The ASUS ROG Phone 2 boasts an excellent 120Hz display, but did you know that ASUS secretly set it to just 60Hz?
In this guide, we will show you how to switch the ROG Phone 2 from 60Hz to 90Hz or 120Hz!
ROG Phone 2 : 120Hz Display Stuck At 60Hz
Now, that 120Hz refresh rate is the ROG Phone 2’s key selling point. ASUS claims it gives gamers a real advantage against their opponents, as well as a nicer, silkier gaming experience.
However, unbeknownst to many – ASUS actually sets the ROG Phone 2 (MY | SG | US | UK | AU) to use a 60 Hz refresh rate, making it no different from its chief rival – the Black Shark 2 PRO (MY | SG | AU | UK).
Amazingly, many gamers and some reviewers were not aware of this. If you see people commenting on how smooth the ROG Phone 2 display looks, without mentioning they manually turned on the 120Hz refresh rate – that’s just the placebo effect! 😀
Recommended : ASUS ROG Phone 2 vs Black Shark 2 PRO : Who Wins?
Why Does The ROG Phone 2 Use 60Hz And Not 120Hz?
Simple – as we pointed out from the very beginning – the 120Hz refresh rate will use up a lot more power than 60Hz.
Both the Qualcomm Adreno 640 GPU and the ROG Phone 2’s AMOLED display, has to work twice as hard with a 120Hz refresh rate, compared to 60Hz.
But ASUS also knew that reviewers and early users would comment about the poorer battery life, even with such a large battery. So the solution was apparently to quietly set the AMOLED display to use a 60Hz refresh rate.
Recommended : Why ROG Phone 2 STRIX Is BETTER Than Elite / Ultimate!
ROG Phone 2 : How To Turn On 90Hz / 120Hz Refresh Rate!
Now, poorer ROG Phone 2 battery life aside, it would be really foolish to pay so much more for a 120Hz display only to have it run at 60Hz. That would be like buying a Porsche with a 80 km/h speed limiter installed.
ASUS offers a total of three ROG Phone 2 refresh rate options – 60Hz (default), 90Hz and 120Hz.
You can switch the refresh rate on-the-fly, but unfortunately, it’s not part of Quick Settings. ASUS buried it in the Display settings.
Here is the quickest way to switch the ROG Phone 2’s refresh rate :
- Swipe down from the top of the ROG Phone 2 display to access Quick Settings.
- Tap on the Settings icon at the lower right corner, to bring up the Settings screen.
- Tap on the Display option.
- Under Display settings, tap on the Refresh rate option.
- You will see that your ROG Phone 2 is set to use 60 Hz by default.
- You can now select either 90 Hz or 120 Hz.
Just select the refresh rate you prefer, and the display will flicker a little as it changes the refresh rate.
That’s it – you are ready to go! Enjoy the higher refresh rate!
ASUS ROG Phone 2 : Where To Buy
Here are online purchase options for the ASUS ROG Phone 2 :
- Malaysia : 12GB + 512GB | 12GB + 512GB
- Singapore : 8GB + 128 GB | 12GB + 512GB
- United States : 12GB + 512GB
- United Kingdom : 8GB + 128GB | 12GB + 512GB | 12GB + 1TB
- Australia : 8GB + 128GB | 12GB + 512GB
You can also purchase the much cheaper ROG Phone 2 Tencent Edition in the grey market. *
* Please note that if you purchase a grey market Tencent unit, you will not be entitled to warranty outside of China.
- Why ROG Phone 2 STRIX Is BETTER Than Elite / Ultimate!
- ASUS ROG Phone 2 vs Black Shark 2 PRO : Who Wins?
- Black Shark 2 PRO In-Depth Review : A Real Gaming Beast!
- ASUS ROG Phone 2 Malaysia – What You Need To Know!
- Why ROG Phone II Tencent Is Better Than The Global Edition!
- Black Shark 2 PRO – EVERYTHING You Need To Know!
- ASUS ROG Phone 2 Global vs Tencent Edition Comparison!
- The Snapdragon 855 Plus vs Snapdragon 855 Comparison!
- HUAWEI nova 5T – Flagship Performance With 5 AI Cameras!
- Samsung Galaxy A10s (SM-A107) : What You Need To Know!
- HUAWEI MediaPad M5 lite Price + Pre-Order For Malaysia!
- The HUAWEI nova 5T Preview – 5 AI Cameras FTW!
- Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro (Redmi K20 Pro) Preview + Colour Options!
- Sony Xperia 1 Heroically Challenges The Galaxy Note 10+!
- HUAWEI EMUI 10 – Everything You Need To Know!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus (SM-N975) Hands-On Preview!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 | 10 Plus Launch In Malaysia!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 (SM-N970) Hands-On Preview!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 | Note 10+ Deals Compared!
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 | Note 10+ Colour Comparisons!
- Here Is The New Samsung Galaxy Watch Active2 Smartwatch!
Go Back To > Mobile Devices | Gaming | Home
Support Tech ARP!