Samsung sent us their latest Galaxy S22 Ultra smartphone, and here is our hands-on experience!
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra : Our Hands-On Experience!
Samsung combined their Galaxy S and Galaxy Note series into the Galaxy S22 Ultra – their latest flagship smartphone.
Not only does it adopt the blockier industrial design language of the Galaxy Note series, it also comes with the S Pen built-in!
Here is our hands-on experience of the new Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra smartphone!
6.8-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display
The Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra comes with a massive 6.8-inch display, with a Dynamic AMOLED 2X panel.
Its wide colour gamut of 100% DCI-P3, a peak brightness of 1750 nits, and a contrast ratio of 3 million:1 will guarantee the best possible image quality, whether indoors or outdoors.
Gamers will love its high dynamic refresh rate of up to 120 Hz, with a touch sampling rate of up to 240 Hz.
4nm Flagship Mobile Platform
The Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra is built around the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 mobile SoC, which is fabricated on the latest 4nm Samsung process technology.
Together with a powerful Adreno 730 GPU, it has eight processor cores in a triple-tier architecture :
- a Cortex-X2 prime core running at up to 3 GHz,
- three sustained-performance Cortex-A710 cores running at up to 2.5 GHz, and
- four energy-efficient Cortex-A510 cores running at 1.8 GHz.
Memory + Storage Options
Samsung will be offering four memory and storage options, but not all of them are available globally :
- 8 GB RAM + 128 GB storage
- 12 GB RAM + 256 GB storage
- 12 GB RAM + 512 GB storage
- 12 GB RAM + 1 TB storage
As the premiere Samsung smartphone, the Galaxy S22 Ultra comes with a smorgasbord of cameras!
In the front, it has a 40 MP camera, with a wide f/2.2 aperture, and the ability to combine pixels for better low-light performance.
In the back, it has a quad-camera system that consists of :
- a 108 MP Dual Pixel camera, f/1.8 aperture
- a 12 MP ultra-wide angle camera, f/2.2 aperture
- a 10 MP telephoto camera with 3X optical zoom, f/2.4 aperture, and
- a 10 MP periscope camera with 10X optical zoom, f/4.9
Ultra-Low Latency S Pen
The Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra is the only model in the Galaxy S22 family to come with the S Pen.
Just like the Galaxy Note series, it has a dedicated S Pen slot, so you will never have to worry about dropping the S Pen.
This is an improved S Pen, with ultra-low latency of just 2.8 ms – down from 9 ms in the previous generation. This gives it an instantaneous feel, just like writing an actual pen on paper.
Built To Last
The Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra is protected in the back and front by the latest Corning Gorilla Glass Victus+.
On top of that, it is IP68-rated against dust and water ingress. That means it can withstand immersion in up to 1.5 metres of fresh water for up to 30 minutes.
Battery + Charging
The Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra comes with a large 5,000 mAh battery, which offers a very long battery life.
On top of that, it can support wired charging at up to 45 watts, with wireless charging supported at up to 15 watts.
It also supports Wireless PowerShare, allowing you to recharge other smartphones and wearables like the Galaxy Buds2.
The only downside – Samsung is not providing the 45 watt charger in-the-box.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra : Specifications
|Specifications||Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra|
|Display||6.8-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display
– 120 Hz dynamic refresh rate
– 240 Hz touch sampling (Game Mode)
– 100% DCI-P3 colour gamut
– 1750 nits peak brightness
– 3 million:1 contrast ratio
|Protection||Gorilla Glass Victus+ (front and back)|
|OS||One UI 4.1 (Android 12)|
|Platform||Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1|
|CPU||1 x Arm Cortex-X2 core (3.0 GHz)
3 x Arm Cortex-A710 cores (2.5 GHz)
4 x Arm Cortex-A510 cores (1.8 GHz)
|GPU||Qualcomm Adreno 730|
|8 GB + 128 GB
12 GB + 256 GB / 512 GB / 1 TB
|Front Camera||40 MP camera, f/2.2|
|Main Cameras||108 MP Dual Pixel camera, f/1.8
12 MP ultra-wide camera, f/2.2
10 MP 3x zoom camera, f/2.4
10 MP 10x zoom camera, f/4.9
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi : Up to Wi-Fi 6E
Bluetooth : BT 5.2
USB : USB Type C
|S Pen||Yes, 2.8 ms latency|
|Fingerprint Sensor||Yes, Under Display|
|Other Sensors||Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyroscope,
Geomagnetic, Hall, Light, Proximity
|GPS||GPS, Beidou, Galileo, Glonass, QZSS|
|Battery||5,000 mAh Li-Po battery|
|Charging||45 watt wired charging
15 watt wireless charging
|Dimensions||77.9 mm wide
163.3 mm tall
8.9 mm thick
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra : Price + Availability
Samsung is offering the Galaxy S22 Ultra in four colour options – Burgundy, Green, Phantom Black and Phantom White.
I had the opportunity to attend an exclusive Samsung preview event, to check out all four colours for ourselves.
Note : Samsung only allowed us to use digital cameras, so the video is not stabilised as it would be with smartphones that I generally use.
Here in Malaysia, it is available starting 10 February 2022 in three variants, at these price points :
- 8 GB + 128 GB : RM 5,099 (about US$1,219 / £899 / A$1,699 / S$1,629)
- 12 GB + 256 GB : RM 5,499 (about US$1,314 / £969 / A$1,829 / S$1,759)
- 12 GB + 512 GB : RM 5,899 (about US$1,409 / £1,039 / A$1,959 / S$1,889)
Here are some online pre-order options :
- Malaysia : RM5,499 | RM5,499 | RM5,499 | RM5,499
- Singapore : S$1,858
- United States : US$1,199 | US$1,199
- United Kingdom : £1,149 | £1,149 | £1,249 | £1,249
- Australia : A$1,999
- HUAWEI nova 9 SE : Why You Should Not Miss Its Pre-Order!
- How To Setup Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra For The First Time!
- How To Setup The Samsung Galaxy S22 Smartphone!
- Unboxing Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra : What’s Inside Its Box?
- realme Caught Faking narzo 50 Gameplay During Launch?!