The Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 Review – 4X Camera, 4X Fun?

Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 Performance - Work, Gaming, Battery

Work Performance – PCMark

We tested the Samsung Galaxy A9 2018’s performance using PCMark, which simulates work applications like web browsing, playing video, writing text and editing photos.

Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 PCMark results

Work 2.0 Honor Play OPPO R17 Pro Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 Samsung Galaxy A7 2018
Performance Score 7361 6475 5867 5379
Web Browsing 7695 6572 5966 5278
Video Editing 5499 5387 5195 4413
Writing 6649 5617 5324 5056
Photo Editing 13326 10740 8445 7427
Data Manipulation 5764 5331 4987 5147
Review Links Honor Play Review OPPO R17 Pro Review Galaxy A7 2018 Review
Price Check MY | US | UK MY | US MY | US | UK MY | US | UK

Even though the Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 is a rather dated mid-range SoC, it held up admirably against the newer mobile SoCs. In fact, it was 9% faster than the Samsung Exynos 7885 used in the Galaxy A7 2018, and just 9% slower than the next-generation Qualcomm Snapdragon 710 used in the OPPO R17 Pro.

 

Gaming Performance – 3DMark

Next, we tested the Galaxy A9 2018’s gaming performance using 3DMark, using the Ice Storm Unlimited test.

Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 3DMark results

Ice Storm Unlimited Honor Play Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 OPPO R17 Pro Samsung Galaxy A7 2018
Gaming Score 31622 26082 15354 15354
Graphics 37351 29129 15788 15788
Physics 20576 19093 14005 14005
Graphics Test 1 208.9 fps 162.4 fps 136.5 fps 136.5 fps
Graphics Test 2 132.8 fps 103.8 fps 45.8 fps 45.8 fps
Physics Test 65.3 fps 60.6 fps 44.5 fps 44.5 fps
Review Links Honor Play Review OPPO R17 Pro Review Galaxy A7 2018 Review
Price Check MY | US | UK MY | US | UK MY | US MY | US | UK

Despite its age, the Galaxy A9’s Snapdragon 660 has pretty good gaming performance. It is 70% faster than the OPPO R17 Pro‘s Snapdragon 710, and comes within 17.5% of the flagship-class Kirin 970 that powers the Honor Play smartphone. Not bad!

 

Battery Life – PCMark

We then tested the Galaxy A9 2018’s battery performance using PCMark. It basically ran the PCMark work tests until its battery capacity dropped to 20%.

Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 battery life

Work 2.0 OPPO R17 Pro Samsung Galaxy A7 2018 Honor Play Samsung Galaxy A9 2018
Battery Capacity 3,700 mAh 3,300 mAh 3,750 mAh 3,800 mAh
Battery Life 11 hours 54 mins 11 hours 25 mins 9 hours 56 mins 9 hours 13 mins
Review Links OPPO R17 Pro Review Galaxy A7 2018 Review Honor Play Review
Price Check MY | US MY | US | UK MY | US | UK MY | US | UK

The problem with using an older 14 nm SoC like the Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 is the higher power consumption which results in a shorter battery life. Even though it has slightly more battery capacity, the Galaxy A9 2018 (MY | US | UK) has a shorter battery life than the two smartphones with 10 nm processors in this comparison :

  • 43 minutes (7%) shorter than the Honor Play, with its flagship-class Kirin 970; and
  • 2.5 hours (22.5%) shorter than the OPPO R17 Pro with its mid-range Snapdragon 710.

That said, 9 hours plus of battery life is nothing to sneeze at. Let’s remember – that’s over 9 hours running the benchmark non-stop. Its real-world battery life will be significantly longer

 

Battery Recharging Performance

The Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 (MY | US | UK) comes with an adaptive fast charger with a power output of 15 W. Take a look at how fast it recharged the 3,800 mAh battery.

Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 battery recharging speed

Recharging Speed OPPO R17 Pro Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 Honor Play Samsung Galaxy A7 2018
Battery Capacity 3,700 mAh 3,800 mAh 3,750 mAh 3,300 mAh
Charger Output 50 Watts 15 Watts 18 Watts 7.75 Watts
Recharging Time 33 Minutes 91.5 minutes 92 mins 115 minutes
Recharging Speed 112 mAh / minute 41.5 mAh / minute 40.7 mAh / minute 28.7 mAh / minute
Review Links OPPO R17 Pro Review Honor Play Review Galaxy A7 2018 Review
Price Check MY | US MY | US | UK MY | US | UK MY | US | UK

It took the Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 (MY | US | UK) just under 92 minutes to recharge its battery from 20% to 100%. Its 15 watt charger actually recharges faster than the Honor Play‘s 18 watt charger.

That is a battery life : recharging ratio of 6:1 – a good ratio. A rule of thumb – for one hour of battery life, charge it for 10.5 minutes.

The fastest recharging happened up to the 85% level. This took just 56 minutes. Then the recharging speed slowed down, and it took a further 35.5 minutes to top up the remaining 15%.

Next Page > Samsung Galaxy A9 2018 – Our Verdict, Specifications, Where To Buy!

 

Support Tech ARP!

If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!


Comments

comments

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: