Los Angeles, California, 13 June 2016 — Today at Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) AMD CEO Lisa Su delivered a pre-launch showcase of the full line of forthcoming Radeon RX Series graphics cards set to transform PC gaming this summer by delivering enthusiast class performance and features for gamers at mainstream price points.
AMD previously showcased the Radeon RX 480 graphics card, designed for incredibly smooth AAA gaming at 1440p resolution and set to be the most affordable solution for premium VR experiences starting at just $199 SEP for the 4GB version.
Joining the Radeon RX family are the newly announced Radeon RX 470 graphics card delivering refined, power-efficient HD gaming, and the Radeon RX 460, a cool and efficient solution for the ultimate e-sports gaming experience.
Radeon RX Series
The Radeon RX Series of graphics processors are designed to transform the PC gaming industry across a variety of form factors, delivering on three fundamental “entitlements” for gamers and game developers:
- Extraordinary VR experiences at price points never offered before – Previewed at Computex, the Radeon RX Series will expand the VR ecosystem by democratizing exceptional VR experiences, making them available to many form factors and millions of consumers by lowering the cost barriers to entry.
- Great game content delivered to PC Gamers in real time – Through a combination of Radeon RX Series performance profiles and close-to-the-metal APIs that closely mirror console APIs, AMD believes that developers will be further empowered to co-develop high quality, high performing game content for both consoles and PCs, enhancing the PC gaming ecosystem.
- Console-class GPU performance for thin and light notebooks – Gaming notebooks have traditionally been large and cumbersome or under-powered for today’s gaming needs. The Radeon RX Series addresses this with flagship technology that effectively gives mobile users GPU performance that rivals that of consoles with exceptionally low power and low-z height to drive thin, light and high-performance gaming notebooks, and 1080p 60Hz gaming experiences for both eSports and AAA titles.
“Gamers and consumers today are being left behind,” said Raja Koduri, senior vice president and chief architect, Radeon Technologies Group, AMD. “Today only the top 16 percent of PC gamers are purchasing GPUs that deliver premium VR and Gaming experiences.2 Hundreds of millions of gamers have been relegated to using outdated technology. Notebook gamers are often forced to compromise. And tens of millions more can only read about incredible PC VR experiences that they can’t enjoy for themselves. That all changes with the Radeon RX Series, placing compelling and advanced high-end gaming and VR technologies within reach of everyone.”[adrotate banner=”5″]
Gamers in the market for a new graphics card need look no further than the forthcoming Radeon RX Series, consisting of:
- Superior technology engineered for unprecedented performance– The Radeon RX Series features the most advanced graphics and gaming technologies ever seen in a GPU priced under $300 SEP, delivering cutting-edge engineering to everyday PC gamers and VR consumers. The Radeon RX Series harnesses the revolutionary Polaris architecture optimized for the 14nm FinFET process, the most cutting-edge process technology in the world featuring the smallest transistors ever used in a GPU, engineered to deliver unprecedented performance and power efficiency from incredibly small and thin chips.
- Extraordinary VR experiences never widely affordable before – With models starting at $199 SEP, the Radeon RX 480 is the most affordable solution for a premium VR experience, supplying the graphics capability necessary to bring high-quality PC VR experiences from Oculus and HTC3 to anyone who wants it.
- Future-proof technologies1 – The Radeon RX Series continues the Radeon tradition of innovation, like being first to 14nm FinFET process technology, first in memory types and bandwidth like HBM, and first to support low overhead gaming APIs. Gamers will enjoy these products for a long time to come with a range of “future-proof” benefits including:
- Leading DirectX 12 and Vulkan gaming – The Polaris architecture-fueled Radeon RX Series is built to deliver phenomenal DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and DirectX 11 gaming performance, and designed to absolutely scream in DirectX 12 and Vulkan, the future of gaming. Polaris architecture uniquely supports asynchronous compute for superior experiences in games and VR applications using DirectX 12 and Vulkan. AMD brings gamers incredible DirectX 12 and Vulkan game experiences including phenomenal VR content, by collaborating with the top DirectX 12 and Vulkan developers in the world who want to develop on Radeon to bring the best games to market.
- Next-generation display technologies – Radeon RX Series includes support for next-generation HDR gaming and video on new HDR monitors and TVs. The Radeon RX Series also supports HDMI 2.0b and DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 supporting the new generation of high-resolution HDR and high-refresh displays. The Radeon RX Series features exceptional accelerated H.265 encoding and decoding, enabling effortless streaming or recording of 10-bit 4K video at 60 FPS4.
- Radeon Software designed to provide the best performance, features, stability and control – Equally as sophisticated as the Radeon RX Series graphics cards is the software that powers them. Radeon Software enables the ultimate in performance, features and stability to ensure an exceptionally smooth and fast out-of-box experience, and one that gets better with age as updates roll out.