HUAWEI Mate 20 with Triple Leica Cameras In-Depth Review!

HUAWEI Mate 20 Performance - Work, Gaming, Battery, Recharging Speed

Work Performance – PCMark

We tested the HUAWEI Mate 20’s performance using PCMark, which simulates work applications like web browsing, playing video, writing text and editing photos.

HUAWEI Mate 20 PCMark results

Work 2.0 HUAWEI Mate 20 Honor Play Samsung
Galaxy Note9
Samsung
Galaxy A7
Performance Score
(Average)
10215 7361 5557 5379
Web Browsing 10960 7695 5763 5278
Video Editing 6147 5499 5410 4413
Writing 12506 6649 5421 5056
Photo Editing 20262 13326 5898 7427
Data Manipulation 6514 5764 5316 5147
Review
Price Check
Review
Price Check
Review
Price Check

The new HiSilicon Kirin 980 demonstrated just how fast it is. It beat the Honor Play, which uses the last-generation Kirin 970, by almost 39%! It was almost 84% faster than the Exynos 9810 used in the Samsung Galaxy Note9, and is 90% faster than the Exynos 7885 used in the Galaxy A7 2018.

Gaming Performance – 3DMark

Next, we tested the HUAWEI Mate 20’s gaming performance using 3DMark, using the Ice Storm Unlimited test.

HUAWEI Mate 20 3DMark results

Ice Storm Unlimited HUAWEI Mate 20 Samsung
Galaxy Note9
Honor Play Samsung
Galaxy A7
Gaming Score 61595 42598 31622 15354
Graphics 72523 51199 37351 15788
Physics 40327 26825 20576 14005
Graphics Test 1 386.2 fps 330.2 fps 208.9 fps 136.5 fps
Graphics Test 2 266.4 fps 167.9 fps 132.8 fps 45.8 fps
Physics Test 128.0 fps 85.2 fps 65.3 fps 44.5 fps
Review
Price Check
Review
Price Check
Review
Price Check

The HiSilicon Kirin 980 once again proved its superiority. It was almost twice as fast as its predecessor, the Kirin 970 (which powered the Honor Play.

Impressively, it proved to be 45% faster than the Samsung Galaxy Note9, and was 4X faster than the Galaxy A7 2018!

Battery Life – PCMark

We then tested the HUAWEI Mate 20’s battery performance using PCMark. It basically ran the PCMark work tests until its battery capacity dropped to 20%.

HUAWEI Mate 20 battery life

Work 2.0 HUAWEI Mate 20 Samsung
Galaxy A7
Samsung
Galaxy Note9
Honor Play
Battery Life 12 hours 19 mins 10 hours 25 mins 10 hours 15 mins 9 hours 56 mins
  Review
Price Check
Review
Price Check
Review
Price Check

Even though it has the same battery capacity as the Samsung Galaxy Note9, and is almost twice as fast in the Work 2.0 test, the Mate 20 lasted two hours longer in this stress test!

This means the HUAWEI Mate 20 (US | UK | MY) is about 20% more efficient than the Galaxy Note9. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Battery Recharging Performance

The HUAWEI Mate 20 comes with a 22.5 watt HUAWEI SuperCharge power adaptor. Let’s see how fast it recharges the 4,000 mAh battery.

HUAWEI Mate 20 battery recharging speed

It took the HUAWEI Mate 20 (US | UK | MY) just over 118 minutes (1 hour 58 minutes) to recharge its battery from 20% to 100%. Not particularly good performance, considering it’s using a high-powered 22.5 watt charger.

The Samsung Galaxy Note9, in comparison, took under 107 minutes (1 hour 47 minutes) to recharge its 4,000 mAh battery with a less powerful 15 watt charger. The Note9 is thus 9% faster and 14% more efficient than the Mate 20 in this aspect.

This slower battery recharging speed gives the HUAWEI Mate 20 (US | UK | MY) a battery life : recharging ratio of 6.3 : 1 – a good ratio. A rule of thumb – for one hour of battery life, charge it for 9.5 minutes.

The fastest recharging happened up to the 90% level. This took just under 84 minutes. Then the recharging speed slowed down, and it took a further 35.5 minutes to top up the remaining 10%.

Next Page > HUAWEI Mate 20 Verdict + Award, Full Specifications, Purchase Links

Support Tech ARP!

If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!


Comments

comments

About The Author

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: