When the Samsung Galaxy Fold was revealed, people wondered about the durability of its foldable display. To assure potential customers, Samsung just shared with us details of their special folding test.
Check out the video and details of their folding test, and find out just how durable their new foldable display really is!
The Samsung Galaxy Fold Folding Design
The inward folding design of the Samsung Galaxy Fold lets the user fold a large display into a much smaller form factor. However, it places great stress on the seam.
Would it be able to withstand being folded many times a day? Would it break into half, like a paper clip that has been unfolded and folded too many times?
The Official Samsung Galaxy Fold Folding Test
As part of their design process, Samsung designed a special folding test to assess the foldable display’s durability.
The test basically involved folding and unfolding the Galaxy Fold samples repeatedly, to see if it would withstand at least 200,000 folds and unfolds. It took these hardworking robots a full week to complete the test!
According to Samsung, the folding test was successful, proving that their foldable display is more than tough enough to withstand daily use.
Why 200,000 folds and unfolds? That threshold was based on the requirement that the foldable display be able to withstand 100 folds and unfolds a day for at least 5 years.
Samsung Galaxy Fold Specifications
|Specifications||Samsung Galaxy Fold|
- 7.3-inch Dynamic AMOLED display
-4.6-inch Super AMOLED display
|Operating System||Android 9.0 Pie|
|System Platform||Qualcomm Snapdragon 855|
|Processor||1 x Qualcomm Kryo 485 Gold (2.84 GHz)
3 x Qualcomm Kryo 485 Gold (2.42 GHz)
4 x Qualcomm Kryo 485 Silver (1.8 GHz)
|Graphics Processor||Qualcomm Adreno 640|
|Memory||12 GB LPDDR4X-4266|
|Storage||512 GB (UFS 3.0)|
|Front Cameras||Dual Lens Camera
- 10 MP selfie camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 8 MP depth sensor with f/1.9 aperture
|Rear Cameras||Triple Camera System
- 12 MP Dual Aperture camera with f/1.5 and f/2.4 apertures
- 12 MP telephoto camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 16 MP ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture
|Connectivity||WiFi : 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz)
Bluetooth : BT 5.0
USB : USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type C
|Battery||4,380 mAh lithium-ion polymer battery (non-removable)|
|Fingerprint Sensor||Yes, integrated into Power button|
|Other Sensors||Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Ambient Light Sensor, Digital Compass|
|NFC / Samsung Pay||Yes / Yes|
Samsung Galaxy Fold Price + Availability
The Samsung Galaxy Fold will be available for sale in the US on 25 April 2019, with a launch price of US$ 1,980.
In the United Kingdom, it will be available for pre-order on 26 April 2019, with a launch price of £1,799.
- The Samsung Galaxy M20 Infinity-V Smartphone Preview!
- The Official Samsung Galaxy M20 Price + Deals Revealed!
- The Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus (SM-G975) In-Depth Review!
- The Samsung Galaxy S10e (SM-G970) Smartphone Preview!
- The Samsung Galaxy S10 (SM-G973) Smartphone Preview!
- Samsung Galaxy S10 – Everything You Need To Know! 4.0
- Samsung Galaxy S10 Colour + Ceramic Model Comparisons!
Go Back To > Mobile Devices | Home