Have a sneak peek at the upcoming vivo Electrochromic Glass technology, which could soon be covering their smartphones!
vivo Electrochromic Glass Technology
Electrochromic glass is a type of smart glass, whose colour or opacity changes when a voltage is applied to it.
Already used in the automotive industry to create rear-view mirrors that automatically adjust their tint in different lighting conditions, it will soon come to smartphones.
vivo is developing their own version of the electrochromic glass to change the hue of the back panel, instantaneously and on demand.
Because colour or opacity changes in electrochromic glass must be maintained by a continuous electrical current, a concern is battery life.
vivo claims that their electrochromic glass technology “does not consume a lot of power” and “is unlikely to have much impact” on the phone’s battery life.
Of course, until they give us hard numbers, it’s really hard to know what they mean by “not … a lot of power” or “much impact“.
vivo Electrochromic Glass Sneak Peek
vivo shared this sneak peek video of their Electrochromic Glass prototype in action.
Although it’s not ready for mass production, their prototype shows how quickly and smoothly the hue of the back panel changes.
As impressive as this may be, we have to point out that beyond aesthetics and bragging rights, there is really not much use for electrochromic glass.
More so when almost everyone slaps on a protective case on opening the box of a new smartphone!
Or are we too old school? Tell us what YOU think!
- POCO X3 NFC : Powered By New Snapdragon 732G!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Series : Exynos 990 Performance!
- Samsung Galaxy Note20 | Note20 5G : Awesome Deals In Malaysia!
- Samsung Book Cover Keyboard For Galaxy Tab S7+ Review!
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 : Unboxing + Hands-On Preview!
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 : What You Need To Know!
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 : Key Technologies Explained!
- Xiaomi 3rd Generation Under-Display Camera Technology!
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 | Tab S7+ : Performance Comparison!
- 2020 HUAWEI MatePad : Mid-Range Tablet With 2K Display!
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus : Hands-On Preview!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra Battery Life Comparison
- Fitbit Sense : World’s Most Advanced Health Smartwatch?
- Fitbit Versa 3 : Now With GPS + Active Zone Minutes!
- Fitbit Inspire 2 : Fitness Tracker With 10 Day Battery Life!
- Snapdragon 865 Plus vs Exynos 990 Performance Compared!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 | Note 20 Ultra Comparison!
- vivo X50 + X50 Pro Gimbal Smartphones Compared!
- OPPO 125W Flash Charge | 65W AirVOOC : Vapourware?
- OPPO 125W Wired + 65W Wireless Charging Tech Details!
- HUAWEI MatePad Pro In-Depth Review : A Great Bargain!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Price Leaks : Slightly Cheaper!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 : Pre-Launch Sneak Peek
- Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus BTS Edition : Unboxing!
- HUAWEI MatePad Pro 5G : Everything You Need To Know!
- MeeTime : Free Voice + Video Calls On HUAWEI Devices!
- Will BeiDou Give HUAWEI Phones FREE Calls + Internet?
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus BTS Edition : Pre-Order Deal!
- Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus BTS Edition : Pre-Order Deal!
- Samsung Galaxy A31 : 48MP Quad Camera System FTW!
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Cloud White : Crisp, Clean Look!
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus Aura Red : Flaming Hot!
- Samsung Link To Windows Guide : Work From Home Easier!
Go Back To > Mobile Devices | Home
Support Tech ARP!