hail and flooding being the most reported. Subsequently, 21,197 accident alerts were submitted by Wazers, helping other Wazers stay informed and thus safer on the roads.
Waze Weather Support: Reporting Closures in Real-Time
Waze relies on more than 420,000 global, active, volunteer Map Editors to help keep Waze maps up-to-date and accurate of real time conditions, particularly during weather issues like monsoons and floods. To help you stay informed, these editors add closures and other information directly to the Waze Map – both online and in-app.
Reporting is simple; Waze users can send in notifications about closed roads due to flooding and planned event road closures on waze.com/livemap and through the reports menu. The affected road/s will be closed and immediately reflected on the app to allow road users to feel ease when travelling.
Waze Map Editor and user insights into hazards and closure don’t just help other users on the road; Waze works with municipalities worldwide who have used Waze during weather emergencies to navigate emergency vehicles on the most optimal routes.
Waze Helps You Navigate Storms
It’s always best to stay off the road during a storm, but if you must drive, here are a few Waze weather tips to navigate the roads:[adrotate banner=”4″]
- Plan a Drive: Before you get into the car, XX
- To plan a drive: Menu >
- Determine Where to Park: Use Waze “suggeted parking” to determine the closest bay to your destination, letting users beat the congestion and avoid getting wet.
- To select a parking lot:
- Get Situated: Be sure to dock your phone and plug it in so you can hear all audio alerts and directions.
- Inform Family Friends of Your Arrival Time: Avoid any distracting “where are you?” calls and texts by sharing your estimated time of arrival (ETA)
- Send ETA: ETA Panel –> Send ETA → tap friend (or click more to send via text, email or WhatsApp) → Send → tap “Go” to start drive
- Hands-Free: To keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road, make sure hands-free and audio alerts are turned on.
- Turn on hands-free: Menu → Settings → Voice Commands → turn on “Enable”
- Turn on audio alerts: ETA Panel → Tap Sound Icon → Select “Sound On”
Support Tech ARP!