On 4 September 2019, Samsung unveiled their first 5G mobile platform – the Exynos 980!
Here is EVERYTHING you need to know about the Samsung Exynos 980 5G mobile platform!
The Samsung Exynos 980 5G Mobile Platform
The Samsung Exynos 980 is the first Samsung mobile platform to come with an integrated 5G modem, introduced as part of their drive to introduce the next-generation 5G smartphones.
The integration of the 5G modem will not only drive down the cost of implementing 5G, it will help reduce power consumption and space utilisation.
The Exynos 980 is, furthermore, fabricated on the 8 nm FinFET process to reduce chip size and increase power efficiency.
Samsung Exynos 980 CPU + GPU
The Samsung Exynos 980 is designed to be an upper mid-range mobile platform, with a bi-cluster CPU architecture :
- two ARM Cortex-A77 high-performance cores running at 2.2 GHz
- six ARM Cortex-A55 power-efficient cores running at 1.8 GHz
It also comes with a relatively powerful 5-core version of the ARM Mali-G76 GPU.
Samsung Exynos 980 Multi-Mode 5G Modem
The Samsung Exynos 980’s integrated multi-mode modem supports 2G to 5G connectivity.
It offers gigabit download speeds in the 4G LTE mode, and up to 2.55 Gbps download speeds in the sub-6 GHz 5G mode.
The modem also supports E-UTRA-NR Dual Connectivity (EN-DC), which combines 2CC LTE and 5G connectivity to maximise mobile downlink speed of up to 3.55 Gbps.
In addition, it supports the new Wi-Fi 6 standard – IEEE 802.11ax, that provides faster speed and greater stability.
Faster Neural Processing Unit (NPU)
The Samsung Exynos 980 comes with an integrated NPU that is 2.7X faster than its predecessor, allowing for expanded AI capabilities.[adrotate group=”2″]
Better Photographic Capabilities
The Samsung Exynos 980 supports sensors of up to 108 MP in resolution.
Its advanced image signal processor (ISP) not only supports up to five sensors, it can process images from three sensors concurrently!
Its Multi-Format Codec supports encoding and decoding of 4K UHD videos at up to 120 frames per second. It also supports HDR10+ with dynamic mapping in videos.
Samsung Exynos 980 Specifications
In this table, we compare the specifications of the Samsung Exynos 980, to the flagship-class Exynos 9825 used in the new Samsung Galaxy Note10 smartphones.
|Features||Samsung Exynos 9825||Samsung Exynos 980|
|Process||7 nm EUV||8 nm FinFET|
|Design||Tri-Cluster (2+2+4)||Bi-Cluster (2+6)|
|Processor||2 x Mongoose 4 cores (2.7 GHz)
2 x Cortex-A75 cores (2.4 GHz)
4 x Cortex-A55 cores (1.9 GHz)
|2 x ARM Cortex-A77 cores (2.2 GHz)
6 x ARM Cortex-A55 cores (1.8 GHz)
|GPU||ARM Mali-G76 MP12||ARM Mali-G76 MP5|
|NPU||Yes, Integrated||Yes, Integrated|
|5G Modem||Separate Exynos 5100||Integrated 5G NR Sub-6 GHz
– 2.55 Gbps DL / 1.28 Gbps UL
|LTE Modem||DL : Cat.20 8CA (2 Gbps)
UL : Cat.20 3CA (316 Mbps)
|DL : Cat.16 5CA (1 Gbps)
UL : Cat.18 2CA (200 Mbps)
|Storage||UFS 3.0 / UFS 2.1||UFS 2.1 / eMMC 5.1|
Samsung Exynos 980 Availability
The Samsung Exynos 980 will only begin mass production by the end of 2019, and the first smartphones using it should appear in the first quarter of 2020.
- Black Shark 2 PRO – EVERYTHING You Need To Know!
- ROG Phone 2 : Tencent vs MY / Global Edition Compared!
- The Snapdragon 855 Plus vs Snapdragon 855 Comparison!
- HUAWEI nova 5T – Flagship Performance With 5 AI Cameras!
- Samsung Galaxy A10s (SM-A107) : What You Need To Know!
- HUAWEI MediaPad M5 lite Price + Pre-Order For Malaysia!
- The HUAWEI nova 5T Preview – 5 AI Cameras FTW!
- Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro (Redmi K20 Pro) Preview + Colour Options!
- Sony Xperia 1 Heroically Challenges The Galaxy Note 10+!
- HUAWEI EMUI 10 – Everything You Need To Know!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus (SM-N975) Hands-On Preview!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 | 10 Plus Launch In Malaysia!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 (SM-N970) Hands-On Preview!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 | Note 10+ Deals Compared!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 | Note 10+ Colour Comparisons!
- Here Is The New Samsung Galaxy Watch Active2 Smartwatch!
Go Back To > Mobile Devices | Business | Home
Support Tech ARP!