Samsung just unveiled details of the Exynos 990 mobile platform, which boasts the new Arm Mali-G77 GPU and a new dual-core NPU!
Here is EVERYTHING you need to know about the new Samsung Exynos 990 mobile platform!
The Samsung Exynos 990 Mobile Platform
The Samsung Exynos 990 builds upon Samsung’s first mobile platform with an integrated 5G modem – the Exynos 980, but focusing on performance instead of 5G connectivity.
It boasts a range of significant improvements – new Samsung Mongoose 5 (Exynos M5) and ARM Cortex-A76 cores, and a new Arm Mali-G77 GPU.
Faster Processor + GPU
According to Samsung, its new custom Mongoose 5 (Exynos M5) cores are 20% faster than the Mongoose 4 (Exynos M4) cores used in the flagship-class Exynos 9825 used in the Galaxy Note 10 smartphones!
Its Arm Mali-G77 GPU uses the new Valhall architecture, and promises to offer a 20% boost in graphics performance or power efficiency.
Faster LPDDR5 Memory
The Exynos 990 will be the first Samsung mobile platform to use the new LPDDR5 memory, which offers a 31% higher clock speed – increased from 2093 MHz to 2750 MHz.
This allows it to deliver up to 5,500 Mbps or 687.5 MB/s in memory bandwidth. It should also allow for lower power consumption.
Faster NPU + DSP
Its AI capabilities also received a big boost with a new dual-core NPU and improved digital signal processor (DSP) that can process over 10 trillion operations (TOPS) per second!
No Built-In Modem
Interestingly, the Samsung Exynos 990 does not appear to have a built-in modem, not even for 3G and 4G connectivity.
Instead, it appears to be designed to be paired with the new Samsung Exynos Modem 5123 multi-mode 5G modem with transfer rates of up to 7.35 Gbps in mmWave, and 5.1 Gbps in sub-6GHz.
Recommended : Samsung Exynos Modem 5123 – What You Need To Know!
120 Hz Display Capability
In addition to 10-bit video and HDR display support, the Exynos 990 comes with a 120 Hz refresh rate driver.
Better Photographic Capabilities
Its advanced image signal processor (ISP) not only supports up to six image sensors, it can process images from three of them concurrently! It supports sensor resolutions of up to 108 MP.
Its Multi-Format Codec supports encoding and decoding of 8K videos at up to 30 fps, or 4K UHD videos at up to 120 frames per second. It also supports HDR10+ with dynamic mapping in videos.
Samsung Exynos 990 vs. Exynos 980
|Features||Samsung Exynos 990||Samsung Exynos 980|
|Process||7 nm EUV||8 nm FinFET|
|Design||Tri-Cluster (2+2+4)||Bi-Cluster (2+6)|
|Processor||2 x Mongoose 5 cores (2.73 GHz)
2 x Cortex-A76 cores (2.5 GHz)
4 x Cortex-A55 cores (1.9 GHz)
|2 x ARM Cortex-A77 cores (2.2 GHz)
6 x ARM Cortex-A55 cores (1.8 GHz)
|GPU||Arm Mali-G77 MP11||Arm Mali-G76 MP5|
|NPU||Yes, Dual-Core||Yes, Integrated|
|5G Modem||Separate Exynos Modem 5123
– 5.1 Gbps DL
|Integrated 5G NR Sub-6 GHz
– 2.55 Gbps DL / 1.28 Gbps UL
|LTE Modem||Separate Exynos Modem 5123
– DL : Cat.20 8CA (1.6 Gbps)
|DL : Cat.16 5CA (1 Gbps)
UL : Cat.18 2CA (200 Mbps)
|Storage||UFS 3.0 / UFS 2.1||UFS 2.1 / eMMC 5.1|
- 10GB + 12GB Samsung LPDDR4X uMCP Memory Details!
- Samsung Exynos Modem 5123 – What You Need To Know!
- The Samsung Galaxy Fold Foldable Smartphone Preview!
- The Tech ARP Samsung Galaxy Fold Care Guide!
- The Samsung Galaxy Fold Premier Service Explained!
- The Samsung Galaxy Fold Launch Delay + Fix Explained!
- The Samsung Galaxy Fold Guide For First Time Users!
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 – Everything You Need To Know!
- The Samsung IP68 Water-Resistance Technology Guide!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus (SM-N975) In-Depth Review!
- Warning : Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Does Not Have A DAC!
- Samsung Exynos 980 – Samsung’s First 5G Mobile Platform!
- Samsung Galaxy A50s | A30s | A20s For Gen Z Revealed!
- Samsung Galaxy A10s (SM-A107) : What You Need To Know!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 – Everything You Need To Know!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 | Note 10+ Colour Comparisons!
Go Back To > Mobile Devices | Business | Home
Support Tech ARP!