After months of re-engineering the Galaxy Fold, Samsung just relaunched it in South Korea, with other countries following soon!
Here are the full details on the re-engineered 2019 Samsung Galaxy Fold foldable smartphone!
The Samsung Galaxy Fold Folding Design
The killer feature of the Samsung Galaxy Fold is its eponymous foldable display, which promises to revolutionise how we use our smartphones.
Its inward folding design lets the user fold the large 7.3-inch Infinity Flex display into a much smaller form factor. However, it places great stress on the seam.
Would it be able to withstand being folded many times a day? Would it break into half, like a paper clip that has been unfolded and folded too many times?
The Official Samsung Folding Test
As part of their design process, Samsung designed a special folding test to assess the Infinity Flex foldable display’s durability.
The test basically involved folding and unfolding the Infinity Flex samples repeatedly, to see if it would withstand at least 200,000 folds and unfolds.
It took these hardworking robots a full week to complete the test!
According to Samsung, the folding test was successful, proving that their foldable display is more than tough enough to withstand daily use.
Why 200,000 folds and unfolds? That threshold was based on the requirement that the foldable display be able to withstand 100 folds and unfolds a day for at least 5 years.
Unfortunately, the Infinity Flex display of production units proved to be still too fragile for mainstream use, and the Galaxy Fold was withdrawn from the market.
Recommended : The Samsung Galaxy Fold Launch Delay + Fix Explained!
Samsung Galaxy Fold Re-Engineered
Samsung spent the last 4.5 months re-engineering the Infinity Flex display, making it tough enough to handle not only the abuse of regular use, but also the natural follies of human nature.
Finally, Samsung has done enough that they are confident enough to officially reintroduce it in South Korea, followed by other countries shortly.
Samsung Galaxy Fold Premier Service
Samsung is also introducing a new Galaxy Fold Premier Service, which gives you exclusive access to specialised customer care :
- one-to-one access to Samsung experts,
- access to a 24/7 support hub online or over the phone
We presume that the one-to-one session will be made somewhat mandatory, so that Samsung experts can teach users how to use and maintain the Infinity Flex display.
Samsung Galaxy Fold Specifications
|Specifications||Samsung Galaxy Fold|
- 7.3-inch Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex display
- 1536 x 2152 pixels (362 ppi)
-4.6-inch Super AMOLED display
- 720 x 1680 pixels (399 ppi)
|Operating System||Android 9.0 Pie|
|System Platform||Qualcomm Snapdragon 855|
|Processor||1 x Qualcomm Kryo 485 Gold (2.84 GHz)
3 x Qualcomm Kryo 485 Gold (2.42 GHz)
4 x Qualcomm Kryo 485 Silver (1.78 GHz)
|Graphics Processor||Qualcomm Adreno 640|
|Memory||12 GB LPDDR4X-4266|
|Storage||512 GB (UFS 3.0)|
|Front Cameras||Dual Lens Camera
- 10 MP selfie camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 8 MP depth sensor with f/1.9 aperture
|Rear Cameras||Triple Camera System
- 12 MP Dual Aperture camera with f/1.5 and f/2.4 apertures
- 12 MP telephoto camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 16 MP ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture
|SIM Capability||LTE : One eSIM + one nano SIM
5G : One nano SIM
|Network||LTE : 2x2 MIMO, 6CA, Cat18
- up to 1.2 Gbps DL, 150 Mbps UL
5G : Non-Standalone (NSA), Sub-6 GHz
|Connectivity||WiFi : 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz)
Bluetooth : BT 5.0
USB : USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type C
|Battery||LTE : 4,380 mAh dual battery
5G : 4,235 mAh dual battery
|Fingerprint Sensor||Yes, integrated into Power button|
|Other Sensors||Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor, Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor|
|NFC / Samsung Pay||Yes / Yes|
|Dimensions||Folded : 62.8 mm x 160.9 mm x 15.7 to 17.1 mm
Unfolded : 117.9 mm x 160.9 mm x 7.6 mm
|Colour Options||Cosmos Black / Space Silver|
Samsung Galaxy Fold Price + Availability
Samsung is making the Galaxy Fold available in these countries at these dates :
- 6 September 2019 : South Korea
- 18 September 2019 : France, Germany, Singapore, and the United Kingdom
And here are the launch prices :
- South Korea : ₩ 2,398,000 (5G model)
- United States : US$ 1,980
- United Kingdom : £ 1,799
- Malaysia : Estimated RM 8,399
- Samsung Exynos 980 – Samsung’s First 5G Mobile Platform!
- Samsung Galaxy A10s (SM-A107) : What You Need To Know!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus (SM-N975) Hands-On Preview!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 (SM-N970) Hands-On Preview!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 | Note 10+ Deals Compared!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 – Everything You Need To Know!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 | Note 10+ Colour Comparisons!
- Here Is The New Samsung Galaxy Watch Active2 Smartwatch!
- The Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus (SM-G975) In-Depth Review!
- Samsung Galaxy S10 (SM-G973) Review – Editor’s Choice!
- Samsung Galaxy S10e (SM-G970) Review – Editor’s Choice!
Go Back To > Mobile Devices | Home
Support Tech ARP!