After months of re-engineering, Samsung just launched the Galaxy Fold – their first foldable smartphone.
Here is EVERYTHING you need to know about the improved Samsung Galaxy Fold, including the official hands-on video, price and availability!
Introducing The Samsung Galaxy Fold
Its killer feature is the eponymous foldable display, which promises to revolutionise how we use our smartphones.
When folded, its 4.6-inch cover display lets you use it like any other smartphone. But when you need a larger display, just unfold it to reveal its massive 7.3-inch Infinity Flex display!
According to Samsung, the combination of a cover display, and the large inner Infinity Flex display allows for better multitasking possibilities.
And here is a look at how much easier it is to take photos with the Samsung Galaxy Fold cameras, and the larger Infinity Flex display.
The Samsung Galaxy Fold Hands-On Video!
Sadly, we were not one of the few given the chance to try it out in person, but Samsung shared with us the official hands-on video that showcases its key features :
As you can see, its folding design allows for a different user experience with new possibilities. That’s why we came up with a guide for first-time users.
Samsung Galaxy Fold Specifications
|Specifications||Samsung Galaxy Fold|
- 7.3-inch Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex display
- 1536 x 2152 pixels (362 ppi)
-4.6-inch Super AMOLED display
- 720 x 1680 pixels (399 ppi)
|Operating System||Android 9.0 Pie|
|System Platform||Qualcomm Snapdragon 855|
|Processor||1 x Qualcomm Kryo 485 Gold (2.84 GHz)
3 x Qualcomm Kryo 485 Gold (2.42 GHz)
4 x Qualcomm Kryo 485 Silver (1.78 GHz)
|Graphics Processor||Qualcomm Adreno 640|
|Memory||12 GB LPDDR4X-4266|
|Storage||512 GB (UFS 3.0)|
|Front Cameras||Dual Lens Camera
- 10 MP selfie camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 8 MP depth sensor with f/1.9 aperture
|Rear Cameras||Triple Camera System
- 12 MP Dual Aperture camera with f/1.5 and f/2.4 apertures
- 12 MP telephoto camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 16 MP ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture
|SIM Capability||LTE : One eSIM + one nano SIM
5G : One nano SIM
|Network||LTE : 2x2 MIMO, 6CA, Cat18
- up to 1.2 Gbps DL, 150 Mbps UL
5G : Non-Standalone (NSA), Sub-6 GHz
|Connectivity||WiFi : 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz)
Bluetooth : BT 5.0
USB : USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type C
|Battery||LTE : 4,380 mAh dual battery
5G : 4,235 mAh dual battery
|Fingerprint Sensor||Yes, integrated into Power button|
|Other Sensors||Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor, Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor|
|NFC / Samsung Pay||Yes / Yes|
|Dimensions||Folded : 62.8 mm x 160.9 mm x 15.7 to 17.1 mm
Unfolded : 117.9 mm x 160.9 mm x 7.6 mm
|Colour Options||Cosmos Black / Space Silver|
How Durable Is The Samsung Galaxy Fold?
In contrast to HUAWEI Mate X‘s outward folding design, the inward-folding design places great stress on the seam.
Would it be able to withstand being folded many times a day? Would it break into half, like a paper clip that has been unfolded and folded too many times?
Recommended : The Tech ARP Samsung Galaxy Fold Care Guide!
The Initial Samsung Infinity Flex Qualifying Test
Here is a look at the special folding test that basically used robots to fold and unfold the Infinity Flex samples repeatedly, to see if it would withstand at least 200,000 folds and unfolds.
It took these hardworking robots a full week to complete the test!
According to Samsung, the folding test was successful, proving that their foldable display is more than tough enough to withstand daily use.
Why 200,000 folds and unfolds? That threshold was based on the requirement that the foldable display be able to withstand 100 folds and unfolds a day for at least 5 years.
Unfortunately, the Infinity Flex display of production units proved to be still too fragile for mainstream use, and its launch was delayed.
Recommended : The Samsung Galaxy Fold Launch Delay + Fix Explained!
Samsung Galaxy Fold Re-Engineered
Samsung spent the last 4.5 months re-engineering the Infinity Flex display, making it tough enough to handle not only the abuse of regular use, but also the natural follies of human nature.
The top protective layer of the Infinity Flex Display has been extended beyond the bezel, making it apparent that it is an integral part of the display structure and not meant to be removed.
Galaxy Fold features additional reinforcements to better protect the device from external particles while maintaining its signature foldable experience.
The top and bottom of the hinge area have been strengthened with newly added protection caps.
Additional metal layers underneath the Infinity Flex Display have been included to reinforce the protection of the display.
The space between the hinge and body of Galaxy Fold has been reduced.
Samsung Galaxy Fold Premier Service
Samsung also introduced a new Galaxy Fold Premier Service, which gives you exclusive access to specialised customer care :
- one-to-one access to Samsung experts,
- access to a 24/7 support hub online or over the phone
Recommended : The Samsung Galaxy Fold Premier Service Explained!
Samsung Galaxy Fold Price + Availability
Samsung is making the Fold available in these countries at these dates :
- 6 September 2019 : South Korea
- 18 September 2019 : France, Germany, Singapore, and the United Kingdom
- 16 October 2019 : Malaysia
And here are the launch prices :[adrotate group=”2″]
- South Korea : ₩ 2,398,000 (5G model)
- United States : US$ 1,980
- United Kingdom : £ 1,799
- Malaysia : RM 8,388
Here are some direct purchase links :
- United States : Space Silver | Cosmos Black
- United Kingdom : Cosmos Black
- Australia : Cosmos Black
- Malaysia : Space Silver | Cosmos Black
Recommended : Samsung Galaxy Fold Price + Pre-Order For Malaysia!
- Samsung Smart Time To Change Promotion Revealed!
- The Samsung Galaxy Fold Launch Delay + Fix Explained!
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 – Everything You Need To Know!
- The Samsung IP68 Water-Resistance Technology Guide!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus (SM-N975) In-Depth Review!
- Warning : Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Does Not Have A DAC!
- Samsung Galaxy A50s | A30s | A20s For Gen Z Revealed!
- Improved 2019 Samsung Galaxy Fold Details CONFIRMED!
- Samsung Exynos 980 – Samsung’s First 5G Mobile Platform!
- Samsung Galaxy A10s (SM-A107) : What You Need To Know!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 (SM-N970) Hands-On Preview!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 – Everything You Need To Know!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 | Note 10+ Colour Comparisons!
- Samsung Galaxy S10e (SM-G970) Review – Editor’s Choice!
- Samsung Galaxy A80 | Watch Active | Buds BLACKPINK Edition Is Here!
- Samsung Galaxy S10 (SM-G973) Review – Editor’s Choice!
- The Samsung Smart Switch Guide For iPhones!
- The Samsung Water Lock Mode Guide For Smartwatches!
Go Back To > Mobile Devices | Home
Support Tech ARP!
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!