Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 - Our Verdict, Specifications, Where To Buy!
Last year, the Samsung Galaxy A7 2017 really impressed us with a great combination of features and performance. It was also the first Galaxy A series smartphone to feature IP68 dust- and water-resistance, as well as the USB Type C port.
For 2018, Samsung chose to “split” its replacement. The Samsung Galaxy A7 2018 is really a “lite” version, and the true A7 2017 replacement is this – the Samsung Galaxy A9 2018.
Samsung introduced a number of new features. The marquee feature is the world’s first quad-camera system in the rear, and a new 24 MP front camera. Together with the Galaxy A7 2018, it is also the first Galaxy A series smartphone to feature an Infinity Display, with ultra-thin bezels.
In addition, Samsung not only doubled its memory to 6 GB, they actually quadrupled its storage capacity to 128 GB. And unlike the Galaxy A7 2018, it comes with a rear fingerprint sensor, a USB Type C port, and a larger battery with a faster 15 watt charger.
The quad camera system is a bit of an oddball. With the telephoto camera in the mix, the Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 (MY | US | UK) does not actually require the depth sensing camera. As Samsung Galaxy S9+ and Samsung Galaxy Note9 have proven, the telephoto camera can double as a depth sensor.
When it comes to photos, both its front and rear cameras are excellent, with its main 24 MP camera particularly great in low-light conditions, thanks to its fast and bright f/1.7 lens. The additional telephoto and ultra wide-angle cameras also proved to be useful in getting more creative shots.
Too bad its video recording capabilities was not as good as we expected. We also bemoan the lack of IP68 water-resistance. We hope Samsung will look into improving its video recording capabilities, and adding IP68 into next year’s model.
That said, we have to commend Samsung for the great design they adopted for the Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 (MY | US | UK). It is really a work of art. If you like a great-looking smartphone, this is definitely something to consider.
Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 Specifications
|Specifications||Samsung Galaxy A9 2018|
|Display||6.3-inch AMOLED display
-1080 x 2220 pixels
|Operating System||Android 8.1 Oreo|
|System Platform||Qualcomm Snapdragon 660|
|Processor||4 x Qualcomm Kyro 260 (2.2 GHz)
4 x Qualcomm Kyro 260 (1.8 GHz)
|Graphics Processor||Qualcomm Adreno 512|
microSD card (up to 512 GB)
|Front Camera||24 MP Sony IMX576 sensor with f/2.0 lens|
|Rear Camera||Quad Camera System
- 24 MP primary camera with f/1.7 lens and OIS
- 8 MP wide-angle camera with f/2.4 lens and 120º FOV
- 10 MP telephoto camera with f/2.4 lens
- 5 MP depth sensor with f/2.2 lens
|Connectivity||WiFi : 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (dual band)
Bluetooth : BT 5.0
USB : USB 2.0 Type C
|Battery||3,800 mAh lithium-ion battery (non-removable)|
|Fingerprint Sensor||Yes, Rear-mounted|
|Other Sensors||Accelerometer, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor|
|Samsung Pay (NFC)||Yes|
|Dimensions||77 mm wide
162.6 mm tall
7.8 mm thick
|Colour Options||Caviar Black, Lemonade Blue, Bubblegum Pink|
Where To Buy The Samsung Galaxy A9 2018
Here are some direct purchase links (accurate as of 1 February 2019) :
- Malaysia (All 3 Colours) : RM 1,999
- US (Caviar Black) : $454.99
- US (Lemonade Blue) : $450
- US (Bubblegum Pink) : $443.90
- UK (Caviar Black) : £449.99
- UK (Bubblegum Pink) : £546.98
- UK (Lemonade Blue) : £449.99
- The 4X Camera Samsung Galaxy A7 2018 (SM-A750) Review!
- The Awesome Galaxy UNPACKED 2018 For Galaxy A7 + Galaxy A9 2018!
- Samsung Galaxy Note9 Review – Quietly Revolutionary!
- The 7 Secret Galaxy Note9 S Pen Features You Never Knew!
- The Samsung Galaxy Note9 Price, Offer + Promotion Guide
- Why The Galaxy Note9 Yearly Upgrade Program Is Such A Great Deal!
- Awesome Samsung Galaxy Note9 Photo Samples From Our Taipei Trip!
Go Back To > First Page | Mobile Devices | Home
Support Tech ARP!