HUAWEI Mate 20 Verdict + Award, Full Specifications, Purchase Links
Our Verdict + Award
The HUAWEI Mate 20 (US | UK | MY) is a seriously impressive smartphone. Powered by the very powerful HiSilicon Kirin 980, it trounced its rivals in both work and gaming performance. If that’s not impressive enough – it delivered all that performance with an exceptionally long battery life!
It also boasts serious camera chops with a 24 MP front camera, and a Leica triple lens camera. Far from being a marketing ploy, the Mate 20 delivers incredibly detailed photos with a very useful automatic macro mode, and a Wide Aperture mode for greater bokeh effects.
Now, it’s not perfect. HUAWEI made a particularly controversial decision in swapping out the microSD card slot for the new NM card slot. Only HUAWEI currently makes and sells NM cards, so buying the Mate 20 means you either pay HUAWEI a premium for their new NM card, or stick to internal storage.
HUAWEI also made the questionable decision of limiting the front camera to 720p video recording. Now, we understand the need to differentiate the cheaper HUAWEI Mate 20 (US | UK | MY) from its more expensive Mate 20 Pro brother. However, why set the limit to 720p, and not 1080p? It is, after all, the year 2018… not 2016.
But other than these two issues we are pointing out, the HUAWEI Mate 20 (US | UK | MY) is an exceptionally good deal. Hence, we have no qualms awarding it our Editor’s Choice Award. Congratulations, HUAWEI, on a job well-done!
HUAWEI Mate 20 Purchase Links
Here are some direct purchase links for your convenience :
- HUAWEI Mate 20 (Twilight) : US$707.97 | £755
- HUAWEI Mate 20 (Black) : US$739.00 | RM 2,799
- HUAWEI Mate 20 (Blue) : £775 | RM 2,799
Full HUAWEI Mate 20 Specifications
|Display||6.53-inch IPS display
- 1080 x 2244 pixels (381 ppi)
- DCI-P3 colour gamut
|Operating System||Android 9.0 Pie|
|System Platform||HiSilicon Kirin 980|
|Processor||2 x ARM Cortex-A76 cores (2.6 GHz)
2 x ARM Cortex-A76 cores (1.92 GHz)
4 x ARM Cortex-A55 cores (1.8 GHz)
|NPU||HiSilicon M1 x 2|
|Graphics Processor||ARM Mali-G76 MP24|
|Memory||4 GB or 6 GB LPDDR4x|
|Storage||128 GB internal storage
NM card slot (up to 256 GB)
|Front Camera||24 MP sensor with f/2.0 lens|
|Rear Camera||Triple Leica Camera System
- 12 MP wide-angle camera with f/1.8 lens
- 16 MP ultra-wide-angle camera with f/2.2 lens
- 8 MP telephoto camera with f/2.4 lens
|Connectivity||Network : LTE Cat. 21, LTE Cat. 13
WiFi : 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (dual band)
USB 3.1 Type C
|GPS||GPS (L1 + L5 dual band) / AGPS / Glonass / BeiDou / Galileo (E1 + E5a dual band) / QZSS (L1 + L5 dual band)|
|Fingerprint Sensor||Yes, Rear-Mounted|
|Other Sensors||Gravity, Ambient Light, Proximity, Gyroscope, Compass, Hall Sensor, Laser Sensor, Barometer, Infra-red, Colour Temperature|
|Battery||4,000 mAh Li-Po battery
- supports fast-charging
- supports 15 W wireless charging
|Dimensions||77.2 mm wide
158.2 mm tall
8.3 mm thick
Suggested Reading[adrotate group=”2″]
- The Official HUAWEI Kirin 980 Tech Briefing + Demos!
- How Fast Is The Huawei Kirin 970 NPU?
- The HUAWEI Kirin 970 Deep Dive Tech Report
- Neffos X9 vs. Huawei nova 3 lite – Which Is The Better Deal?
- Huawei 2018 H1 Result Highlights After Surpassing Apple As No. 2
- HUAWEI nova 3e Price, Specifications + Tech Briefing
- HUAWEI P20 Pro Twilight Edition Hands-On Preview!
- HUAWEI P20 Pro Recalled After Shipping With Real ROM!
Go Back To > First Page | Mobile Devices | Home
Support Tech ARP!